When are you going fully electric?

To be fair, Tesla and almost all of the other 6 big charger providers would be happy to deploy 500 stalls each tomorrow, the DNOs are basically the road block for all this infrastructure.

Tebay services confirmed they are ready to install another 8 southbound and 16 northbound but are being held up by Local DNO who are saying they need to increase supply/power before it can be done.

Tebay services confirmed they are ready to install another 8 southbound and 16 northbound but are being held up by Local DNO who are saying they need to increase supply/power before it can be done.

What makes it more interesting is just how easy adding extra capacity (bays) once the DNO has the infrastructure to handle it, and I am sure there is much less guess work on demand now with real data being available to the charging suppliers from the likes of Zap Map/ABRP etc.

Easy yes as it fundamentally only requires power. However someone has to pay for the chargers and see a return. Having loads of a few peak times when most the time a few chargers would do isn’t ideal for a business.

To avoid more power supply buffer batteries are also an option. But this (and more copper cable) don’t come for free, neither £cost or carbon cost

The £950 million Rapid Charging fund sounds like it was approved just before Christmas. This is where Tesla may open up more access to get access to that funding.
Ehhh... they aren't compliant with government guidance around contactless payment and data sharing.

Not sure if they will qualify unless they adapt, but we shall see what the requirements are when the scheme is actually open I guess.

More a case of a monopoly service won’t get the access to government funded grid connections expansion.
They have been opening up to all users to get grants in other countries

Just don’t know if they would qualify here

RCF will probably require any supported grid connection to be accessed by multiple operators anyway rather than locked to one

Ehhh... they aren't compliant with government guidance around contactless payment and data sharing.

Not sure if they will qualify unless they adapt, but we shall see what the requirements are when the scheme is actually open I guess.
Contactless payment isn’t a requirement, what they are non compliant with is being able to use the charger without registering first. I agree that should be a requirement and it could be easily resolved by a web interface (like Ionity and others do).

To be honest I don’t think contactless payment should be a requirement either. I have flip flopped on this and more payment options are better but from from a practical perspective, there are a lot of issues.

The volume of transactions are really low and it adds a lot of cost on to a low margin transaction and something which is going to be fairly competitive in the future. At the very most you are looking at 3 per hour per terminal at peak times. Things like ‘plug and charge’ are going to make it largely redundant for the vast majority of people.

More a case of a monopoly service won’t get the access to government funded grid connections expansion.
All the A proportion of the new sites they have opened recently are open to all users. I’m also surprised the likes of Grantham and Ferry Bridge on the A1 are not open to all as they are not that busy.
Fingers crossed.
Seems like an odd stance given that they have consistently opened up all their new sites and most of their old ones across Europe.

The day they flipped the open switch to open the first round sites in the U.K. they became the largest rapid charging network by the number of stalls overnight. The day they do the rest will be a good day for EV drivers in general.

I think the main reason most of their sites in the U.K. haven’t opened up is that they are mainly older, very busy V2 sites and there is zero alternatives around. There is a huge risk of them being swamped like those of the M6 over this week. That said, by the end of 2023, I think they will all be open.

Welcome Break services are just dire for EV charging, Moto seem to have got their act together and either have a a large Tesla or Gridserve (or both) deployment at most of their prime sites now.

Tesla has been getting a lot of coverage over queues in a couple of places but the reality is, at Gretna Green, the Ionity and grid serve chargers had a 2 hour queue as well as Tesla.

The last few times I have dropped into Cambridge and Peterborough services for a quick pee, both have had queues at Ionity and Grid serve and those were just a normal Friday/Sunday night. Fortunately I didn’t need to get on a charger but I may have done if they were available.

Edit: I think there is a massive expansion planned for that M6 site causing all the drama next year. Another 8 south bound and 16 new ones going in on the north bound side. Once it’s done I expect it will also be open to all.

Last edited:
Contactless payment isn’t a requirement, what they are non compliant with is being able to use the charger without registering first. I agree that should be a requirement and it could be easily resolved by a web interface (like Ionity and others do).
Gov’t is pretty keen on this

Also it has a small cost but it’s very minor in the grand scheme of grid, charger hardware, rents and electricity cost

Exeter is a new Tesla site, it’s not open to all. It’s still the original 15 from what I can tell.

Why do people invent stuff?

Erm because it’s not invented :confused:

Ok so Exeter isn’t open but Newport and Croydon which also opened in the last few weeks are…

Exeter also has one of the biggest Gridserve deployments in the country at a Motorway Services so I can see the logic there for now although I’d argue that’s to Gridserve’s benefit rather than Tesla’s.

Last edited:
#factcheck :)

Still 15 sites on my app?
#factcheck incoming

I count 17 (excluding Calais in the bottom right).

Which app are you looking at? If it’s not the Tesla App, then all I can say is it’s wrong.

Weird. Exeter Tesla had cars plugged in two weeks ago. And was definitely Tesla only
Yes, my bad that’s Tesla only.

It seems there is also another site just opened up at Heathrow that also isn’t open. I didn’t even know that one existed and I was there all but 3 weeks ago and it didn’t exist then so it must be very new. I would have used it if it was being basically next door to where I stayed.

I counted with my eyes so maybe there’s 1 extra now? On the basis I don’t include Calais as the UK.

Your statement was far more self assured than mine… please reflect on that.
I've edited my post :)

The two new ones are Sidcup (south East London) and Newport.

Of the sites that were opened at the tail end of this year, two were at their own service centres (Belfast and Reading) and lets be realistic, they are not opening up any time soon. One was built in parentship with Gridserve who also have 16 chargers on site (Exeter), one standalone site that isn't open to all (Heathrow T2 & T3) and the other two have been opened (Sidcup and Newport).

Either way, the general point still stands, it's opening up, including new sites.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom