When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
So those above with a SR no regrets not getting the LR? Does it feel quick enough? My lease isn't up for another year but already looking at the Model 3, I do 100 miles around each day 95% motorway

No regrets at all.

To date I've had to use a supercharger / charge during a journey once. That took less than 20 minutes.

The extra cost.disnt justify the additional range which, as I am proving, I just didn't need

As for the speed, yes 0-60 in 5.3 (or 5.1 whatever it is) seconds feels quick enough

Soldato
No regrets at all getting the SR+. Mines slightly faster than the one currently on sale and it still had the 60kwh battery.

The car is plenty fast enough, it’s about 300hp and has no gear changes.

Would I like the extra range and slightly faster charging and the speed of the LR?

Sure. Would I spend £9k of my own money on it? No.

I’ve done a few long trips across the country (well outside the LRs range as well) and it’s just never been an issue. In the real world, my bladder needs to empty more frequently then the car needs to charge.

The longest day I have done is 450 miles. That took two 20 min charges on a super charger.

One of the interesting ‘features’ I’ve found out since getting the SR is that if you plug in the car into a fast DC charger, at a relatively high state of charge, the car will still take a huge burst of energy before taping down. You don’t normally see that unless the car is basically empty and it’s really helpful if you plug in at a sub optimal time (E.g. due to bladder range).

Is that 100 miles a day (50 each way) or 100 miles each way (200 in total)?

For a 100 mile a day, 50 miles in each direction then you’ll use about 50% of the cars battery a day. That’s well within its capabilities.

It’s obviously a personal choice but I took a similar view to @{SAS}TB.

Associate
I have only had my M3 Performance for a week. I have not even got a proper charger at home yet but even so I stuck the granny charger out the window and charged it to 80% on the Sunday over night. I only have a 20 mile commute to work and it barely touches the battery in comfort mode (something like 4% it used this morning)

Now in sport mode it drinks the battery if you put your foot down but sometimes its fun just to see people faces when you accelerate at some ridiculous speed, not sure its worth the battery power you lose tho!

Associate
No regrets at all getting the SR+. Mines slightly faster than the one currently on sale and it still had the 60kwh battery.

The car is plenty fast enough, it’s about 300hp and has no gear changes.

Would I like the extra range and slightly faster charging and the speed of the LR?

Sure. Would I spend £9k of my own money on it? No.

I’ve done a few long trips across the country (well outside the LRs range as well) and it’s just never been an issue. In the real world, my bladder needs to empty more frequently then the car needs to charge.

The longest day I have done is 450 miles. That took two 20 min charges on a super charger.

One of the interesting ‘features’ I’ve found out since getting the SR is that if you plug in the car into a fast DC charger, at a relatively high state of charge, the car will still take a huge burst of energy before taping down. You don’t normally see that unless the car is basically empty and it’s really helpful if you plug in at a sub optimal time (E.g. due to bladder range).

Is that 100 miles a day (50 each way) or 100 miles each way (200 in total)?

For a 100 mile a day, 50 miles in each direction then you’ll use about 50% of the cars battery a day. That’s well within its capabilities.

It’s obviously a personal choice but I took a similar view to @{SAS}TB.
Yeah 50 each way. Cheers for all that, just got to hope no more price rises in the meantime!

Associate
have had model 3 SR+ for not 2.5 years now, paid 39.5k all in
same spec now is 48k... i have FSD as well well i paid 5.8k for and thats 6.8k now
the current spec would be better but not that much better, plus its a 6 month wait!

Soldato
A model 3SR will do 200 miles at 70 without having to charge - done it myself 5 or 6 times in the last few weeks
you habitually top up to 100% overnight ? or try to stick to 80%

[ lol given previous discussions on ev noise generation
Ferrari sound engineers also wanted to make sure the new V-6 engine could match the high-frequency notes of a naturally aspirated V-12.
The solution was to use a so-called “hot tube” that amplifies the sound from the exhaust manifolds, while a “cold tube” takes care of the air intake sound

May27 In what could be a fresh blow to British carmaking, the country's top auto manufacturer, Jaguar Land Rover, is in talks with Northvolt and SVolt Energy about supplying batteries for a range of EVs it may build in Slovakia.

]

Soldato
I charge to 100%, use as needed and charge when I have to.

I have the LFP batteries so no need to stick to 80% or 90% which was the advise for the older battery packs
I don't as I don't use it to commute so tend to leave it at 60-70% in the week and charge it up to 100% on Friday ready for the weekend.

Soldato
No regrets about the SR+ here either. As above, yeah I'd like more range, but it doesn't justify the cost.

You can literally get anywhere in Europe in an SR+ using only Superchargers, such is the well planned layout of them. And 100% of the times I've stopped to charge my OH has needed the toilet anyway... :cry:

Soldato
So those above with a SR no regrets not getting the LR? Does it feel quick enough? My lease isn't up for another year but already looking at the Model 3, I do 100 miles around each day 95% motorway
With a 40 mile total commute the LR made no sense as I would be barely using 15% of the battery daily but yeah I do keep thinking about getting one just for that extra performance. My car being non-LFP battery based is actually close to 5 secs to 60 which by any measure is a quick car for daily commuter. Any EV feels pretty quick off the line and it's actually hard not to leave most cars on the road several lengths behind from a standing start. Tesla cars don't have much of a performance drop either and will accelerate beyond 70mph quite comfortably.

I need to compare with a test drive but I've read several times that the SR+ being that much lighter and RWD only actually feels more "pointy" than the AWD cars which obviously have the straight line advantage. Feels pretty good to be for a large saloon with plenty of grip and low body roll.

I usually see a range of 180 to 240 across the year with 50% of my commute being 70 mph.

Soldato
bmw on a roll, this FAAR chassis looks interesting - negligible transmission tunnel in the i x1 it appears, but presumably more pronounced in the ICE 4wd version,
(perhaps since it is an suv prop can be mounted lower down in the body anyway )
only 2 electric motors initially so no equivalent to edrive40 announced yet - they are going for high end market ?

all-new 2023 BMW X1 with BMW iX1 (EV) PREMIERE REVIEW

Soldato
You know the X1 has a transverse engine yeah? So it’s got as much transmission tunnel (ps that means a transmission isn’t in it) as a MINI.

It’s got little motors, that’s why no 2WD I suspect, poor performance and grade- ability with a single ~150bhp motor isn’t really credible for a BMW X product.

Soldato
You know the X1 has a transverse engine yeah? So it’s got as much transmission tunnel (ps that means a transmission isn’t in it) as a MINI.

It’s got little motors, that’s why no 2WD I suspect, poor performance and grade- ability with a single ~150bhp motor isn’t really credible for a BMW X product.
Ooops jp talking the usual rubbish

BMW have really lost the plot since the i3 and i8 though, which is sad. This is just very mediocre, will be interesting to see how they price it.

Soldato
Ooops jp talking the usual rubbish
BS if you watch the video with him in the back, the transmission tunnel (for shared ice/bev) is negligible - definitely not like riding a horse in a 3 series for the 3rd man;
irrespective of transverse engine the (ICE) power doesn't miraculously appear at the back.

Soldato
It’s a different platform to a 3 series (clue 3 series is a longitudinal engine… you need to get in cars rather than doing this thing you do via proxy on videos. The front occupants in a 3 series have a ZF 8 speed say between them!

I loved the idea they move to engine so the PTO
Is lower in a “SUV”. It’s the same. They just drop the wheels out and bigger wheels for ground clearance. The platform bits then lever the volumes they need to by being the same and saving loads of development and tooling costs.

FAAR is an adaptation of UKL1/UKL2 mini platform.

Soldato
Yeah 50 each way. Cheers for all that, just got to hope no more price rises in the meantime!

I have to say the SR+ continues to impress me. I was out yesterday on some twisty rural routes and was able to stretch its legs a bit.

It’s a fairly heavy car at around 1800kg but it handles the bends very well. The steering is very pointy and the traction control lets the rear slip a little which adds a little something.

I checked the trip when I got home and it still did under 230wh/mile, clearly I wasn’t trying hard enough…

Back
Top Bottom