When are you going fully electric?

oooo got into work this morning and my pivi pro MY21 ipace tells me i have a software update..... the 1st one since August 2023... it has skipped a good few updates so will be interested to see if there are any improvements.

Which software has been prompted - 4.1.1 is decent.

‘What’s new?’ customer

release summary With our continued drive to deliver improvements to your vehicle, this update brings enhancements to the following systems: Wireless Device Charging: Improved detection and adaption to phones resulting in the initiation of charging being less sensitive to device location. Updates to communication with Apple devices running the latest iOS releases.

High Voltage (HV) Battery Charge Control:
Changes to the control of the charging cable locking pin to reduce the possibility of an unresponsive locking pin.
Changes to the charge indicator LED behaviour
· The flashing white LED charge indicator no longer illuminates when attempting to plug-in the charge cable when the locking pin is already in a locked position.
· If the charging pin is stuck in a midway position during locking attempt, a Rapid flashing white LED to indicate the error condition. In such cases recommend removal/reinsertion of charging cable. Sound System: General calibration & system volume refinements including a fix for an issue where the audio could be heard through an incorrect speaker channel.

ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System): General refinement improvements.
Vehicles without Surround Cameras: Added automatic display of the rear view when the vehicle rolls back plus other general performance improvements.

Powertrain: . Jaguar I-PACE (21MY Only – already included in later models): Improvements to cold weather range prediction accuracy.

Improved support for Charge Now. Fixed Time charging now works across multiple days. Improved range estimation for vehicles fitted with 20" wheels. Improved range estimation impact influenced by the vehicle’s climate control system. Range estimation updates more frequently, preventing unexpected range drop off at lower range values.

its 4.1 (something)

iirc it said 4.1 _____ with a solid while line so didnt show which variant of 4.1 it is. either way, once it gets this update hopefully it will open the doors for future changes.

It should do that range OK but will need charged very regularly. For £16k there are other cars that are going to give more range.

MG4
MG ZS
eC4

Though the MX30 is better appointed than all of the above. As long as all it is for is commutes and never goes longer range, it will be fine.
Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve read concerns about the MG models particularly they suffer with huge reliability issues and the limited dealer network isn't great when it comes to after-sales service and support.

While the MX-30’s range is on the lower side, it seems like a better fit for my needs in terms of quality and features.

MG reliability issues on the EVs?

dont MG offer one of the best warranties in the business with their EVs?

I've got 7 years on both car and battery.
Looking at the reliability issues it's people moaning at the Lane Assistance and even the indicators are a bit loud :)
Funnily enough my choice was made because it was 3rd on a reliability test in a Car magazine - Mini was top with Nissan Leaf next and I was interested in either.

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve read concerns about the MG models particularly they suffer with huge reliability issues and the limited dealer network isn't great when it comes to after-sales service and support.

I have two within spitting distance of me.

Last edited:

While the MX-30’s range is on the lower side, it seems like a better fit for my needs in terms of quality and features.

It’s all relative and down to what your priorities are. So if range is not a problem then an MX30 will be perfectly fine and certainly a much nicer place to be than an MG4 which does look cheap by comparison.

MG reliability issues on the EVs?

dont MG offer one of the best warranties in the business with their EVs?
It's very limited from my research, though the headline is 7 years. Not so much on their EV's but in general. Steering racks falling off, etc. I appreciate people only complain when it's bad but What Car also scored the ZS as unreliable.

Renault 5 got a good write up on Autocar:

so glad it does not dissapoint.

since seeing the early prototype i have wanted that car......... definitely on the short list for when we replace the wifes i3 (albeit hopefully not for a good 5 years or so) (very minor gripe - i wish the streamlined door handles - like on my ipace - had made it into the final design, maybe something for a year 3 facelift)

Last edited:
r5 french youtube driving review - a single physical button to defeat ADAS and firm suspension the main take-aways, charge level displayed in bonnet badge - the megane e-tech is itself pretty cute design in the flesh,
so I think it would come down to practicality - megane had some favourable comments on it's handling, does it have a different suspension, but r5 is already multi-link

Update on the KIA EV6 they test drove it and said all fine then they went to move it again and the mechanic got locked inside and they found 4 faults needing new parts from KIA , expect a couple of weeks wait we've been told.
:(

Back
Top Bottom