When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Have you test driven any (any EVs that is)?

No not yet, out of my budget at the moment and no real need to change right now. Just interested to see if manufacturers were looking to fill that fun factor space with EV's yet.

Friend of mine has a Tesla (Model 3 I think, hatchback), very quick acceleration but he didn't find it much fun to drive just a nice family car.

While totally pointless I quite like the idea of the EV conversions that are currently available for the MX5 that keep the clutch and gearbox in place. I'll have to do my own engine sounds though :D

Do they do anything or just left in for looks? Will need a speaker inside with some selectable exhaust notes :p

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Taycan, RS e-tron GT and Honda E are all good fun to drive. The Honda is particularly playful at lower speeds thanks to relatively small tyres, lots of torque and it being RWD only.

Soldato
Do they do anything or just left in for looks?

Normally they are fully functional as the typical way they do a conversion is to replace the engine with a motor and use the existing mounts and everything beyond the engine etc.

In reality though, when you drive them you basically just stick it in third and don’t bother moving it. You don’t need the lower gears as the motor has more than enough torque and power at zero RPM to get the car going unlike an engine. In first gear you’ll just light up the tyres by just touching the throttle.

Man of Honour
Shame there is no reasonable price way to properly convert most vehicles - there are 1-2 I would probably be tempted to do.

Soldato
No not yet, out of my budget at the moment and no real need to change right now. Just interested to see if manufacturers were looking to fill that fun factor space with EV's yet.

Definitely test drive one, I would say the M3 is very fun to drive! Most of that down to the instant acceleration, no gears, one-pedal driving etc which isn't unique.

Soldato
Didn't @WJA96 overturn his model3 on a bend (& thankfully walked) ... never really explained what happened.

lots of torque and it being RWD only.
electronics(torque vectoring/fast traction control) to control that torque at low speeds - like on id3 and kona (addressed on the i3s, m3);
also, ev torque drop off at higher 100kph/60mph+ speeds , for overtaking, are other driveability issue on ev's with lower power's.

so on my ev test drive, I'd want some greasy bends and some 50-70 overtakes, nonetheless, going to have withdrwal symptoms missing that intoxicating bmw i6 soundtrack.

Soldato
Can you stop mis-using the term torque vectoring please.

The IPACE is pretty good to be fair, good steering and nice enough weight transfer, its quite loose at the rear end in this weather at low speed but i think the M&S tyres don't help and Rain/Ice/Snow mode splits power 50:50 as default which helps

Last edited:
Soldato
brake torque vectoring is the most common parlance - (on bmw, tesla, mazda) albeit tesla abused the terminology further by calling front/back power shift torque vectoring
[e: 2 videos i'd previously looked at
The McLaren P1 Has An Open Differential?
How Does The Tesla Model 3 Handle Snow?
]

Normally they are fully functional as the typical way they do a conversion is to replace the engine with a motor and use the existing mounts and everything beyond the engine etc.
quest last night a series 'Vintage voltage' where they convert a 911 to electric - tesla motor in the back and 14(20?) cooled battery packs equally distributed between bonnet/boot,400v electric A/C
- not surprisingly with 450bhp versus 250 in the original is beat it on the track although they didn't seem to reveal final weight, or cost;
hell of a lot of custom parts, but they intend to productionize that.

Last edited:
Soldato
They don’t tell you because the cost to retrofit is £lol, I’ve seen prices quoted as much as £50k-£100k often not including the donar car.

They often do loads of work to these older cars at the same time to restore and protect the chassis and body panels while they have the car apart.

I think just a functional model S battery pack is knocking on £9k used and as you say, a ton of custom work. Particularly for a no cut resto mod.

Soldato
Indeed, conversion stuff isnt really relevant to this thread.

brake torque vectoring is the most common parlance - (on bmw, tesla, mazda) albeit tesla abused the terminology further by calling front/back power shift torque vectoring
[e: 2 videos i'd previously looked at
The McLaren P1 Has An Open Differential?
How Does The Tesla Model 3 Handle Snow?
]

Again. Vectoring is across an axle to help direction/rotation and yaw rate gain - the car is changing direction = vector.

Not simple front to rear tractive effort moving.

Last edited:
Soldato
They don’t tell you because the cost to retrofit is £lol, I’ve seen prices quoted as much as £50k-£100k often not including the donar car.

They often do loads of work to these older cars at the same time to restore and protect the chassis and body panels while they have the car apart.

I think just a functional model S battery pack is knocking on £9k used and as you say, a ton of custom work. Particularly for a no cut resto mod.

I had a '95 RX7 which had a completely rust free straight chassis which had already been converted to LS power. The plan was to swap in a Tesla motor using some custom electronics which were just starting to appear but yeah I estimated £40-50K just to get a conversion done without all the finagling that happens with custom work so just bought a Model 3 instead.

Which meant I now have a car that can do the commute reliably and in comfort but has enough performance and handling to keep me interested.

Soldato
Pretty much the only people commissioning these high end no-cut conversions are filthy rich and it’s more of a passion project than in any sense of sustainability.

I’ve seen plenty of DIY efforts but they very in quality greatly.

Soldato
We’ve just swapped our family wagon to an MG5 from an outlander; two weeks in and saved 120 on fuel.

nothing really exciting about it large boot for the kids rubbish and getting 160/180 miles out of it at dual carriage / motorway driving.

Soldato
We’ve just swapped our family wagon to an MG5 from an outlander; two weeks in and saved 120 on fuel.

nothing really exciting about it large boot for the kids rubbish and getting 160/180 miles out of it at dual carriage / motorway driving.
The new longer range one?

Those MG cars are pretty damn good now. With carplay/android auto the crap infotainment is not such a big deal and they drive just like any other EV, which is to say pretty smoothly and quietly.

Soldato
No it’s the previous model 21 plate we got it brand new two weeks ago. Luckily there are free fast chargers at both ends of my wife’s journey she’s only charging it twice a week this way.

Associate
No it’s the previous model 21 plate we got it brand new two weeks ago. Luckily there are free fast chargers at both ends of my wife’s journey she’s only charging it twice a week this way.
If you can get your hands on a AA Wireless then you can enjoy wireless android auto and apple car play.
Mine has just come after 5 months.
Sadly it doesn't fit under the sliding cover where it plugs in.

Mine live in the side pouch next to my left leg.
If your headlights are too dull then night breakers are good.

Back
Top Bottom