When are you going fully electric?

I guess my next car will be electric.

I don't do much driving, 4/5k a year.

I drive a BMW 5-series (f10) in a lovely space grey and cream interior. M-sport w/ 19" wheels.

It's a 66 plate with 29k on the clock that I've had it for over 3 years.

I imagine I'll drive it for a few more years due to little mileage (even diesel costs aren't prohibitive cost wise) and then get an electric.

What I do know is it won't be a BMW. Quality of car aside, the front grill looks horrendous to my eye on the newer models, I'll never buy one.

Love the f10 m-sport saloon. Perfect styling to my eye.

I'm in a similar boat.
I could get an e-car as my next car, but I just think it's a stupid move. After the driving I did over the Christmas break, there's no way I could have done it. Parking at friends, and various car parks, it would be either been impossible to charge, or incredibly inconvenient.
Plus I'm still convinced battery cars are like mini discs. Good but, wait until the next big thing.

Was really to the person saying they would never go back.

Ignore the cabin tech. You prefer what on the EV ? Would you ever go EV only ?
For us the change from Q7/A8 cars to EV has been the complete lack of engine noise, instant torque, cheap home charging, remote heating/cooling and not poisoning environments as we go through towns and villages.
^

Basically as this chap has said. The noise (every day dreary noise, not the pops and bangs through tunnels :D) aspect is a hard thing to explain as "on paper" it doesn't make much sense - but it is like a Rolls-Royce relaxing cabin experience for a fraction of the cost. I also despise running my ICE for anything less than 5-10 miles to try and heat cycle it properly. In the BEV I have no such psychological constraints.

I'll keep my E43 till it dies theoretically, and hopefully at that point a compelling BEV is available for similar outlay which has defeated this charging issue (Christmas would have been unachievable for me without significant delays).

Changed job back in October which meant handing back my Polestar 2 on the company car scheme... been with the allowance since then and finally get access to the car portal at the end of my probation on 25th January. Not overly optimistic about what the options are going to be, I struck it lucky when I got the Polestar, but praying that a decent EV can be had on the scheme without too much of a crazy lead time.

To be fair. You only need a granny to do your miles so haven’t experience the chargin network and current prices. Or the tedium of sitting at 68mph and heating off just to make your destination

I got home from a trip with a dead battery to then do a long trip the next day. Just took the m3 instead and loved the free heat and no care for speed or range. Was a bit of a eye opener to driving again rather than a vessel of transportation.

Also due to nature of owners (company cars/ low running costs) who go from adiesel to a Ev they kind of miss out petrol when they think of ICE

Last edited:
We are EV only in the house of Sk8 with our one and only car. We also wouldn’t consider an ICE again and by the time I’ll be in the market again, ICE options will be more limited. You can already see the market consolidating.

I’ve never had any particular brand loyalty and I’d certainly consider another brand to Tesla when the times come. Who ever has the best package for the amount I am willing to spend will get my money. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on the polestar 2 over the Model 3 at the time.

To be fair. You only need a granny to do your miles so haven’t experience the chargin network and current prices. Or the tedium of sitting at 68mph and heating off just to make your destination

I got home from a trip with a dead battery to then do a long trip the next day. Just took the m3 instead and loved the free heat and no care for speed or range. Was a bit of a eye opener to driving again rather than a vessel of transportation.

Also due to nature of owners (company cars/ low running costs) who go from adiesel to a Ev they kind of miss out petrol when they think of ICE
I'd lump that in with range issues. It wasn't that long ago people were debating the merits of AC or no-AC and at what speed it became more economical to open windows etc.

I also really enjoy not having to go to the petrol station to fill up.

I would quite happily get an EV but there isn’t a car out yet that I would be happy with. My E63S for me is the complete package and would like a similar sized/spec saloon which isn’t hideous (thinking EQE/EQS). Would like the idea of driving around in silence but would miss the sound of a v8 as it’s quite an emotional experience

Last edited:
If they can fix the cold weather / winter range issues then I'd be a lot more keen. I'm about 2-3 years out from changing cars so here's hoping.
I mean, there's only so much we can do to get around physics. Batteries need to be warmer to be more efficient, but that heat has to come from somewhere - either the battery itself or from the EVSE overnight etc. Either way, it requires more power to use less power...

Last edited:
I mean, there's only so much we can do to get around physics. Batteries need to be warmer to be more efficient, but that heat has to come from somewhere - either the battery itself or from the EVSE overnight etc. Either way, it requires more power to use less power...
Great, but a car that goes from a claimed range of 250 miles to 150 or something will be a non starter for me. So I hope they can fix it.

I was looking at MG5's because I want to keep with estates but decided to bin it off. 99% of my driving is low mileage town driving and a BEV would suit that perfectly but the couple of times a year we go away in the car I simply can't be bothered with the hassle of charging

That and the price of them, even used hybrids are more expensive than a petrol engined estate I don't do the mileage to justify the cost difference

Great, but a car that goes from a claimed range of 250 miles to 150 or something will be a non starter for me. So I hope they can fix it.
It's pretty annoying but the only solution really is a bigger battery that has enough worst case range to ensure you are ok, with the summer range being a bonus

I wouldn't be surprised to see the next version of NEDC/WLTP type testing include some sort of test for cold weather and warm weather performance if EVs stick around, so as to generate a warm and cold range figure - even if said figures are only really indicative like MPG figures are these days

Agreed. All this mention about physics and engineering and blah - all irrelevant if you are just an end consumer making choices.
Oh I agree, but that's the reasoning behind it.

I hope the WLTP tests for EV could start giving us three figures like ICE ones. Urban, combined, highway - obviously the results would be the other way around for an EV but maybe we'd get a better idea. For example, I always bought an ICE on the "urban" figure and anything above that was a bonus.

I was looking at MG5's because I want to keep with estates but decided to bin it off. 99% of my driving is low mileage town driving and a BEV would suit that perfectly but the couple of times a year we go away in the car I simply can't be bothered with the hassle of charging

That and the price of them, even used hybrids are more expensive than a petrol engined estate I don't do the mileage to justify the cost difference

The MG5 is pretty small as far as estates go anyway - the boot isn't actually that much bigger than the ZS for example; certainly nowhere near a conventional small/medium estate such as an Octavia or Focus etc.

The WLTP number is just as meaningless as the MPG numbers are for ICE cars. All it does if give a basis for comparison between models.

That said as a general rule, WLPT -30% is roughly your average winter range in the UK on a U.K. motorway sticking to the posted speed limits.

The MG5 is pretty small as far as estates go anyway - the boot isn't actually that much bigger than the ZS for example; certainly nowhere near a conventional small/medium estate such as an Octavia or Focus etc.

The other downside is that they are becoming the new Prius and you don’t want to be parked up outside somewhere and some punter get in the back looking for their driver :p

The other downside is that they are becoming the new Prius and you don’t want to be parked up outside somewhere and some punter get in the back looking for their driver :p

Haha, a very good point :D

The WLTP number is just as meaningless as the MPG numbers are for ICE cars. All it does if give a basis for comparison between models.

That said as a general rule, WLPT -30% is roughly your average winter range in the UK on a U.K. motorway sticking to the posted speed limits.

It really is extremely variable:

I've managed to get almost 180 miles in a 41kWh R110 Zoe cruising up the M6 due to all the temporary 50mph roadworks.
In the same car I've also barely managed 120 miles on a charge doing between 30-50mph on windy country roads and through villages, in driving rain and strong headwinds, with a roofbox and surfboard strapped to it :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom