When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Pricing for the iX range - have BMW overpriced these by about £20k? They are significantly more than the Audi and Mercedes equivalents and M-Sport models will cost more than this.

iX40 : from £70k
- WLTP range : 250 miles
- Power : 300bhp

iX50 : from £92k
- WLTP range : 373 miles
- Power : 500bhp

Soldato
another Audi Etron and Merc EQC :D

Range is massively over-blown as an issue. Most people do less than 250 miles per week and I suspect the people buying the eTrons, EQC’s and iXs will have off-street parking and be able to charge at home anyway. And, if you have a 150kW fast charger available then these cars actually charge up really fast and you probably won’t notice the inefficiency so much.

There is a test on YouTube at the moment where they took a bunch of ‘family cars’ to GridServe and the eTron was the most inefficient but because it charged really fast, it sort of ‘won’ the test because it would have got you home fastest. Obviously it was rigged because they used 350kW fast chargers and they didn’t use the SuperChargers for the Tesla’s but those faster chargers are becoming more common so maybe in the real world, charging speed trumps efficiency.

Soldato
Interesting to see the car figures for March - 22,003 BEV's registered, vs 11,694 for March 2020, total market share for 2021 is at 7.7% up from 4.6%. Top seller was Tesla Model 3 with 6,585 registrations and that was at number 4 in the top 10 cars registered last month, only behind the 3 most popular small hatchbacks of the Corsa, Fiesta, A-Class.

With the number of new cars due out towards the end of this year, I'm wondering can market share hit 10% for pure BEV or will it end up at ~8%. PHEV is up 93.6% YoY, but still below BEV's in total numbers, at 6.3% share overall.

Soldato
There is a test on YouTube at the moment where they took a bunch of ‘family cars’ to GridServe and the eTron was the most inefficient but because it charged really fast, it sort of ‘won’ the test because it would have got you home fastest. Obviously it was rigged because they used 350kW fast chargers and they didn’t use the SuperChargers for the Tesla’s but those faster chargers are becoming more common so maybe in the real world, charging speed trumps efficiency.

I saw that video, the Tesla Model 3 LR ‘won’ by a long way (it didn’t actually need to charge).

For me the standouts were actually the Nero and Kona, which can be had for a fraction of the price used now. They only needed to charge for a few mins more than the etron.

There’s no denying the etron charges really quite fast all the way through its battery capacity which is quite impressive. It eventually overtook the model 3 when they charged up back to 95%. You wouldn’t normally do that on a model 3 on a long run because it’s sub-optimal.

The ID.4 seems to be similar, it changes slower than a Tesla but it’s able to maintain its peak speed for much longer. The ‘zap and dash’ is far slower but getting it back up to 80-90% isn’t that much shower. Both approaches have their pros and cons.

The Model S was an old 85 model, not sure that happened to the X, I think they said it was a 75, so not the latest model either and those also chunder the electrons.

Soldato
Is anyone else waiting on an ID3?

Just had the delivery pushed back now till 8th July... Car was ordered 16th Feb.

Soldato
Interesting to see the car figures for March - 22,003 BEV's registered, vs 11,694 for March 2020, total market share for 2021 is at 7.7% up from 4.6%. Top seller was Tesla Model 3 with 6,585 registrations and that was at number 4 in the top 10 cars registered last month, only behind the 3 most popular small hatchbacks of the Corsa, Fiesta, A-Class.

some bik induced disparity between private & company ... Rishi.
According to the SMMT data, sales of electric cars rocketed in 2020, with the market up 185.9 percent compared with 2019. In total, more than 108,000 new electric cars were registered, giving the technology a total market share of 6.6 percent.

But the picture looks different when you split those sales between private consumers, who registered 34,324 electric cars in 2020, and companies, which registered 73,881 new electric cars. And battery-electric cars made up 4.6 percent of all new cars sold to private buyers last year, whereas they accounted for almost nine percent of corporate registrations.
Of course, the corporate sector has always made up a large proportion of new car sales, and these figures may not come as a great shock to industry insiders. In total, so-called ‘fleet’ sales made up 53 percent of all new car registrations last year, while private customers accounted for just 44 percent of the market.
29/03

Soldato
I saw that video, the Tesla Model 3 LR ‘won’ by a long way (it didn’t actually need to charge).

For me the standouts were actually the Nero and Kona, which can be had for a fraction of the price used now. They only needed to charge for a few mins more than the etron.

There’s no denying the etron charges really quite fast all the way through its battery capacity which is quite impressive. It eventually overtook the model 3 when they charged up back to 95%. You wouldn’t normally do that on a model 3 on a long run because it’s sub-optimal.

The ID.4 seems to be similar, it changes slower than a Tesla but it’s able to maintain its peak speed for much longer. The ‘zap and dash’ is far slower but getting it back up to 80-90% isn’t that much shower. Both approaches have their pros and cons.

The Model S was an old 85 model, not sure that happened to the X, I think they said it was a 75, so not the latest model either and those also chunder the electrons.

If they'd charged at a 50kW charger the Korean cars would have wiped the floor with the German cars and likewise I'm sure if they had used the 'down for maintenance' Superchargers the Teslas would have done rather better.

My parents have just got one of the pre-facelift Model X LR and my mum managed to actually get it to do the WLTP mileage.

Man of Honour
some bik induced disparity between private & company ... Rishi.
29/03

People point to uptake figures as if it shows how good EV is whereas what it actually shows to quote a large extent is how big the tax breaks are.

How many EV company car drivers would still have picked them if the BIK was similar to an ICE car?

Case in point company car 330e drivers who rarely plug in. They'd have ordered a 330i if the tax was the same.

Associate
People point to uptake figures as if it shows how good EV is whereas what it actually shows to quote a large extent is how big the tax breaks are.

How many EV company car drivers would still have picked them if the BIK was similar to an ICE car?

Case in point company car 330e drivers who rarely plug in. They'd have ordered a 330i if the tax was the same.

That’s a fair point Fox, I would be more interested in the number of private’s sales over company car sales.

Soldato

Yes, and no. I think there are some drivers who are genuinely interested in the environmental impact of driving and there are some drivers who are interested in the cost savings from a PHEV compared to a petrol ICE car and they would pick the PHEV anyway. For everyone else I suspect you are correct. I cancelled an order for a 3.0TDi Touareg to get my first BEV and that was 100% driven by the fact that the company could get a huge tax break on the purchase cost of the vehicle and my personal tax liability became zero in year one, then about £20/month in year two and roughly £40 a month from year 3 onwards. Literally a fraction of what I had been paying. It's a complete no-brainer. And teh fact that the cars are pretty great doesn't hurt.

Soldato
Yes, and no. I think there are some drivers who are genuinely interested in the environmental impact of driving and there are some drivers who are interested in the cost savings from a PHEV compared to a petrol ICE car and they would pick the PHEV anyway. For everyone else I suspect you are correct. I cancelled an order for a 3.0TDi Touareg to get my first BEV and that was 100% driven by the fact that the company could get a huge tax break on the purchase cost of the vehicle and my personal tax liability became zero in year one, then about £20/month in year two and roughly £40 a month from year 3 onwards. Literally a fraction of what I had been paying. It's a complete no-brainer. And teh fact that the cars are pretty great doesn't hurt.
I agree with this.
I got an EV because it was cheaper than an ICE car but also because I was interested in the new tech they bring to driving. The instant torque and silent driving. Also working for National Grid and being at the forefront of driving the industry (GB) forward also played a part too.

On the environment aspect. I used to ride regularly and now do a fair amount of running. When you're out on the streets or roads you can seriously smell and sometimes taste the traffic pollution. I know EV's aren't completely pollution free but at least they move any pollution away from the roads and cities.

Soldato

Couldn’t the same be said for those that used to order order a 330i and then swapped to a 330d before then swapping again to a 318d M / 330e?

Its always been about how can someone get a premium car for the least possible cost. It’s why there are so many 318D on massive alloys and all the M body kits with small Diesel engines.

Since C02 based tax came in, it’s always been about dodging it as much as possible.

They would t buy the BEV if it didn’t do the job so ultimately it comes down to cost.

Associate
For me it would be a case of the EV being both better AND cheaper. Why on earth would you drive a base spec 318d when you can drive a really great EV for much less cost

E.g. you could be paying £3850 in company car tax for a BMW 318d or £267 for an Audi Etron

Obviously the Audi has a much higher list price than the BMW, and an employee might have to pay a top-up contribution. But even if that contribution was as much as £300 per month, it'd cost the same to drive the Etron as the 318d.

If I was shelling out £320 a month for a car I know which one I would want to be in!

This won't last forever but I hope it means there will be loads of 2/3/4 year old ex-fleet EV's for sale in the next few years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fuel cost saving, especially if it's free at work, also sweetens the deal; is that saving, greater than for bik.

[ so company EV's arewere indirectly boosting the foreign holiday travel spend - law of unintended consequences. ]

Back
Top Bottom