When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I've said it before, but the worst thing for me about owning an EV, is other EV owners on their high horses all the time.

I find most of the discussions on the EV Facebook owners groups are by people who are constantly trying to justify EV ownership with a weird obsession where they post about ICE cars. Be it a car fire, an ICE car in a charging bay or some race they had with an ICE car. It's really off-putting as a normal EV owner, they are as bad as vegans.
I love the fb groups, they're true entertainment. Some folk getting really bent out of shape over silly things. One guy in particular was posting losing his **** about people ICE parking in front of the charger lamp posts that he had petitioned to his council to have installed. It was apparent that he felt some kind of entitlement over all the EV charge spots on his street, despite it all being on the public highway. Love it :D

Soldato
Interesting day yesterday, had a test drive of the Etron GT RS, which was utterly brilliant but insanely quick. I'm more interested in the standard car than the RS as the price is a bit more palatable and its not exactly slow or badly spec'd.

Last night also got to see the Kia EV6 as part of the launch roadshows they are holding over the next few months. Very impressed even with a pre-prod card, build quality was good, tech was a massive step forward over the previous cars from Kia and its a nice size. Looks good in the matt grey they show'd it in.

Next year is going to be interesting as will have the i4 M50, Ev6 GT and Etron GT, all of which I should be able to get through the work scheme and all are within my budget. My wifes Mokka-E I really like and now we have the charging point thats that covered at home at least.

Soldato
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-57777588

:rolleyes:

If they wanted to prove to Joe Average like myself the real world viability then do it at 80mph with the climate set to 20'C and all the electronics running. Then compare the journey time and fuel cost with an equivalent ICE car. I'm sure most people like myself would be pleasantly surprised. But quoting an irrelevant economy figure for what sounds like a pretty awful way to do a long journey has the opposite effect!

Lol yea, that is not a real test. Who drives a long distance with no AC, radio and not even cracking a window, in the middle of summer. That's basically torture.

Soldato
Apparently they just wanted to use as little energy as possible regardless of how long it took, and minimise the charging time also. Again no idea why, there are many other BEV's that could have done it in a much faster time with less less energy used.

Yep read the first couple of paragraphs and it's pretty clear what they were attempting.

"BBC South transport correspondent Paul Clifton and two co-drivers drove the length of Britain aiming to set a new standard for driving efficiency in an electric car."

Another YT channel worth checking is Out of Spec Motoring as they are always doing cross country journeys in EVs. They did do a lot of Tesla testing and they confirmed that with a well spaced charging network ~100 miles over a lot of the US. Then a Tesla driven at a high mph average and charged between say 5-50% was about as fast as anything else. Kyle (+ others) from that channel set the Canon Ball record for EVs a while back in a Model 3 though I believe they did it again in a Porsche Taycan 4S recently.

I'd like to see them do it in a Model S Plaid next.

Soldato
Ordered a Tesla Model 3 SR+ in mid June. Due to a lack of guarantee I’d have one for August/September, I upgraded to the LR. Tiguan sold and charger fitted during the week. Just need the car now!

If I could do my PCP order again I'd have gone for a LR over 3 years instead of my SR+ over 2. I thought I would be upgrading to a Model Y LR by now but looks Like I'll buy it at the end of the lease (Sept.) and hang on until the Berlin Gigafactory starts to churn out RHD cars (hopefully). FSD is starting to look useful too at least for LHD :)

Man of Honour
There has certainly been a noticeable boom in amount EV’s in my home city, especially Tesla model 3’s and Porsche Taycan’s.

Maybe because I live in an area dominated by Nissan dealers but I've noticed a fair increase in the number of Nissan Leafs around lately and several neighbours have now got chargers installed* and bought themselves hybrids.

* Which is putting some strain on the electricity supply which was already struggling a bit here as it is fairly rural with mains power coming in from one overhead cable.

Soldato
tech was a massive step forward over the previous cars from Kia

what do you consider the big tech up step is ?
- the 800V, if we have the proliferastion of chargers to satisfy that, plus you'll pay a bit more/kwh
- I'd like to hear more about new traction control systems, and driving in the wet.(kona was criticized and they'll both share e-gimp)
maybe just need to develop new driving skills, more sensitive use of accelerator ?

e:now watch autogefeuhl e-gimp platform ioniq5 review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40UqsmZMLcU
rwd base version, is nice but takes some boot space, which you don't regain under the bonnet, I guess a transmission would be too lossy
kia will presumably take same suspension ?
autocar comments
In general, the ride is impressively soft and comfortable, and potholes are adroitly dealt with. A touch more control wouldn’t go amiss, as the car can feel too floaty over some undulatins. The choice to make it resolutely comfortable is commendable, though.
It also means you shouldn’t go looking for any sportiness. There's adequate grip and the steering has a reassuring and natural weight to it, but the response can be a touch unpredictable. The body rolls and particularly nasty ridges can make the car feel like a ship at sea when they’re taken too quickly.

[
e2: amusing terminology - discussing, frequently deprecated bose sound systems pedigree - now, also, in ioniq5 - can't find details of specific ioniq5 audio controls/hardware
Going for a full Bosectomy - SUCCESS! (custom speaker/amp/DSP install)

Last edited:
Soldato
I was thinking more about the interior quality, screens, software etc I looked at the stinger when it came out and it felt dated. This does t against the etron gt and my 840i it feels very nicely built and things are fast and responsive.

the tech of the drive train etc while interesting from my prospective will influence the drive I’m not bothered about that until the GT appears next year.

Soldato
Maybe because I live in an area dominated by Nissan dealers but I've noticed a fair increase in the number of Nissan Leafs around lately and several neighbours have now got chargers installed* and bought themselves hybrids.

* Which is putting some strain on the electricity supply which was already struggling a bit here as it is fairly rural with mains power coming in from one overhead cable.

There are white Teslas everywhere in my town. I think they might be taking over from Priuses as the new Uber car :p

Soldato
I've just been watching a lot of the "first look" videos of the EV6, and I'm almost immediately turned. I really, really like the look of the interior, and I expect that I'll go for an EV6 over the iD.3 which looks comparatively boring inside now. Well specced across the range too based on the preliminary spec sheet - I could deal with a base model but will likely get a GTline. Just gotta keep my eye on the used prices now until I buy in 2024 :p

Must say, I'm really getting quite excited to get my first EV now, even though I'm 2 and a half years away from being able to do it :D

Soldato
I've just been watching a lot of the "first look" videos of the EV6, and I'm almost immediately turned. I really, really like the look of the interior, and I expect that I'll go for an EV6 over the iD.3 which looks comparatively boring inside now. Well specced across the range too based on the preliminary spec sheet - I could deal with a base model but will likely get a GTline. Just gotta keep my eye on the used prices now until I buy in 2024 :p

Must say, I'm really getting quite excited to get my first EV now, even though I'm 2 and a half years away from being able to do it :D

We have an ID3 and find it really nice inside to be honest.

Issue you will find that in that time this will be old tech and there will be newer and better models out there!

Soldato
There are white Teslas everywhere in my town. I think they might be taking over from Priuses as the new Uber car :p
I would imagine they are a bit too expensive to be Uber cars. It's probably, people getting them on salary sacrifice schemes or folk running limited companies taking advantage of the low BIK rates. I've said it before but they (the government) need to do away with the BIK incentives and offer better incentives for everyone, e.g. 0% VAT on EV purchases.

Soldato
I would imagine they are a bit too expensive to be Uber cars. It's probably, people getting them on salary sacrifice schemes or folk running limited companies taking advantage of the low BIK rates. I've said it before but they (the government) need to do away with the BIK incentives and offer better incentives for everyone, e.g. 0% VAT on EV purchases.

Some are definitely minicabs because they have the sign and equipment. But they park them in the public charging spaces over night, which shouldn't be allowed.

Soldato
I really, really like the look of the interior, and I expect that I'll go for an EV6 over the iD.3 which looks comparatively boring inside now. :p

The ID.3 and the EV6 don't really cross shop, if you are looking at the EV6, you should be comparing it to the ID.4. The ID.3 is Golf/Focus sized hatch, the EV6 and ID.4 are much larger, like a Tiguan or Q4.

When I first saw the EV6 and Ionic 5 launch, I though the Ionic was the one to go for but the EV6 is certainly growing on me from a styling perspective and I prefer the interior out of the two. I was sceptical of it's price when it was revealed, I think I said it was too expensive for a Hyundai but I'm happy to eat my words on that one and it seems like a good step up over the VW.

Where VW gets some pretty valid criticism is the ID's interiors have been costed down somewhat compared to VW's usual efforts and the infotainment looks/feels a bit dated and the car has been out for only a year. They are by no means bad, they could just be better. The Hyundai and KIA do look better in that regard from the first impressions videos that I have seen. I expect someone like Bjorn will get hold of some soon and really put out some in depth content on them and really go through the cars.

Back
Top Bottom