When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
How much you selling it for, and what are you replacing it with? :)

I won't answer the former until it has sold, and I'm unsure about the latter. Macan and M340i Touring are in the crosshair at the moment. Don't want to clog up this thread with that stuff though.

I may do a write up on my experience and opinion of EVs once it has sold. I don't drink the Elon Kool-Aid and like to think that I am quite objective about the whole thing.

Associate
The other thing is that whilst things like the Model 3 LR are occupying a similar price bracket to getting into something like an M340i (as well as similar performance numbers), as much as I might want to try EV, a big part of me also thinks "I've got another 10/20/30/40 years of driving to do EV, I might not get a sensible chance to enjoy some half decent petrol cars if I don't do it now" and as you say - without doing big miles to make significant savings on fuel, it's a hard choice to go Model 3 LR over M340i (as an example)

If you try an EV I expect you'll find you dont want the 340i though. I moved from a high spec F31 3 series to a Model 3 and it is so much better I struggle to find the words to explain it. Driving even a 'nice' petrol now just feels really old fashioned.
Petrol cars will still exist for our lifetimes as weekend playthings. If you can get into a Model 3 I would really recommend you try one.

Underboss
as i am still keeping an eye on prices for a 2nd hand EV

I know i need to see them in the flesh to eventually decide what i want but 7K ish at the moment by the looks of things

not sure on the Zoe, but with the leaf id get a 2015/2016 top spec model

so looking at the Zoe from the start dates 2014, how much does the battery lease cost a year ?
im assuming its mileage dependant ? i do very little miles..

im trying to compare the two in cost, to see which would be cheaper for me to own for many many years

thanks

Soldato
so best to buy it out then ? how much would that cost ?

You ask RCI, and they give you a figure based on that exact vehicle, there is a discount per year up to the minimum of £3,000 I think. Best check with RCI, to get the exact figures, you do it through a dealer I believe when you want to complete the transaction.

Soldato
ok thanks Journey

probably best to just get an owned battery Zoe ?

It seems that a great number of the dealers who are taking trade-ins are buying out the batteries themselves in order to make them easier to sell. I'd just look at both options, and find the best car you like, then get the costs from the dealer, or RCI. Loads of folk don't know about this, so you can strike a good deal if buying privately and then buy out the battery, you just need need VIN/reg for RCI and current owner details as far as I am aware to get the buy out price.

Associate
I really can't understand people's fear of Evs that I see in so many articles and chats with people.

It's bizarre that they worry about range when they barely do 50-100 miles a week, let alone 200+ miles a day.

Then there's the idea that it's hard to charge and electric vehicle when they have a driveway and garage that would be perfect for it.

I hope that when they get to actually try an EV they will realise that they aren't driven by the devil and that they aren't somehow becoming more'woke' or a 'leftie weirdo' the longer they sit in the car.

I am really looking forward to seeing what is available when my wife's 1.0 litre Karoq comes up to the end of its lease next summer. She would be the ideal candidate for an EV as long as the purchase/lease costs are equal (or equalised due to lower running costs).

Roll on EV test drives!

Soldato
I When you look at the costs per charge - home charging isn't cost effective either.

:confused:

Home charging costs peanuts. I pay between 4p and 5p per kWh most nights, which equates to around 1.14p to 1.4p per mile. That's the cost equivalent of 400-500 miles per gallon (based on £5.60 per gallon fuel price).

Even at a more typical 14p per kWh (which you'd be mad to pay if you own an EV, given the myriad cheaper alternatives), you're getting the cost equivalent of 140 mpg.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
How do the cheap tarrifs stack up during the day tho, if most of your usage is during the day, then you could potentially be worse off?

Weve taken a hard look at our car usage, and we can make a boggo leaf work as the wifes car, and im going to stick with a phev for 3 years and hopefully after that, i'll go full electric if i can get a car with easily attainable range of 400 miles. Even the PHEV works for me, as most of my private journeys are tootling around town.

Soldato
How do the cheap tarrifs stack up during the day tho, if most of your usage is during the day, then you could potentially be worse off?

Weve taken a hard look at our car usage, and we can make a boggo leaf work as the wifes car, and im going to stick with a phev for 3 years and hopefully after that, i'll go full electric if i can get a car with easily attainable range of 400 miles. Even the PHEV works for me, as most of my private journeys are tootling around town.

I'm on Octopus Go Faster, and even their normal "day" (03:30-00:30) rates are really good - 13.72p/kw

Soldato

I'm on Octopus Agile and my average kWh price was just over 5p for the past month.

Soldato

Octopus forgot to charge me for electricity for six months. They finally got around to billing me last week, so it's pretty easy to check my average price (it's on the bill). For the time I've been on Agile, I've paid an average of 7.2p per kWh.

The next six months will be more informative of the norm though. Wholesale electricity prices were very low during lockdown, but OTOH most of our usage was daytime as I went from 200-250 miles per week down to 10-15 miles. Once I'm back to normal mileage, we'll be using an extra 50-60 kWh per week at 4-5p per kWh (overnight pricing) so the average may not change much.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The more I think about this the more I think that PHEV is probably the short term answer especially to the environmental issues. It's around town that the problem of ICE vehicles is at its greatest and a PHEV allows zero emissions running in the city and then a proper, convenient ICE engine with all of the benefits that brings when you get out onto the open road.

If we had the vast majority of cars PHEV we could enforce things like zero emission urban environments without the need for the enormous infrastructure challenge of full EV.

But I fear that the only way we'll ever really get to something like that is through legal or tax push factors. Because really, right now, putting petrol in the tank and driving off is cheap, convenient and easy. So really, unless you love being an early adopter and playing with cool tech there is very little reason to purchase an EV*

*Unless you are a company car driver, but thats exactly what I mean - tax push factors are driving that not the cars themselves. It's the same reason everyone had a 330e 3 years ago and a diesel 10 years ago.

Soldato
The more I think about this the more I think that PHEV is probably the short term answer especially to the environmental issues. It's around town that the problem of ICE vehicles is at its greatest and a PHEV allows zero emissions running in the city and then a proper, convenient ICE engine with all of the benefits that brings when you get out onto the open road.

If we had the vast majority of cars PHEV we could enforce things like zero emission urban environments without the need for the enormous infrastructure challenge of full EV.

But I fear that the only way we'll ever really get to something like that is through legal or tax push factors. Because really, right now, putting petrol in the tank and driving off is cheap, convenient and easy. So really, unless you love being an early adopter and playing with cool tech there is very little reason to purchase an EV*

*Unless you are a company car driver, but thats exactly what I mean - tax push factors are driving that not the cars themselves. It's the same reason everyone had a 330e 3 years ago and a diesel 10 years ago.

phev is handy for people that drive a lot around town to save fuel and also do a lot of long journeys as you can refill it quickly when doing a 600+ mile journey.
You also get the benefit of a heavier car to improve grip as the car has two complex systems on board.

;)

Back
Top Bottom