When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
wow that is incredible!. what battery does the car have?
my nissan 350z could just about do 450 miles on a tank of fuel (ok admittedly that isnt the most representative ICE car :D ) but still, 400 miles range is at least approaching petrol tank of fuel range.

as always YMMV but for me at least, what i lose time wise in the rare time i need to stop to recharge publicly - and even rarer time that that doesn't coincide with when i need to stop anyway - the time saved not having to visit a petrol station because i charge at home >90% of the time massively swings time saved in my favour, and that is with a car with only maybe 70% of the range of yours..

btw.... and this is leaning a little OT now, but so far in May, it is looking like my comparatively small in modern standards roof solar system is generating as much electricity as our house and TWO EVs use... (we dont actually charge our cars from the panels very often for reasons which are covered in the relevant topic....)
It’s got the 80kwh with 77kwh usable

Soldato
I am not comparing them. I just want a 5 series Estate sized car with 300-400 BHP with a range of 300+ miles to replace what I currently have.

There are literally a handful of estate EV's to choose from in 2024.

Okay but even a brand new delivery mileage 530e hybrid is 50k so where am I going to save 30k by running the EV?

Leasing doesn't really matter but is also the best way to waste money too (Unless of salary sacrifice). I have always bought cash or cash + unprotected loan so I do understand in that respect I am in the minority.
You’re not going to make up the price delta, I think that’s pretty clear.

I’ve also got no idea how BMW justify the ~£20+k price delta either.

All the incentives are geared up for company cars. I just can’t see how they are all justified when private buyers get nothing. When you stack them it’s a huge incentive.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Likewise, if you are leasing/PCPing a new car, which most people do, it doesn’t really matter.

What?

Of course it matters! What do you think the biggest influence on the cost of a lease or a personal contract plan is?

It's the expected depreciation from new over the term.

Soldato
What?

Of course it matters! What do you think the biggest influence on the cost of a lease or a personal contract plan is?

It's the expected depreciation from new over the term.

The reality is that RRP doesn’t matter in a ‘first party’ sale because a) no one pays it and b) they use various pricing leavers to fudge it to hit a monthly price.

Manufacturer/dealer contributions, in house finance offers etc etc.

Associate
Yup the lovely temperature increase this weekend had a noticeable impact on range with my typically inefficient Volvo despite AC and motorway running, I almost hit the WLTP numbers :eek: :cry:

Soldato
First commute in the Rivian today and it's definitely thirsty!

It basically uses twice as much electricity as the Model S on the same trip :eek:

aKcbzSB.jpeg

Soldato
yes - he completed his commute , without recharge, goal accomplished ...
whats the US energy price - less than out 7.5p/10c /kwh cost ?

Soldato
Oh look another bloody question from the inhouse Google-fu!

How about this one. Who cares? He wouldn't have got the Rivian if it was of any concern.
As pretty much the first post about the thing is stating how it uses twice as much energy as his Model S for the same trip I'd take a punt that OllyM cares.

Whether it is a problem to him or not is another matter.

Soldato
As pretty much the first post about the thing is stating how it uses twice as much energy as his Model S for the same trip I'd take a punt that OllyM cares.

Im not too interested in US prices of electricty and if jpaul is he should Google it, or ask a straight forward question.

Ie. How much is your electricity tarriff over there?

I can tell you my F type mpg too, or my crappy EV IPACE doing 2.5miles/kWh #legacyauto worse EV in the world.com. Doesn't mean it bothers me, or the price of electricity being SOOOOOOOOOOOOO ridiculous when public charging that it adds £20 to a £600 Easter break in Cornwall? OllyM isn't a moron so clues here would be he has a Model S and a Rivian R1T. Cares and having problem is literally the same thing yet you have seperated them in a pointless quoting of my message to the Pope Moron. Who first suggests it LESS than an EV specific off tarriff rate that he calls 'ours' when hes not on it and doesnt have an EV; the mind boggles.

Last edited:
Soldato
The warmer weather is definitely making a huge difference to range, although some of the efficiency readings I'm getting can't be right.

With Aircon set to 20c, outside temp 22c, we got 7m/kwh on a 6 mile journey with little traffic. It seems way too good.

Driving with the Aircon completely off, 22c outside, it showed an average of 12m/kwh! That's clearly either wrong or an average over a very short part of the journey when there was lots of regen.

Caporegime
I’m still
The warmer weather is definitely making a huge difference to range, although some of the efficiency readings I'm getting can't be right.

With Aircon set to 20c, outside temp 22c, we got 7m/kwh on a 6 mile journey with little traffic. It seems way too good.

Driving with the Aircon completely off, 22c outside, it showed an average of 12m/kwh! That's clearly either wrong or an average over a very short part of the journey when there was lots of regen.
i can get negative going down a hill so I reckon you have gone down a hill.

Winter has a massive impact on range. So now we are in the temperatures where batteries like to be it should be no surprise.

Obviously there are people who still think winter impacts EV the same as an ICE though.

Caporegime

Think it was more of an observation from him. For all we know he has free electric and really doesn’t care but shared the data point ?

Soldato
Obviously there are people who still think winter impacts EV the same as an ICE though.
given ICE cars are inefficient, but one of those inefficiencies is loss through heat, it stands to reason that ICE cars will do better in winter.... rather than having to run a heater draining the battery, the cars own waste heat can be used to warm the car.
they are still and will always be less efficient than an EV.... but petrol/diesel is a pretty amazing store of energy so it hides the inefficiency a lot more than a battery... (does anyone care if they do 20 miles less in winter over summer if they are still getting 500 miles?)

anyone who knows nothing about EVs but buy one anyway in the summer months are going to have a bit of a wake up call in the depths of winter........

but (in the case of our i3 and ipace anyway) it isnt *that* bad. perhaps if we had a beast from the east -15 degrees again i would feel different.... but -2 degress, not such a problem for us at least.

Back
Top Bottom