When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
The space inside for passengers is on par with my Superb and the flat floor makes having 3 in the back more comfortable when you need it.

As the wanted had said you could always add the towbar and had the Thule storage box, which in my opinion is much more practical than a roofbox.
I'm not anti-ID3 and think it's great value.

It's just not in the segment I was thinking about :)

Soldato
Was just looking at the first 10 locations of those new Osprey charging hubs, it looks like there will be some pretty good competition just of the motorways for Gridservr and Instavolt, not sure how long Ionity will last in the UK one Tesla open up their network.

Soldato
I'm not anti-ID3 and think it's great value.

It's just not in the segment I was thinking about :)

Yeah, the ID.3 is 'crossover' sized but definitely not in the 'SUV' category.

In other news, I just had my first positive and negative Quick charge experience!

We just charged on the way back from a day out, we could have made it home, but since the car is new and the Mrs is a bit nervous I thought as an exercise it'd be good to just open Zap Maps and find something on the way back to put in ~15kWh. We found a Geniepoint in a BP Garage that we would pass and so tried that.. However, on signing up etc, the first minor disappointment was realising to get a small amount off per kWh they want you to top up £10 first, then obviously use that up.. OK, I'm sure that'll make us burn the excess credit up later as there are Geniepoints on the way to seeing the Family, however I wasn't expecting it to charge us for the session first, then charge us after with the additional £10 top-up..
I called customer services later and to be fair they've refunded the £10 and said they are changing their business model from 1st October to a full PAYG system anyway..

I hope this is a sign of things to come, chargers should really all operate on a PAYG with reasonable rates and incentivise with subscription models with very good rates if people are heavy users.. What we don't want are stupid 'top-ups' which are a bit shady anyway, especially as we experienced!

I think market forces are pulling people towards the more convenient chargers, people like to rock up, pay via contactless and just charge..

Last edited:
Soldato
I had a ride in a BMW iX3 today. I know it’s not a ground up EV design but it was nice enough. Still like the iDrive system.

51499954762_5e8d055311_b.jpg

Soldato
Soldato
I saw an Ioniq5 for the first time out and about on a dual carriageway, it looks really different in the metal. I quite liked the design from the pictures but it looked a lot better in real life, if i had all the monies it would be tempting if the model 3 didn't exist.

Soldato
I saw the Ioniq5 at Fully Charged Live, I like the outside but not keen on the interior. Saw my first one out in the street yesterday and it's a lot large than it appeared to be when sat on it's own. In amongst the other cars it looks to be quite big.

I'm more than likely cancelling my Model3 order and going for the EV6. It caught my eye at FCL and it looks great with decent spec. Should hopefully be getting a test drive once the demo cars arrive at dealers next month.

Soldato
I was convinced the Ioniq 5 looked great in pictures and then I saw one and hated it. I had booked a test drive but when I got to the the dealers I just looked at the outside, sat insde and walked away because nothing about the styling inspired me at all. I get that it is all subjective of course but it was bigger than most of its rivals and also trying too hard to be retro modern stylish. I personally do not see that 80s retro with modern styling aging well. Also now seeing trusted EV testers giving horrible range at motorway speeds and hit or miss charging speeds.

Caporegime
As an EV owner I can now be all smug at the mugs queuing (stupidly) for petrol.

There's not even a shortage of fuel, just a shortage of drivers getting the fuel out to the stations.

Back
Top Bottom