When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
The Ford explorer is basically an ID.4 underneath isn’t it?

I do find it a little odd that the only 2 EVs they’ve bought to market so far, while different, are effectively in the same category.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wish ford would bring out a proper E.mustang.
by all accounts the Mach E is a solid car and the blue cruise I think would be perfect for my aging parents....... but the Mustang is not meant to be an SUV imo,.it's proportions just look all wrong to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Soldato
SUVs have the broadest appeal though. I'd just accept that "Mustang" as you knew it is gone. It's now just another sub brand of Ford.

Like Cupra is to Seat. What was once the performance brand is now just the alternative brand.

Soldato
Dodge doing their genuine ev charger muscle car ... so ford will see if there is a market segment, it's front looked like the bmw neue-klasse.
ie https://youtu.be/RyWWPEbHT-I?t=524

mach-e looks nice, see one most days, UK insurance seemed exhorbitant, probably because it's drive train seems rather Frankenstein - they don't have a dedicated/shared platform.

Soldato

Mustang makes a great hire car but I’m not sure I’d want to live with one on the day to day. They are just not very practical (god I’m getting old!). If you are going to have an impractical car, might as well go the whole hog and get a proper 2 seater.

I’m just not sure the form factor of cars like the Mustang really adds much value in EV form. I guess it would have a massive frunk but the cabin would be tiny.

If you redesigned the Mustang to take advantage of the packaging differences of an EV platform, you’d basically just end up with a 3 door Porsche Tycan that wasn’t as plush inside.

Associate
Yup Mustang is so small inside, I feel it is easier getting in and out of my MX5 than a Mustang. Such a small large car :D Probably doesn't help I'm a chunky lad :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
When are we going to get the super cheap Chinese models over here? Because if the UK government really want to hit EV targets the sheer up front price of most EVs must be a huge deterrent?

Either have to subsidise current models
Let cheap Chinese models in
Give up on targets.

Seems like new cat prices in general are over the limit that most want to pay now.

Especially when you add on insurance costs which have ballooned

Soldato
The targets are not targets, they are rules. If manufacturers don’t sell a certain % of EVs, they’ll get fined. That number is 80% by 2030. They can of course buy credits from those exceeding the target but that just pushes up The cost of their ICE cars making them less competitive.

There is no ‘ah we didn’t make it this year but we promise to do it next year’.

Last edited:
Associate
i know this is about full electric, but i drove a hybrid a3 last week and I was so impressed with how it felt while getting close to 75mpg. I was seriously considering looking into one or something like a GTE

And then electric ran out and it had to charge from the engine and that changed everything. it felt so heavy and sluggish :(

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
The VAG PHEV's have a small 1.4 engine, so it can feel poor without the electric motor. Ive tried the PHEV peugeot was quite a decent car. The 330e is prob the best phev thats decent to drive and reasonably economical.

To be fair, i'd not buy a PHEV with my own money, they only really make sense as a company car.

Soldato
The targets are not targets, they are rules. If manufacturers don’t sell a certain % of EVs, they’ll get fined. That number is 80% by 2030. They can of course buy credits from those exceeding the target but that just pushes up The cost of their ICE cars making them less competitive.

There is no ‘ah we didn’t make it this year but we promise to do it next year’.
I am not so sure.
the government have already reversed ferreted on one target regarding ICE vehicles are you really confident they won't do it again.

also I thought they specifically could miss the target 1 year and promise to take it out of the following years allowance (this kicking can down the road)

Soldato
I am not so sure.
the government have already reversed ferreted on one target regarding ICE vehicles are you really confident they won't do it again.

also I thought they specifically could miss the target 1 year and promise to take it out of the following years allowance (this kicking can down the road)
They’ve only reverse course on a tiny element of the policy, the substance of the policy still remains.

ICE cars in the forms of PHEVs were always available until 2035 under the ‘old’ policy.

This isn’t just about the UK either, car manufacturers are not going to be producing ICE cars for the UK market if there is no wider market for them. It’s not like further emissions reduction regulations are going away either.

Associate
The VAG PHEV's have a small 1.4 engine, so it can feel poor without the electric motor. Ive tried the PHEV peugeot was quite a decent car. The 330e is prob the best phev thats decent to drive and reasonably economical.

To be fair, i'd not buy a PHEV with my own money, they only really make sense as a company car.
yeah i cant imagine repair bills being cheap on a PHEV

Soldato
yes - I did read the POV that you may only be able to fix&diagnose your 330e at $$$bmw

Let cheap Chinese models in
Give up on targets.

What's Kier said ? - but the chinese electric vehicle import taxes (& rules of origin we might apply to those) are up to the UK ,
to choose to drive consumption of vehicles with higher use of UK/EU resources. ... no equivalent of Biden's policy yet

Associate
My model 3 arrived on Wednesday. Taking it on a 240 mile drive tonight. So far done about 250 miles in it and it’s very nice to drive.

I got the slow one and the acceleration is quite impressive.

Switched to Octopus Intelligent in like 15 mins (from GO) and my export goes from 8 to 15p now.

So for cost to drive is about 1.6p per mile so will be making a good profit on HMRC advisory rates.

Back
Top Bottom