When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
The ID.3 and the EV6 don't really cross shop, if you are looking at the EV6, you should be comparing it to the ID.4. The ID.3 is Golf/Focus sized hatch, the EV6 and ID.4 are much larger, like a Tiguan or Q4.

Yea, I didn't really make this clear initially - I'd initially thought I'd go iD.3 first, however having looked at the size (like you say, Golf/Focus size, and I have a focus now) I think the step to EV6/iD.4 would work for me, especially as I expect there may be a couple of tiny feet in the family by the time I buy :)

Soldato
Looking at an electric as our second car, but need around 200 miles of ‘real’ range for the journeys we make (I.e. stuck in traffic and with air con at near full blast) to the Bay Area. The EV6 looked interesting until I saw that Kia are still sticking to their range of around 210 miles quoted.

I realize they are about keeping costs down, but it’s frustrating that they can’t offer a longer range version as then we would be interested. Teslas are about the only thing that would work for us at the moment, why aren’t other manufacturers getting to 300 miles quoted range? (I don’t think it’s an honesty thing, my brother in laws model 3 LR easily does 250+ miles on a charge in real CA conditions).

Soldato
top trumps - still waiting to see a Polestar 2 in cambs, however, their long range shouldbe in the game against model3 LR, albeit heat pump not going to help much in CA;
daily, model 3 is the most prolific and i3's.

Soldato
I've just been watching a lot of the "first look" videos of the EV6, and I'm almost immediately turned. I really, really like the look of the interior, and I expect that I'll go for an EV6 over the iD.3 which looks comparatively boring inside now. Well specced across the range too based on the preliminary spec sheet - I could deal with a base model but will likely get a GTline. Just gotta keep my eye on the used prices now until I buy in 2024 :p

Must say, I'm really getting quite excited to get my first EV now, even though I'm 2 and a half years away from being able to do it :D

I sat in a pre-production EV6 on Saturday night and the interior is nice place to be. It's not comparable to an Audi, Merc or BMW but I would say it's perhaps 10-20% better quality than an ID.4 although that's entirely subjective. The Enyaq is the worst of the ones I've driven. Whomever thought it would be acceptable to use hard, scratchy plastic for the grab handles on the doors should be shot in the knees.

The boot in the EV6 is definitely not as big as the ID.4 as the specs confirm, but it does have some nice features like independently reclining rear seats. It's got me interested enough in the platform to put my name down to test drive the IONIQ 5 next month because it has a bigger boot and better styling in my opinion.

Last edited:
Associate
Looking at an electric as our second car, but need around 200 miles of ‘real’ range for the journeys we make (I.e. stuck in traffic and with air con at near full blast) to the Bay Area. The EV6 looked interesting until I saw that Kia are still sticking to their range of around 210 miles quoted.

I realize they are about keeping costs down, but it’s frustrating that they can’t offer a longer range version as then we would be interested. Teslas are about the only thing that would work for us at the moment, why aren’t other manufacturers getting to 300 miles quoted range? (I don’t think it’s an honesty thing, my brother in laws model 3 LR easily does 250+ miles on a charge in real CA conditions).

There's plenty mate - the eNiro and Kona seem to be feted for great real-world range (250 miles), for instance. A good one-stop-shop for looking this stuff up is EV Database - lots of 'real world' ranges in there to make an informed choice.

Soldato
I sat in a pre-production EV6 on Saturday night and the interior is nice place to be. It's not comparable to an Audi, Merc or BMW but I would say it's perhaps 10-20% better quality than an ID.4 although that's entirely subjective. The Enyaq is the worst of the ones I've driven. Whomever thought it would be acceptable to use hard, scratchy plastic for the grab handles on the doors should be shot in the knees.

The boot in the EV6 is definitely not as big as the ID.4 as the specs confirm, but it does have some nice features like independently reclining rear seats. It's got me interested enough in the platform to put my name down to test drive the IONIQ 5 next month because it has a bigger boot and better styling in my opinion.

Ah nice, would be great to hear your thoughts on the IONIQ too.

Caporegime
All the other EVs. Just seems odd to call out it as ahead of competition when you’ve not been in them. What exactly is ahead? The screen ? It’s certainly nothing else

Associate
All the other EVs. Just seems odd to call out it as ahead of competition when you’ve not been in them. What exactly is ahead? The screen ? It’s certainly nothing else

Ah, I see. My bad. I own a Renault Zoe as well, and have test driven an EQC and iPace. The interiors of the latter two were lovely. I wouldn't say better - I like the minimalist look of the Tesla, but very stylish. 'Build quality' when it comes to vehicle interiors appears to be some combination of how much squidgy plastic there is and how wobbly stuff is when you push it. I can confirm that Model 3 is solidly built and has some squidgy plastics.

Soldato
I finally got the charger installed and so glad to be off public charging. Only had the car 1.5weeks but the experience of relying on these have not been great.

Thanks to whoever it was who recommended Hypervolt. Very very happy with the charger...I posted on their Facebook page about the install and mentioned I'm having issues with the WiFi connection. Literally 10 Min later I get s call from the CEO of Hypervolt Flavian telling me it's all connected their end and to phone him direct if I have any further issues!

4xLnSQe.jpg
gROWipw.jpg
6P7H7Mb.jpg

Soldato
Looks like a nice charger! It would never pass my SWMBO test due to the plug holder and visible cable which is how I ended up with an Andersen A2 :eek::cry:

Andersen call that wife-acceptance-factor. :D. It's still the only product on the market that I've seen that has that. That Hypervolt is one of the better plastic ones though.

Soldato
Nice install. My HyperVolt was installed last week (car not due for over a month). I too had Wi-Fi issues which I eventually solved by moving my Unifi AP in my soffit (there for my Nest camera) nearer the corner of the roof. It seems that insulation in new build houses is great at keeping wifi signals as well as heat in!

Soldato
Thanks all, really happy with it and the support the company have also shown is pretty epic.

The cable does wrap around and I think looks really tidy when not in use.

qu9txKW.jpg

Nice nice install. Did you arrange it direct or have a local electrician install it for you?

I posted in the owners forum and a guy from Huddersfield came and fit it. Not sure where you are based but highly recommend Sam. His company is called SW Electrical soon to rebrand to Huddersfield EV I believe.

Will try and get some dusk shots to show the LEDs more.

Back
Top Bottom