When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Haha, oh my summer child.

We are a lot closer to the edge than people like to believe.
That's strange, the national grid themselves say quite the opposite.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/journey-to-net-zero/5-myths-about-electric-vehicles-busted

the most demand for electricity we’ve had in recent years in the UK was for 62GW in 2002. Since then, due to improved energy efficiency such as the installation of solar panels, the nation’s peak demand has fallen by roughly 16 per cent. Even if the impossible happened and we all switched to EVs overnight, we think demand would only increase by around 10 per cent. So we’d still be using less power as a nation than we did in 2002 and this is well within the range of manageable load fluctuation.

Soldato
Hahaha, we mostly have EVs what are you smoking.

The standard fleet vehicles for grid at the moment is:
* Transit long wheelbase with the diesel engine
* Transit short wheel base with the diesel engine
* Transit connect for security and HV stations staff
* Ford ranger or Toyota Hilux for lines man
* Currently there is one nissan nv200 on our patch and it spends it's entire life charging as the range fully load is crap

Oh and the gas side cannot have electric vehicles due to the whole not ex rated thing. So good old diesels with valves on the exhaust

Ng staff can only live on sites that have amenities, here's a hint in South Wales only 3 sites have a toilet...

Oh and the nationalgrid helicopter is based in mid England and it's a contractor not owned by grid...

Yea because they need to go off-road, tow/carry load and reach places far away from charging points. Plus you can't recharge it if the local grid is dead lol. Can't just put more electricity in a jerry can.

Soldato
I don’t qualify for company vehicles as I don’t travel the required 10k business miles. Mostly working from home but go into Warwick a couple of times a week now.
The car park is still quiet though and I’ve noticed EV’s are taking over ICE cars. There a couple of Jag iPace’s and a Toyota Mirai (hydrogen) stationed on site.

I took this photo of one side of the car park on Tuesday this week. My Polestar at the end, next to M3 Performance, Merc EQC, BMW iX3 and another M3 perf. Helps we have around 60 on-site chargers at 15p kWh.

51511984439_502e0186a0_b.jpg
Lucky,

There's no news on when we're getting anything electric bar electric Nissan's.

There's a big issue with the chargers as well, a couple of our sites wanted to put a charger outside the security gates but the whole g35 was just so prohibitive.

Plus they won't let the vans charge on site, so you could imagine charge over night drive the 100miles to work not be able to charge cos of the lack of chargers, drive home, put it on charge then get called out 2 hours later with barely any charge...

Plus the whole not being able to take non diesel vehicles on site.so a long walk with heavy equipment...

But I would love a electric pickup so I could avoid having to fill up a 80 LTr tank every other day..

Soldato
Yea because they need to go off-road, tow/carry load and reach places far away from charging points. Plus you can't recharge it if the local grid is dead lol. Can't just put more electricity in a jerry can.

It’s energy production the point not distribution hardware failing so I’m not sure what point you are trying to make Nasher?

I’m yet to see a manual crank handle at a petrol station either so it’s the same deal for fuel.

Just grow up please, utter drivel is tedious, pointless and frankly a bit embarrassing for all regardless which transport energy camp you are in.

off road? What like to drive to a pylon and climb up it? :cry::cry::cry: What planet are you on.

Soldato
It’s energy production the point not distribution hardware failing so I’m not sure what point you are trying to make Nasher?

I’m yet to see a manual crank handle at a petrol station either so it’s the same deal for fuel.

Just grow up please, utter drivel is tedious, pointless and frankly a bit embarrassing for all regardless which transport energy camp you are in.

off road? What like to drive to a pylon and climb up it? :cry::cry::cry: What planet are you on.

Hi, I work for transmission and I spend a fair amount of time off road...
And 4x4 is very useful in the snow just to get to half the sites.

Soldato
What's your role exactly? It might add some credibility to whatever point you're making as opposed to fear mongering based on dits about freak weather conditions.

Not gonna out myself as grid has a very harsh social media policy.

Let's just say I look after a lot of the gas off takes for power and domestic customers, including planning, maintaining and outage organisation.

The plan is to reduce 12 monthly regulator maintenance to 6 monthly and switching feeding streams more regularly to deal with longer hours of use. They the customer are planning with the demand timetable changing from day to night to run more often.

Plus with the idea that excessive wind energy being converted to create hydrogen, which in turn will be burnt in power stations will mean more use.

Soldato
Not gonna out myself as grid has a very harsh social media policy.

Let's just say I look after a lot of the gas off takes for power and domestic customers, including planning, maintaining and outage organisation.

The plan is to reduce 12 monthly regulator maintenance to 6 monthly and switching feeding streams more regularly to deal with longer hours of use. They the customer are planning with the demand timetable changing from day to night to run more often.

Plus with the idea that excessive wind energy being converted to create hydrogen, which in turn will be burnt in power stations will mean more use.
Sounds all positive to me then :cry:

Soldato
Sounds all positive to me then :cry:
Not for me....

More work equals more chance of buggering it up.

Didcot still brings me out in a cold sweat.

The hydrogen upgrade is going to be interesting, 5gws in the system by 2030, enough hydrogen to power a village by 2033 and a town by 2035.

Hydrogen is gonna be a interesting set of problems.

Soldato
Which is of course a fallacy, since we use less electricity now than we did say 20 years ago due to increased efficiency
a good primer on possibility of electricity shortages V
good podcast this pm on BBC What lies behind the UK's energy problems, and how can we can stop it happening
discussing how versus eu countries we have 2% annual usage gas store versus their 20-30%, + reliant on EU for russian gas/pricing, + missed opportunity on severn estuary generation ....
our capacity to generate has declined, and storage capacity - especially if the wind doesn't blow, and, if we have a cold christmas that'll mean high pressure low wind.
---

Irish are thinking of revising their ev/ice tax schedule
https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...les-up-4-100-under-budget-proposals-1.4679851

[
one for Jonny TESLA 3 PERFORMANCE VS MERCEDES AMG A45 S the relative handling of the two cars is interesting.
]

Soldato
Certainly glad I own an EV today based on how busy every petrol station in a 10 mile radius is.

I hadn't really considered the logistics of hauling fuel around before. I wonder if the emissions for that are factored into ICE vs EV environmental comparisons?

Associate
Certainly glad I own an EV today based on how busy every petrol station in a 10 mile radius is.

I hadn't really considered the logistics of hauling fuel around before. I wonder if the emissions for that are factored into ICE vs EV environmental comparisons?
Don’t think so. But they should be.

Soldato
Well my CLS which I was toying with swapping is currently in for £1k+ repair so definately now seriously looking to jump to all electric

TM3 and Polestar 2 are two Im considering, Any more suggestions ?

Range and seating 4/5 people comfortably are the main drivers over speed

Soldato
Handling? That’s just two morons driving stupid on the road.
the composure of the model3 versus the amg (backend) was - genuinely, surprising, with its weight ,
but, yes, possibly two unskilled morons, and we are seeing the relatived capability of the dcc systems.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom