When are you going fully electric?

Caporegime
My understanding (although I'm mo accountant or tax expert) is you're only taxed in anything over the 45p mile (for first 10k miles) then it drops over the 10k mile threshold

That's the "bar" for tax the other guidance rates are just that

Hmm my understanding was that you are taxed for anything over "the advisory fuel rates for the engine size and fuel type of the company car" as it states on HMRC's website. Just because you drive a small engined petrol car and the advisory rate is 13p per mile, doesn't mean your employer can pay you 45p for first 10,000 miles and you get that extra 32p tax free. You can't just pick the highest rate as your threshold.

I await to be corrected by one of the many accountants on the forums as if I am wrong, thats a massive tax loophole that we should be exploiting at work.

Soldato
That’s assuming they want to pay you that much. I’d have thought the business would pay the least they can get away with while keeping their employees happy. That’s business 101 isn’t it?

Soldato
Hmm my understanding was that you are taxed for anything over "the advisory fuel rates for the engine size and fuel type of the company car" as it states on HMRC's website. Just because you drive a small engined petrol car and the advisory rate is 13p per mile, doesn't mean your employer can pay you 45p for first 10,000 miles and you get that extra 32p tax free. You can't just pick the highest rate as your threshold.

I await to be corrected by one of the many accountants on the forums as if I am wrong, thats a massive tax loophole that we should be exploiting at work.
Yup, that is my understanding as well.

It's my favourite topic to bitch about as I have a 1395cc estate which is often loaded up with kit so the HMRC rate is a work of fiction compared to my actual fuel costs.

Also annoys me that I was meant to get a 1.5 TSI which is more economical and would see me getting an extra 3 pence per mile.

Caporegime
That’s assuming they want to pay you that much. I’d have thought the business would pay the least they can get away with while keeping their employees happy. That’s business 101 isn’t it?

Most businesses pay the HMRC advisory rates but some are known to pay more.

With the EV rate been set at a stupidly low 5p per mile which only works if you can charge at home for all your business miles, I can some businesses offering to pay more than 5p per mile so their employees aren't out of pocket.

Soldato
Well. Either the cost of new would need to drop significantly drop or someone would need to convince me a second hand battery powered cat is a good idea. The latter is unlikely.

The battery powered Cat is launching soon so give it a few years and you’ll be able to get a Cat for not a lot of cash.

In the mean time what about a battery powered dog? :D

Associate
I just went electric, got myself a 2020 model 3 performance.

Don't ask me why, I should have got a cheaper car and been sensible but I wanted a treat.

The thing is amasing though, coming from a petrol Astra is a bit of a shock.

I'm hoping to offset a little of the cost with not spending £200 a month on petrol but hey ho, it's a fun car lol

Car had 1 owner and only done 13k miles!

Soldato
Bit of a result with Octopus Go Faster for me as I’ve been renewed on same dirt cheap rate for another 12months. Then just drove from the midlands to Cardiff for Ed sheeran tour, parked where I planned (St David) and grab the last free Podpoint in the multi-storey where they are 0p/kWh. So I’ll do about 270miles today and it will have cost about £3 in electric :D Destination charging much better concept.

Soldato
Wont you get taxed on the difference between 13p and HMRC's guide of 5p per mile? Unless your costs are actually 13p per mile?

No.

It's an expense - the HMRC guide is a guide

i thought with ICE car mileage that if you got paid over the HMRC guidance then you got taxed on the extra (unless you could show it match your actual costs)?
You're talking about different things.

If it's a company car, you'd get taxed over those advisory company car rates (talking in simple terms, there are exceptions as described on the Gov website).

@{SAS}TB said he takes a car allowance though, so his car is technically privately owned , so the 45p/25p regime applies instead.

The confusion comes in that many companies use the advisory company car rates for employees on allowances too, but as far as HMRC are concerned, it's a private car regardless.

Soldato
You're talking about different things.

If it's a company car, you'd get taxed over those advisory company car rates (talking in simple terms, there are exceptions as described on the Gov website).

@{SAS}TB said he takes a car allowance though, so his car is technically privately owned , so the 45p/25p regime applies instead.

The confusion comes in that many companies use the advisory company car rates for employees on allowances too, but as far as HMRC are concerned, it's a private car regardless.
Cheers !

Soldato
further i4 edrive 40 versus tesla sr comparison -
interesting point that lower gearing and lower top speed on the bmw enables better performance (keeping motor in the torque sweet spot) and compatible economy within the usual motorway speeds, despite the weight disadvantage.
https://efahrer.chip.de/news/bmw-i4-edrive-40-im-test-dieser-bayer-faehrt-tesla-davon_107917 29May

when the ev range matters you are typically doing higher motorway speeds to get somewhere, so wltp is less interesting than the range at those speeds;
was doing a 200 miles roundtrip last Friday at 70mph, in an ice, journey would not have presented any destination charging opportunity, and having to stop for charging would have been an inconvenience.

Soldato
further i4 edrive 40 versus tesla sr comparison -
interesting point that lower gearing and lower top speed on the bmw enables better performance (keeping motor in the torque sweet spot) and compatible economy within the usual motorway speeds, despite the weight disadvantage.
https://efahrer.chip.de/news/bmw-i4-edrive-40-im-test-dieser-bayer-faehrt-tesla-davon_107917 29May

when the ev range matters you are typically doing higher motorway speeds to get somewhere, so wltp is less interesting than the range at those speeds;
was doing a 200 miles roundtrip last Friday at 70mph, in an ice, journey would not have presented any destination charging opportunity, and having to stop for charging would have been an inconvenience.

A model 3SR will do 200 miles at 70 without having to charge - done it myself 5 or 6 times in the last few weeks

Soldato
I just went electric, got myself a 2020 model 3 performance.

Don't ask me why, I should have got a cheaper car and been sensible but I wanted a treat.

The thing is amasing though, coming from a petrol Astra is a bit of a shock.

I'm hoping to offset a little of the cost with not spending £200 a month on petrol but hey ho, it's a fun car lol

Car had 1 owner and only done 13k miles!

EV was the only way I could convince myself to buy a new car after having always bought 2nd hand and no more than £2K for commuting. Started with a 2014 i3 for a year to make sure I was OK with electric then put in an order for a Model 3. Almost 3 years later and no regrets.

Soldato
A model 3SR will do 200 miles at 70 without having to charge - done it myself 5 or 6 times in the last few weeks

It will do it in a U.K. winter without issue too.

In fact the only time I haven’t got 200 miles out of it was during that huge storm that rolled through in February and literally the whole country shut down for the day. It’s fair to say driving directly into a 70mph headwind on a cold day knocks a bit of the range off!

Associate
So those above with a SR no regrets not getting the LR? Does it feel quick enough? My lease isn't up for another year but already looking at the Model 3, I do 100 miles around each day 95% motorway

Back
Top Bottom