When are you going fully electric?

Associate
Prices on electric are going to fall hard and fast. VWG already can make an electric car for the same money as an equivalent ICE. Once production and software is up to full speed next year the amount of product and choice will increase dramatically.

Soldato
There will be an 80kWh battery that will charge at 150kW and give a range up to 370 miles.
I see there cars coming that can be charged at 150KW

Am pretty sure electricians would laugh at me if i phoned them and asked for a 150KW charger to be installed at home

WOW 350KW Fast chargers being installed in America :eek:
https://www.greencarcongress.com/2018/04/201080418-walmart.html

What the highest KW chargers installed in the UK ?

Last edited:
Soldato
The same, 350kw.

It's not something you need on your drive and they cost an absolute fortune to run because of how much power they shove in your car at once.

Most people with a drive can get away with just charging from a 13A socket because they drive so little in a day. A 7Kw socket for some is more than fine.

Soldato
Are you allowed to feed a 240v cable across a busy public pavement by using something like this ? :confused: (guessing this wouldn't be very safe if it rained :( )
Am Trying to work out how i could charge a car at home

o8yWoOw.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Are you allowed to feed a 240v cable across a busy public pavement by using something like this ? :confused:

Are we going to go around in this circle again where you are 'interested' in an EV, but then can't charge at home, but you live on an island the size of a postage stamp but think you'll need to charge every day, and that there are only two public chargers so a bEV is completely out of the question?

Soldato
Are we going to go around in this circle again where you are 'interested' in an EV, but then can't charge at home
Yes as am still interested in an EV...But still need to work out how i can charge it :(

but you live on an island the size of a postage stamp but think you'll need to charge every day, and that there are only two public chargers so a bEV is completely out of the question?
Just because i live on a small island doesn't mean i don't take the car away to France & England

I do worry how easy it is to do trips in a EV like last time i went away i got off the fast ferry at 11.45pm and drove till 4.30am to my destination

Same as when i came back from Andorra to St-Malo i did 800miles in one day how easy is this to do in a little EV ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes as am still interested in an EV...But still need to work out how i can charge it :(

Just because i live on a small island doesn't mean i don't take the car away to France & England

I do worry how easy it is to do trips in a EV like last time i went away i got off the fast ferry at 11.45pm and drove till 4.30am to my destination

Same as when i came back from Andorra to St-Malo i did 800miles in one day how easy is this to do in a little EV ?

If these are your requirements for a car stick to petrol or diesel and review the situation in a few years time as the tech may improve by then.

it’s more for people that commute with the occasional long journey with a bit of planning at the moment. When the lead was launched it was for people living in cities and short commutes so the tech has improved.

Travelling salesmen doing 200 miles a day or people like you driving for 800 miles in a day just wouldn’t be ok.

Soldato
The same, 350kw.

It's not something you need on your drive and they cost an absolute fortune to run because of how much power they shove in your car at once.

Most people with a drive can get away with just charging from a 13A socket because they drive so little in a day. A 7Kw socket for some is more than fine.

I could just about make my car work with a 13a charger but once I came back late with a few percent and it wasn’t fully charged by the next morning, after that I bought a proper charger to charge at 32m/h

Man of Honour
Funny thing is I live in the middle of nowhere - little but countryside for miles in each direction - but there are 7 charging stations within ~10 minute drive of me (and would be no issues charging at home).

Soldato
My concern about going electric is there seems to be no indication from Government how they replace falling duties on petrol/diesel as people move to electric (maybe a per mile charge), I can't imagine they will continue not to TAX electric vehicles going forward, any news on this?

Soldato
My concern about going electric is there seems to be no indication from Government how they replace falling duties on petrol/diesel as people move to electric (maybe a per mile charge), I can't imagine they will continue not to TAX electric vehicles going forward, any news on this?

Probably road pricing/tolls enforced by the smart motorway ANPR network. Although it’s all just speculation at this point!

Soldato

You are concerned that you are missing on out paying tax if you buy an EV? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom