When are you going fully electric?

About 4 years ago I got what was a very painful left knee. Did a lot of physio and GP appointments on but could never figure out what was causing it. My GP finally lost interest and told me it was "normal wear and tear". At the time I had been driving a 4 Series Gran Coupe for about two years.

I changed to a BMW X1 to ironically allow my older in-laws to get in and out easier and found my knee got better on its own. Been fine with it ever since because I have stuck with SUVs and their more upright seating position.

I now call it "coupe knee". I assume it was the low down seating postion with most of my weight on the knee joint rather than my thigh. I couldn't raise the seats too high or my head was hitting the roof and couldn't go back further or I had problems reaching the pedals. I genuinely did not feel discomfort during driving even over longer distances, so never assumed it was my seating position.

Long story short, my knee likes SUVs :)

Which model exactly? My other half had a 3 (which I believe shares the platform with the 4) and you could literally tell the pedals were not straight on to the seat, when I drove it a long distance it gave me leg ache (thigh /knee). IIRC was a 2015 plate, whatever code the anoraks will assign to it

Soldato
A Polestar 2 AWD comes close. Unless you are one of those people who think an EV should do this at a constant 70mph+ on some mythical 300 mile long UK motorway?

About 270 miles in Summer and 225 in Winter.
I’ve just returned from a 3 day trip to Devon in my P2 - 266 miles, 8 hours 35 mins driving, did a 20% top-up charge in Bath on a 7kWh charger on the way out whilst getting lunch and got home with 8% battery left. Just driving normally with the majority of the trip on the M5 motorway at 70-75mph. [32.6kWh/100 miles average consumption]

Battery life was never a concern or impacting on our plans.

Soldato
Which model exactly? My other half had a 3 (which I believe shares the platform with the 4) and you could literally tell the pedals were not straight on to the seat, when I drove it a long distance it gave me leg ache (thigh /knee). IIRC was a 2015 plate, whatever code the anoraks will assign to it

4 Series Gran Coupe Sport. I used to get sick of explaining I did not pick M Sport because I hate M Sport steering wheels. :)

Now that you mention it the pedals were not perfectly lined up with the drivers seat. Slightly off to the right if I recall but again it never "felt" uncomfortable while driving, only when walking etc. Must have been the very slightly contorted seating position aggravating my knee.

Where were you 4 years ago, thanks for nothing :D

Soldato
I’ve just returned from a 3 day trip to Devon in my P2 - 266 miles, 8 hours 35 mins driving, did a 20% top-up charge in Bath on a 7kWh charger on the way out whilst getting lunch and got home with 8% battery left. Just driving normally with the majority of the trip on the M5 motorway at 70-75mph. [32.6kWh/100 miles average consumption]

Battery life was never a concern or impacting on our plans.

Tht is a very good range.

Most (not all) EVs owners tend to get closer to WLTP than reviewers in my experience. Practically every review tells me my E-Tron 50 gets 150 miles of real range. All those times I got 180 on a long trip on sceneic routes must be my imagination.

Soldato
Travelling at 70 on the motorway, versus A road 55/60, in an ice, with (peak since 2013) petrol prices, that hurts, when, you just want to get out of dodge for a weekend trip;
hopes for EV solution, are only really realised with a saloon - model 3, kona .... and soon i4(hot cakes)

Practically these work too - estates have lots of light for children in the back (the watertight plug distributor for granny charging at holiday coittage !)
Can MG5 EV handle a country family holiday?

Soldato
Travelling at 70 on the motorway, versus A road 55/60, in an ice, with (peak since 2013) petrol prices, that hurts, when, you just want to get out of dodge for a weekend trip;
hopes for EV solution, are only really realised with a saloon - model 3, kona .... and soon i4(hot cakes)

Practically these work too - estates have lots of light for children in the back (the watertight plug distributor for granny charging at holiday coittage !)
Can MG5 EV handle a country family holiday?

I think this post is a touch less riddly so i can get the context.... See the only time I need range is long trips with everyone in my car. Not sure why a cramped saloon in the back is EV trips only 'realised' with a saloon. I actually managed a week in mine!

In the last 8 months I have not had to stop once to fill up before my commute, on my way, or go to a fuel station for a refill the night before.... how's that for inconvenience.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think this post is a touch less riddly so i can get the context.... See the only time I need range is long trips with everyone in my car. Not sure why a cramped saloon in the back is EV trips only 'realised' with a saloon. I actually managed a week in mine!

In the last 8 months I have not had to stop once to fill up before my commute, on my way, or go to a fuel station for a refill the night before.... how's that for inconvenience.
Glad you could make sense of that post :p

Soldato
I would still stick to about 65 or 70 like I always have ICE or EV. Besides at 80 mph most EVs would kill their range. :)

When doing a long distance (e.g. well outside the cars range) in a car that can charge quickly, it’s actually faster to drive faster and charge more than it is to try and eek out the battery power at 55/60mph.

That’s obviously contingent on there being high power chargers on route.

4 Series Gran Coupe Sport. I used to get sick of explaining I did not pick M Sport because I hate M Sport steering wheels. :)

Now that you mention it the pedals were not perfectly lined up with the drivers seat. Slightly off to the right if I recall but again it never "felt" uncomfortable while driving, only when walking etc. Must have been the very slightly contorted seating position aggravating my knee.

Where were you 4 years ago, thanks for nothing :D

I would say this 100%, sorry you never asked for advice those years ago ;)

It was bizarre and I could just never understand why it was so obvious to me and yet she was oblivious.
I have never driven another car that the pedals do not line up directly in front and yes your correct the offset was slightly to the right so you were in effect slightly twisting your legs to the right

Sorry to detract from the Ev thread all :)

Associate
About 4 years ago I got what was a very painful left knee. Did a lot of physio and GP appointments on but could never figure out what was causing it. My GP finally lost interest and told me it was "normal wear and tear". At the time I had been driving a 4 Series Gran Coupe for about two years.

My mate gave the same story a couple of years ago (knee pain, driving a 4 series a lot for his sales job) and I thought he was talking crap. Maybe I was wrong!

Back
Top Bottom