When are you going fully electric?

Associate
Test drove the new Niro EV today, a nice refined little car, think it is perhaps a little pricey for what it offers but won't be too upset it if wins the race to take my money :D

A sad as it sounds were still a little bit unsure about buying a Kia, don't feel we've hit that age to have given up on life yet :D

I know weird brand perception thing is all us and it's perfectly good but still.

Last edited:
Soldato
My Zoe 40kWh cost £12k in 2018 lol. Granted that was battery lease but even the battery owned version was only 20k.

Inflation has hit EVs hard

Soldato
Most EVs have risen in price significantly in the past 18 months. I was looking at possibly buying a Polestar 2 standard range single motor in Oct 2021 for £38k but they are £44k now. ID.3 prices have risen even more.

What I find funny is the people who claim their EV is costing them nothing, because it is worth more (or the same) as when they bought it. They tend to forget that we have had over 10% inflation since (if) they bought their EV two years or more ago. So their £ has significantly dropped in value and if they sell their current EV, they still have to pay significantly higher prices for a used replacement. Or they pay for a new one, they wait 8 - 18 months depending on what they replace it with.

Last edited:
Associate
They'll do this by invading Taiwan (or just blockading it), driving cost of every electrical component up and then we will be paying 60k for the cheapest EV!

(TSMC) Taiwan China, is only a part of the world biggest semiconductor manufacturers, 1 Infineon Technologies AG (Germany) 2. NXP Semiconductors N.V (The Netherlands) 3. Renesas Electronics Corp (Japan) 4. Texas Instruments, Inc. (U.S.) 5. STMicroelectronics N.V. (Switzerland) The Covid pandemic caused acute shortage of microchips. And if the US & Allies should cause the next war with Taiwan China it would damage world trade, so we all lose again.

The Chinese NIO car manufacturer makes some nice cars there EV range is 610KM:)

Last edited:
Associate
when was the UK last heralded for engineering expertise - Rolls Royce/ ARM ?
66% of world semiconductors come from taiwan.

Nice Munro pictures of the new tesla battery pack - they don't look repairable or second lifeable 4680 Battery Pack: What We Found Under the Foam!
his video on the single piece tesla rear casting too, dispels myth they are not repairable.
Nearly every F1 team, where much automotive tech was pioneered plenty of other things too, I have personally worked on plenty of comms chips amoungst other things, I'm the UK, don't be so dismissive of what can or does get done by teams in the UK.

Soldato

Nice Munro pictures of the new tesla battery pack - they don't look repairable or second lifeable 4680 Battery Pack: What We Found Under the Foam!
his video on the single piece tesla rear casting too, dispels myth they are not repairable.
66% of Semiconductor manufacturing is in Taiwan, from British design. We outsourced the dirty bit :)

Soldato
Aerospace wing design, Rolls Royce gas turbines rolls Royce nuclear pressure vessels, bae land and air systems, Babcock and bae nuclear submarines. JET and AWE. Please tell us what ARM is… pointless conversation really if we have to explain that and you cite semiconductors, that stuff is black magic and witchcraft anyway.
Which part does it dismiss, please describe YOUR observation made from the video and conclusion of your statement. I believe it’s a false one. It gets hit, fractures and the car has to be replaced or a massive labour bill to replace casting rather than panels changes/reforming? Supports the how and why as to Tesla are getting into insurance in my views.

And yes the non structural “structural pack” is full of a mess of goop as expected in cell to pack, so much for that “change of a couple of modules” mantra that’s been going around

Soldato
Aerospace wing design, Rolls Royce gas turbines rolls Royce nuclear pressure vessels, bae land and air systems, Babcock and bae nuclear submarines. JET and AWE. Please tell us what ARM is… pointless conversation really if we have to explain that and you cite semiconductors, that stuff is black magic and witchcraft anyway.

I'd add the SABRE engine to that list.

Soldato
Just back from a week or so in the Lake District, 201 mile journey each way, M5, M6, A590..

+'s and -'s from an EV perspective:
Journey Up (Plan was to stop and charge to 75% en-route so we'd arrive with plenty of charge at the cottage).
- Stopped at some services with 4 EV bays, of which only 2 can be used at a time, 1 was Chademo Only and 1 numpty in an ID.4 was overstaying in his spot for over 2 hours, so basically 1 charger between 3 of us trying to do a splash 'n' dash..
+ The cameradery at the services was great, 3 of us all worked together, giving each 15-20 mins to get enough charge. despite all that, we still managed to charge before the family had finished their lunch (being busy it took 30+ mins to get food let alone eat it).
+ Travel Assist on the ID.3 on the M6 was a god send, it really takes the hassle out of stop/start/slow moving motorway traffic.
+ We got 4 m/kwh average with a very full car (4 + dog + weeks luggage), the temperature was 20 degrees, so ideal for longer battery life.. (not too much air con needed, battery chemistry loving 20+ degrees!)

Out and about
+ Despite a total drought of chargers, we had no issues, I used £15 bonnet credit + the first month free subscription to charge @ 0.45p at a Genie point in Ulverston that was always empty. That and using the £5 instavolt credit at the local Booths (they have 4 fast chargers per supermarket site) which invariably only had 1 or 2 max charging at any time so actually never waited once for a charge and using £20 of credit and remaning charge @0.45p/kwh meant we didn't spend much at all on fuel.
- Managed to find a pothole/missing edge of the road at the wrong point and ripped both inside tyres, slightly bending the alloys at the same time
+ The local VW dealer (some 1.5 miles from the pothole!) had 2 spare tyres and managed to get us underway with the caution of getting the alloys changed as soon as.
- the windy/undulating roads with a heavily sprung EV does not lead to a nice ride for passengers, getting a bit car sick in the back after 30 minutes.. I found winding DCC to max (stiffest) stopped the issue, setting it to softest definitely had a bit too much 'bounce'.

Journey Back:
+ Travel Assist once more was so helpful on the usual M6 congestion
- Whilst we did a splash and dash at the Ionity at Stafford, one charger was out, and the one I ended up with wouldn't read my WeCharge card (giving us 0.45p/kwh), I initially started charging using the IONITY app @ 0.69p/kwh until I realised you can initiate a charge using the ID Connect app so taking advantage of the We Charge discounted rates, so stopped after 10kwh's of juice and restarted using the cheaper method. this just shows the faff it still can be.. enough chargers here, but RFID not working, then having to figure out what app allowed what..

Overall it cements that whilst we are very happy with an EV, it only works with a bit of knowledge and prior thought, if traffic conditions change and you need to re-route, it can be luck if you can find anywhere quickly to charge without getting someone else in the car to trawl through ABRP / Plugshare or Zap Maps and there is always a percentage of chargers not working, or some numpties overstaying by hours hogging a spot..

It's fine for us since 98% of the time we charge at home, so it's just the odd long journey we have to endure the aggro, but if I was having to use public charging daily, it'd put me off a bit, especially if I was travelling to different places all the time, I'd only consider an EV if it was a Tesla just for the charging network.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom