When are you going fully electric?

Doesnt matter how integrated they make it, it can still be hacked\disabled. Or you could simply wrap the gps receiver in tin foil.

Not if it required 2 way communication, which if you were building something like that you would pretty much say was a necessity.
Failure to communicate, car wont work. Brings other obvious issues (tunnels, under grounds etc)

Nothing is unhackable with enough effort and time.

What probably needs to happen is the government need to stop looking at some of the cash cow areas they tax and a more joined up tax system will need to be implemented.
Eg if everyone was only using electric (no fossils at all) then each property could be allowed x units at £basic, then any more each month at a premium £0.10 So there is enough at the lower cost to cover heating, water etc, but higher usage (be that EV, being wastefull, crypto mining etc was charged at a higher rate). This extra passed to the government as "high consumer fuel tax"

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

I love the sound of a petrol engine too much. So until its illegal to drive a petrol car, I will be driving a petrol car

Soldato
If anyone is looking for a good deal on a BEV, there are some cracking deals on the new 38kWh Hyundai Ionic. Prices between £4,900 - £6,000 for a 24 month PCH deal, depending on milage and profile you choose.

Great mid-sized car, and super efficient with a very high mpkWh rating, lots of nice colours to choose from for free, and great pre-fitted options. :)

Soldato
Only problem with the newer Ioniq is that it doesn't rapid charge, it's fine if you charge at home every night but it'd be pretty useless if you ever needed to do a long trip and use public chargers :(

Bit over dramatic really, even if you did do a long trip of say 400 miles, starting at full and stopping twice for a total of 60-90 minutes is hardly that bad if you take the average speed of 60mph, that is a 6h 40min drive, so factoring in the extra rest time is hardly a deal breaker.

Soldato
From what i've seen it'll average at just over 30kw on a charge which is pretty terrible in 2019, the previous ioniq would do 70 for most of the charge curve.

It just annoys me when electric cars are starting to become more mainstream and 20 minute chargers are becoming the norm that you get a car with a fairly small battery that takes an hour to charge.

Soldato
From what i've seen it'll average at just over 30kw on a charge which is pretty terrible in 2019, the previous ioniq would do 70 for most of the charge curve.

It just annoys me when electric cars are starting to become more mainstream and 20 minute chargers are becoming the norm that you get a car with a fairly small battery that takes an hour to charge.

I agree it is not as good as it should be, 10-60% using a rapid 50kW charger would seem to offer the best option, with the current charging curve, it takes around 35 mins. I would like to think that Hyundai can investigate the throttling that occurs and maybe allow 45kW up to 75% SoC.

Soldato
When have you seen a battery last over 10 years though?
All the time in UPS's both at home and work that run 24hours a day, 7 days a week. Same from home battery packs like you have with solar panels they last well over 10 years and that's working 24/7 year in year out without a break. A Electric car would only do a tiny fraction of that work.

Soldato
I'm not sure the Ioniq's charging rate would cause me any big problems.

Looking at it from a practical POV, I've driven ~80 mile range EVs for four years now. In that time, the furthest single journey has been 185 miles. That needed three stops. The Ioniq may have been able to do that journey without a charge (the Leaf averaged 4.5 mi/kWh, so the Ioniq would likely be around 5 mi/kWh). At worst, it would need one short stop.

There's one journey I haven't attempted in the EVs I've owned; the 325 miles journey to see my Grandparents. In the Leaf or Zoe, this would mean around 5 stops, so I've been using the train instead. In the Ioniq, it would be 2 stops, which is fine. Anything much beyond that distance, 30kW charging would start to get annoying.

The only time I can picture 30kW really being a problem for me is when I got home with low charge and need to go out again quickly; there's a good rapid charger round the corner from my house. But I only have to do this because the Leaf's winter range is dire. If I charge the Ioniq every night, it shouldn't happen.

I'm really tempted. I reckon I've got £2k equity in the Leaf, less maybe £500 in repair costs (some swine scraped my car and scarpered). So enough to cover the initial payment. Then it's an extra £39/month + £150 admin + GAP insurance. Not bad for how much better the spec is.

Soldato
I'm really tempted. I reckon I've got £2k equity in the Leaf, less maybe £500 in repair costs (some swine scraped my car and scarpered). So enough to cover the initial payment. Then it's an extra £39/month + £150 admin + GAP insurance. Not bad for how much better the spec is.

The Ioniq is a steal with the current price, I'd look at the Nationwide deal on the 3+23 profile, which is £189.54pm for 5,000 miles per year for a total of £4,928.04 + the processing fee, making a monthly amortised price of £213.59, and an excess mileage cost of 8.88p inc. VAT. and that includes the free paint options, so any metallic or pearl finish.

Soldato
All the time in UPS's both at home and work that run 24hours a day, 7 days a week. Same from home battery packs like you have with solar panels they last well over 10 years and that's working 24/7 year in year out without a break. A Electric car would only do a tiny fraction of that work.

Those are different kinds of batteries and they are actually only guaranteed for 5 years. I see UPS ones die all the time.

Soldato
The Ioniq is a steal with the current price, I'd look at the Nationwide deal on the 3+23 profile, which is £189.54pm for 5,000 miles per year for a total of £4,928.04 + the processing fee, making a monthly amortised price of £213.59, and an excess mileage cost of 8.88p inc. VAT. and that includes the free paint options, so any metallic or pearl finish.

The National website says 19.2p per mile, which is what put me off. If it's 8.88p per mile, that would give me a total of under £244/month (<9k miles/year). Leasing Options is ~£234/month before adding the excess miles.

I've just come off the phone with Nissan. Looks like I'll have around £4,800 to pay in Jan/Feb. So up to £3k equity in the car, less repair costs, assuming prices hold. Probably the right time to get shot; at 5.5 years old, it's only a matter of time before it loses a battery bar. Will give National a ring shortly.

Last edited:
Soldato
The National website says 19.2p per mile, which is what put me off. If it's 8.88p per mile, that would give me a total of under £244/month (<9k miles/year). Leasing Options is ~£234/month before adding the excess miles.

Yes, the website is wrong by a country mile. I have the contract signed and returned on one, just awaiting the approximate delivery date now.

Adding 5,000 miles as an overage is only £444, or 10,000 is £888 so cheaper than paying up front.

Soldato
Those are different kinds of batteries and they are actually only guaranteed for 5 years. I see UPS ones die all the time.
Sure the cheap UPS ones but not the better ones unless you get unlucky. Also the home solar battery packs are guaranteed for 10 years and longer. They run for 10+years and are pretty much the same Lithium-ion style battery's as electric cars. They run every day charging up and discharging far more often then electric cars and yet run without problems. That proves what you are saying is wrong. If they last 10+years a car doing a small fraction of work from a battery point of view is not going to have problems.

Soldato
Yes, the website is wrong by a country mile. I have the contract signed and returned on one, just awaiting the approximate delivery date now.

Adding 5,000 miles as an overage is only £444, or 10,000 is £888 so cheaper than paying up front.

Bargain. Tried calling and got no answer, so I've applied via the website.

Notice Carwow Leasing has the car on a 1+23 8,000mpa at £237.99 + £99.50 admin. No mention of excess mileage charges. More expensive than the best deals, but not bad at all for 1+23.

Soldato
Sure the cheap UPS ones but not the better ones unless you get unlucky. Also the home solar battery packs are guaranteed for 10 years and longer. They run for 10+years and are pretty much the same Lithium-ion style battery's as electric cars. They run every day charging up and discharging far more often then electric cars and yet run without problems. That proves what you are saying is wrong. If they last 10+years a car doing a small fraction of work from a battery point of view is not going to have problems.

A car is doing a lot more work and is a harsher environment. Solar panels themselves have a service life as well, up to 20 years in ideal conditions (i.e not in the UK). Less than top quality ones degrade quite quickly here.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bargain. Tried calling and got no answer, so I've applied via the website.

Notice Carwow Leasing has the car on a 1+23 8,000mpa at £237.99 + £99.50 admin. No mention of excess mileage charges. More expensive than the best deals, but not bad at all for 1+23.

Yeah, I've had a quote from Hyundai fleet directly as well, and it was £223.96 on a 3+23 with 8,000mpa, ironically Nationwide are supplied by these but can't match the price due to back end volume discounts. Still £5,822.96 is only £163.12 more over the whole term, using the same number of miles in total, and again that is with the free paint options included which other places want ~£20 per month for.

Luckily due to the location we'll get to pick up the car from the supplier, rather than having to have it delivered which is always a bonus in my eyes.

Soldato
A car is doing a lot more work and is a harsher environment. Solar panels themselves have a service life as well, up to 20 years in ideal conditions (i.e not in the UK). Less than top quality ones degrade quite quickly here.
I am not talking about solar panels. I am on about the large battery packs you power your entire home with and tend to charge up with solar panels or at night when electricity is cheap then you run the home from the battery pack during the day instead of using more expensive day mains electric. A lot of people do this as it makes electricity free more so when combined with solar panels in fact doing that means the electric companies pay you not the other way around. Which in turn means you can practically charge up your car for free along with proving what you said about battery's not lasting and being a problem is wrong. You said what battery lasts 10 years well those packs last over 10 years and are built the same as electric cars battery's and charge up and discharge far more cycles then cars putting them under more stress then electric cars battery's.

Back
Top Bottom