When are you going fully electric?

They only check if the ticket is expired or not there. They dont investigate every car. If the model also has an EV version it would be easy to fool people.

Because at the moment it doesn't matter, if it did then logically they could/would check
All the movments in bus lanes etc could all be checked, its hardly hard or time consuming as the majority can be done with no human input

I mean how long would it take to check each one, just a camera phone and poof, seconds later its done.

A lot of places would probably be able to be done without even manual intervention, like the magic eye type systems

Soldato
at least in Cambridge it's the cameras (which could be anpr) that catch the bus lane drivers, so the green plate would be just virtue signal for other motorists, like the tax, or insurance disk.

how do you know they don't ? - I just looked where I travel. - I'd check
that's 9 a day, on road i use
edit: 126 a day for ths small city !

When I can go from Lands end to John o’groats on one charge.

How frequently do you do this trip?
The vast majority of non electric cars cant do it either, i cant think of a single petrol car that can, and more and more modern diesels are seeing the fuel tanks shrink, so there wont be that many of them either
There was a sweet spot when MPG went up, but they didn't reduce the tank size so range went up and up

Soldato
How frequently do you do this trip?
The vast majority of non electric cars cant do it either, i cant think of a single petrol car that can, and more and more modern diesels are seeing the fuel tanks shrink, so there wont be that many of them either
There was a sweet spot when MPG went up, but they didn't reduce the tank size so range went up and up

But it only takes a few minutes to refill a petrol\diesel car.

They wont allow bus lane use. It would end up holding buses up which defeats the point of them.

Its literally one of the proposals
I mean its not like you have taxis authorised on them etc
Eventually sure they would need to change the rules

The biggest gain to buses is that each set of lights they in effect jump the queue, not that actual traffic in the bus lane per se

But it only takes a few minutes to refill a petrol\diesel car.

Who cares. The average commute is 13 miles.
How many people do regular journeys that a model 3 couldn't do in one charge or with a short refil.

Once the majority are using EVs you will see a reduction in petrol stations, its inevitable.
As the graph above shows, the last 16% of laggards will be the ones who struggle, up until the fast mass adoption phase (late majority) it wont be a ball ache to drive a IEC car, around that point it will start to become one. Basic supply and demand will kick in

Don
High performance electric cars are brilliantly fun to drive. Enough petrolheads on YouTube etc. saying as much and I can absolutely attest to that. The instant torque is wonderful. If you get turned on by the sound of an engine or like cycling through gears then fair enough, but to claim electric cars aren't fun to drive is ludicrous (pun intended).

This for me is more eloquently put, than I could do it.

I won't do electric cars anytime soon, if ever, purely because they don't suit the way I drive and what I find in terms of enjoyments.

I like gears. I like noise. Part of me choosing a car, is the experience you get within the cabin, which is heightened by the involvement and the symphony of it all. An electrical whirl and road noise doesn't appeal to me.

I do love the technology though. But that's because I'm a geek. :p

Soldato
And until there is a standardised battery pack specification forced upon manufacturers, EV owners will continue to have to plan for lengthy recharging stops on longer journeys.

That is simply not true though is it? More and more vehicles are now being made that support 150kW+ charging rates, and some up to 350kW already.

You can stop for a toilet break and a take away coffee and if you plug in while you do that on a 150kW charger you'd have added 25kWh of energy back in to the pack in 10 minutes at the 150kW rate, or much more on the faster 250kWh+ chargers.

Soldato
Buy a Tesla, no planning required. You could get up one morning, stick somewhere in Italy in the nav and set off. Every charging stop is calculated for you, it’s the legacy OEMs that are slacking in supporting their customers to use the things in reality.

That is simply not true though is it? More and more vehicles are now being made that support 150kW+ charging rates, and some up to 350kW already.

You can stop for a toilet break and a take away coffee and if you plug in while you do that on a 150kW charger you'd have added 25kWh of energy back in to the pack in 10 minutes at the 150kW rate, or much more on the faster 250kWh+ chargers.

Plus they are going to be more widespread than petrol stations, particularly when you consider how many petrol stations are not 24 hours.

Sure a few people will need to change their habits, driving 600 miles in a day with basically no stops. Yep sorry your going to see some change
The vast majority once we get to the mass adoption stage will have developed infrastructure, and on the odd occasion when they are doing a single journey with a range in excess of the car, well they are the sorts who tend to stop for a little chef etc since they are not used to driving huge distance in one go. (Tends to be the family holiday etc)
They said this morning 1.3% of new cars are electric. Thats practically 1 in 75, I suspect that will jump next year with the BIK changes, plenty of people with company cars are going to be desperate to make that switch

The ID3 (new golf in E form in effect) on the MEB (vW audi group electric platform) they are saying upto 340 miles when launched in 2020. thats with 77kwh pack.
Pricewise they are expecting somewhere close to a diesel golf. Tesla model 3 already made them more acceptable, VW will bring a more mainstream brand to the market.

Associate
When you look at the advances in technology in consumer electronics and computers, it probably wouldn't unthinkable that an EV could have a 1000 mile range in the next 10 years. At that point folks who worry about range anxiety would have no arguments against it.

Back
Top Bottom