When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
That's interesting, particularly how good the i4 is being a normalish non SUV car there that you'd actually want to drive.

Yes it does very well, which can only be good for EV adoption, especially given it has great charging speeds as well. Nice to see a real world scenario used as well, as opposed to driving in a circle at 70mph, or worse driving at 35mph in a circle!

Soldato
Only problem is the weather isn’t real world for the UK :D in terms of uk muggles reading that and now armed with even more “my car doesn’t so the range it should” at dealerships.

Oh and driving passed 0miles isn’t really a real world use case anyway.

Associate
The XC90 is about 71,000 euros starting price so 88,000 doesn't seem too nuts given the spec and being electric. The XQC is £70,000 so it seems pretty comparable to me!

Maybe, but list price doesn't tell the whole story, with traditional sales model you'd go in to dealer and getting ~10k off your Volvo or other legacy makers is fairly straight forward with discounts and finance deals etc, less so with the online model. Probably less of a problem for those who rent rather than buy.

Maybe, but list price doesn't tell the whole story, with traditional sales model you'd go in to dealer and getting ~10k off your Volvo or other legacy makers is fairly straight forward with discounts and finance deals etc, less so with the online model. Probably less of a problem for those who rent rather than buy.

When they didn't have supply issues sure

Soldato
Interesting test. You can criticise the methodology but at the end of the day, it’s not realistic for them to test them all across a range of weathers for a piece in a magazine.

Likewise I agree it’s not realistic to drive them past zero but in reality you need to have an idea of how your car behaves once it gets to zero. I don’t ever plan on running out of fuel and never have but plenty of people seem to manage to.

To be honest, having owned a true 200+ mile BEV for awhile now and I’ve gotten past the whole range thing. I’ve done quite a few 500 mile days and having high powered chargers in the right places is more important than having a massive battery that does 400 miles that you don’t use day to day.

Destination charging is also key, it keeps people off the rapids much more than you would initially think.

Soldato
Likewise I agree it’s not realistic to drive them past zero but in reality you need to have an idea of how your car behaves once it gets to zero. I don’t ever plan on running out of fuel and never have but plenty of people seem to manage to.

I think that is why they did that as a separate test, and it wasn't included in the range test results, as very few people would even dare to go to 0% let alone far past that, which is obviously sensible.

Destination charging is also key, it keeps people off the rapids much more than you would initially think.
Yeah, I've used more camp site chargers than rapids in my BEV ownership, as even 6-10A overnight charging is a big bonus if not moving the car for that wasted time period.

Associate
Only problem is the weather isn’t real world for the UK :D in terms of uk muggles reading that and now armed with even more “my car doesn’t so the range it should” at dealerships.

They did a winter test too so you could see the expected deviation, all this sort of data helps keep consumers informed.

Oh and driving passed 0miles isn’t really a real world use case anyway

Isn't it, sounds like a man who doesn't play petrol station chicken :D

Saw an e-208 doing approx 30mph on the M4 coming home lunchtime, I think he might have failed and was in turtle mode :D also saw a HGV reversing up the motorway split junction for M48/M4 as he took the wrong one, dangerous AF :eek:

Soldato
They did a winter test too so you could see the expected deviation, all this sort of data helps keep consumers informed.
Only informed customers. So 0.05% of the UK :p
Saw an e-208 doing approx 30mph on the M4 coming home lunchtime, I think he might have failed and was in turtle mode :D also saw a HGV reversing up the motorway split junction for M48/M4 as he took the wrong one, dangerous AF :eek:
I dunno, I’ve seen worse backtracking in these forums :D

Soldato
It looks like we could be getting an electric replacement for the MG F/TF in 2024.

Now that’s something I am interested in given Mazda have seems to have dropped the ball on EVs.

Caporegime
Driver was probably in turtle head mode

Soldato
only issue is that's china MG , will they ever pick up some of the engineering/handling expertise of the real/original MG, it's a pity jaguar didn't buy/partner them.
I think MG would tell you the don't need to pick up any European engineering skills given they are currently knocking out the park with their BEV's and seem to be teaching the value orientated western brands a thing or two.

Caporegime
I think MG would tell you the don't need to pick up any European engineering skills given they are currently knocking out the park with their BEV's and seem to be teaching the value orientated western brands a thing or two.
Lol. You didn’t see the lower arm that snapped on a 1000mile old one earlier then ? Bit of a different customer base too. Fisher price cars vs real ones.

You ordered your MG yet?

Associate
Lol. You didn’t see the lower arm that snapped on a 1000mile old one earlier then ? Bit of a different customer base too. Fisher price cars vs real ones.

You ordered your MG yet?

What like the Toyota where the wheel falls off?

Or the Skoda where the fuse that pops and burns the car down?

Yeah different customer base and real cars....

Soldato
Strong words. On which attributes are you talking or just the usual physics efficiency stuff. I notice I have no come back in my views from WhatCar “impressive” chunder aswell. It’s almost like MG have paid some of these magazine. No doubt have positioned themselves as a strong entry price brand though.

Check MG. SAIC. And where a good bulk of the engineering takes place before pretending to be in a position to declare who are “knocking or out the park”. You might not get your posts knocked about so much then.

Soldato

I think the advantage they obviously have is the huge manufacturing base/lead that China have for BEV's, they are making progress much faster than a lot of other companies/manufacturers in EU/NA but the stigma is still there, and I suppose to some extent that is reasonable, given that they only recently got out of the copying cars business.

I will say, I did enjoy the MG MG5 I have for a while, it was a good car for its price (when it was cheaper) and the new version looks a great deal improved. You are obviously going to get car ******* who'll **** off anything that isn't a Jaaaaag, or Audi etc. but mass market appeal cars will never meet their 'needs'.

EDIT: The new MG4 looks like a good contender for the less expensive CUV/crossover buyer - https://www.mg.co.uk/new-cars/mg4-ev - starts at £25,995, and MG normally do quite appealing finance options compared with some others.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom