When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Yes. The driver is ultimately responsible for the load carried on their vehicle, whether or not they were involved in the securing of the load.
Indeed, that’s the point I was making.

They are also responsible for making sure the vehicle is road worthy even if they don’t own or maintain it. They are ultimately responsible for everything relating to that vehicle when they are in charge of it.

Soldato
three two one - back in the room

kerching https://fleetworld.co.uk/bmw-and-mini-launch-one-stop-shop-ev-charging-service/
In total, the network covers 8,500 AC and 1,500 DC charging points across the UK, plus a further 162,000 AC and 11,000 DC charging points across Europe; all of which can be located the BMW/Mini apps and websites.
Drivers can either choose a pay-as-you-go package – providing access only – or add on one of two additional monthly subscription packages, providing preferential rates for BP Pulse and Ionity.
The BP Pulse package costs £7.85 per month and cuts pricing per/kWh when charging at over 5,500 bp pulse charging points. Customers using up to 22kW AC pay £0.12 per kWh, up to 43kW AC or 50kW DC is £0.15 per kWh, and up to 150kW DC costs £0.27 per kWh.
The Ionity Plus package is priced at £11.30 per month and enables a preferential rate of £0.26 per kWh, saving drivers £0.43 per kWh compared to the pay-as-you-go rate when using up to 350kW DC charging.

so as Nasher suggested you could choose to hang around the charging station

Soldato
So the only benefit being the Ionity Plus package, and at £11.30 per month, or £135.60 per year, you'd need to be using Ioniy a lot (the subscription charge alone would buy you nearly 200kWh of electric at the full 69p price) in your i3 to make that worth while, or I suppose your Mini-E but why charge at a 350kW charger in a car that doesn't have anywhere near that capability.

Soldato
Looks nice, it’s not going to be cheap! We just have to remind ourselves it’s a concept and it will change a bit. I can see a few obvious places where it needs to change:
Headlights
Bumpers (no plate spaces)
Spoiler

and one thing I hope they change, that seat material! Looks like something out of a 90s golf…

Soldato
Looks like the return of a Z car 300/350 ?; long wheel base, so whether it will have steer on the rear wheels (like apparently new C class will)

Soldato
The new Ford F150 Lightning looks like a very complete vehicle for doing pretty much anything anyone would need from car/truck/mode of transport.
  • Range is 300 miles with 500kg of stuff in the back
  • 0-60 in 4.4 seconds with 1050 Nm of instant torque
  • Can power a house for 3 days
  • Towing capacity is up to 4.5 tons
  • Has a 400 litre front trunk with more multi power outlets
  • Has a decent looking quality interior
  • This version costs from $50k
  • Sadly not coming to the UK :(

Soldato
I agree it does look interesting and it’s a very complete vehicle. The American market will hopefully lap these up, I wonder if Ford can keep up with the demand.

However, I’ll believe the range numbers when I see it. The weight doesn’t have much impact on range, it’s all about drag and frontal area at motorway speeds and the F150 is a metaphorical brick with huge tyres.

Don’t forget those prices don’t include tax and like the ‘gas’ trucks I expect most thing will be an optional extra (a bit like shopping German over here!). It will be good to see what the actual price is people will pay for the one you want before making any value judgements.

Caporegime
I agree it does look interesting and it’s a very complete vehicle. The American market will hopefully lap these up, I wonder if Ford can keep up with the demand.

However, I’ll believe the range numbers when I see it. The weight doesn’t have much impact on range, it’s all about drag and frontal area at motorway speeds and the F150 is a metaphorical brick with huge tyres.

Range also depends on battery capacity and Ford haven't announced the kWh the F150 lightning has.

It is such a huge vehicle it could have a 120kwh battery for all we know.

It would have to be fairly substantial to put out 500+ BHP

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looks nice, it’s not going to be cheap! We just have to remind ourselves it’s a concept and it will change a bit. I can see a few obvious places where it needs to change:
Headlights
Bumpers (no plate spaces)
Spoiler

and one thing I hope they change, that seat material! Looks like something out of a 90s golf…

The 5 barely changed at all though. Yes that spoiler will have to go and somewhere will be needed for number plates but apart from that, it could be identical.

Why do the headlights need to change btw?

Soldato
The lenses looked opaque in that video, I might need to watch it again.

MKBHD said the car was showing 367 miles at about 80% so calculated a battery size 140kWh+

Ford still have available EV tax credits in the US so that will reduce the price quite a bit.

Yes, the tax credit isn’t going to last long though as it’s based on units sold and their PHEVs and compliance cars have been slowly chipping away at it. Unless they change it of course.

Soldato
Wonder if anyone can help as I have no idea about it never having tried to use it. The wife picked up her new Epace hybrid and the battery has no range on it, so she joined up with BP pulse with the app and loaded credit to use as and when and also joined Shell.

She went into town to do a bit of shopping and plugged the car in at a BP charge point, plugged it in and opened the app, selected the charge point and pressed use this charger. It then tries to connect and says wait it can take a couple of minutes. So she waits and looks like it connects and the status bar gets near the end and bombs out and fails. She tried several times but no go. She tried using these ones before but no joy but the app says they are available to use and there are three of them in a row so it’s probably not all of them are faulty. Any idea what she’s doing wrong?

Also probably a daft question but if you are charging up your car in a pay for car park, do you have to normally pay for parking whilst charging?

Soldato
I haven’t used the app much. Seem to have more success with the RFID tokens. Maybe those chargers were flakey today as normally works on second attempt. That said some people have struggled to make sure the charger plug is fully engaged.

Good to hear an EPACE PHEV, will be interest how you get on long term.

Soldato
Good to hear an EPACE PHEV, will be interest how you get on long term.

I haven’t driven it yet but sat in it and played around with the infotainment and am impressed with how fast and snappy it is, a huge improvement. The interior is an improvement as well. Quite a decent upgrade from the original one she had before.

Associate
Wonder if anyone can help as I have no idea about it never having tried to use it. The wife picked up her new Epace hybrid and the battery has no range on it, so she joined up with BP pulse with the app and loaded credit to use as and when and also joined Shell.

She went into town to do a bit of shopping and plugged the car in at a BP charge point, plugged it in and opened the app, selected the charge point and pressed use this charger. It then tries to connect and says wait it can take a couple of minutes. So she waits and looks like it connects and the status bar gets near the end and bombs out and fails. She tried several times but no go. She tried using these ones before but no joy but the app says they are available to use and there are three of them in a row so it’s probably not all of them are faulty. Any idea what she’s doing wrong?

Also probably a daft question but if you are charging up your car in a pay for car park, do you have to normally pay for parking whilst charging?
The BP app has been really flaky this week, not showing chargers etc. I wonder if they're having problems more generally. My local council give you 3 hours free if you're charging but best to check as it is down to the whims of your local council.

Back
Top Bottom