When are you going fully electric?

I guess that was the end phase of the trip as you are driving South so have a tailwind at that point, but then the wind says it cost you 3.2% (I assume of the battery rather than the trip segment of battery?) but the overall use was 6% less than the predicted? Good to see the data like that, but it would leave me confused to be honest.
And there is nothing you can do about it, unless you only follow the trade winds for your journeys lol.

Can the Tesla tell me anything forward. Doesn’t really help planning does it?

‘Sorry you ran out of battery cause of a headwind. Drive slower next time and Please recharge’

Data for the sake of data I fear.

Last edited:
Can the Tesla tell me anything forward. Doesn’t really help planning does it?

‘Sorry you ran out of battery cause of a headwind. Drive slower next time and Please recharge’

Data for the sake of data I fear.
I'd guess there's a reasonably high chance that the wind data is factored into their initial on-screen estimates when you first input a route, or at least updated on-route. It's just displayed so you get an idea of where your range went (or gained).

I'd guess there's a reasonably high chance that the wind data is factored into their initial on-screen estimates when you first input a route, or at least updated on-route. It's just displayed so you get an idea of where your range went (or gained).
Im gonna guess it isn’t. So how do we find out :)

doesn't look liker ABRP does , yet, just altitude.

Yea that's going to be out of my price range
same, hadn't appreciated the PPE platform A6 will use will use aspirational 800V, for those pitstops, you'd be on the Med before the others.

The state of charge will be 800 volts, and while the initial plan was to offer a high charging capacity of 350 kW, the new plan is to limit the maximum charging power to 270 kW. That’d be still fast enough, Audi indicated in the A6 e-tron concept announcement, saying that just ten minutes of charging can give a range of 300 km of range with just 10 minutes using a Level 3 DC fast charger. Charging up its 100 kWh (gross) battery pack from 5 to 80% SoC takes less than 25 minutes.
e: info based on android automotive is interesting too .. like pugs/polestar ...

Last edited:

same, hadn't appreciated the PPE platform A6 will use will use aspirational 800V, for those pitstops, you'd be on the Med before the others.

The state of charge will be 800 volts, and while the initial plan was to offer a high charging capacity of 350 kW, the new plan is to limit the maximum charging power to 270 kW. That’d be still fast enough, Audi indicated in the A6 e-tron concept announcement, saying that just ten minutes of charging can give a range of 300 km of range with just 10 minutes using a Level 3 DC fast charger. Charging up its 100 kWh (gross) battery pack from 5 to 80% SoC takes less than 25 minutes.
Platform and car price are 2 very different things

It would have been out of your price range anyway

Look at the Polestar 3 or Lotus Eletre they are 400V and still out of my/your price range lol

Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 are 800V start at £40k

I would have thought that graph of prediction could have altered based on the car data - looks like an initial prediction and left at that. Still the headwind meant the prediction was still pessimistic.

What's aspirational about thinner cables - J1 has been 800V already. How can you know its called PPE yet not 800V. Dunning-Kruger effect in full flow here.

Still ~3C cells from what i can see... at the right temp of course; all these brochure 23C figures are hard to replicate in the UK. We saw that in initial Ioniq5 winter charging. The med will be few places you get the proper speed.

Last edited:
What's aspirational about thinner cables - J1 has been 800V already. How can you know its called PPE yet not 800V
had forgotten , that that remains a distinction versus MEB .... aprirational - well bragging that you can refuel your EV fast sounds signaturizeable.

but indeed on the battery cells/meb id7passat range, if they are switching to optional prismatic is that giving the additional range.

Its irrelevant, its a business model that requires a tier of brands, different volumes material cost and profit margins. The new EVs are products not science experiments. The clue of course with PPE is the first letter and its word.
~
Getting a nickel rich cell with the right sort of electrode material is the kay to rapid charging; they all see the same 3.7-4.2V! 800V is just a easy brochure line, its like 2023s version of 'injection' from the 1990s, same as LFP pulling the no cobalt line but no mention of its lower performance & heavier chemistry means the general public think its the progress rather than a selected path for the product cost.

Last edited:
Its irrelevant, its a business model that requires a tier of brands, different volumes material cost and profit margins. The new EVs are products not science experiments. The clue of course with PPE is the first letter and its word.
~
Getting a nickel rich cell with the right sort of electrode material is the kay to rapid charging; they all see the same 3.7-4.2V! 800V is just a easy brochure line, its like 2023s version of 'injection' from the 1990s, same as LFP pulling the no cobalt line but no mention of its lower performance & heavier chemistry means the general public think its the progress rather than a selected path for the product cost.
I'd sign up and pay for an hour's lesson from @Jonnycoupe on EV technology :D

yes (BUT) with the 800V you negotiate with the charger,you are getting current into the car w/o as high resistive losses (so you get to use more of what you payed for),
you are also running that into the motor at a higher voltage I thought, so it can be more efficient
if your 400V car can reconfigure packs after charging, in series, you can obviously generate 800V, for such a motor, but that's additional wiring/switching costs.

CCS is rated to 500A continuous which is really the bottle neck and push for 800V for decent sustained rates, not like the 250kW spike and tail down like the Tesla's with their 400V limitation presently. isolation within the power electronics becomes harder with higher voltage to prevent arcing too so its not a free lunch. Taycan of course does the opposite of what you have described, contactors added for the 150kW option on DC 400V rather than standard 50kW, Splits the 800V pack into two 400V units :D

It will come anyway, 900ish as a cap on passenger cars as per Lucid, anything over 1000V will be for commercial stuff as it requires professional drivers to ensure the appropriate training and license to operate 1kV machinery.

Last edited:
I was waiting of our resident Google search master :) Rain is a big impact. Be good if they could work that one in
I does so they are all good.
CCS is rated to 500A continuous which is really the bottle neck and push for 800V for decent sustained rates, not like the 250kW spike and tail down like the Tesla's with their 400V limitation presently. isolation within the power electronics becomes harder with higher voltage to prevent arcing too so its not a free lunch. Taycan of course does the opposite of what you have described, contactors added for the 150kW option on DC 400V rather than standard 50kW, Splits the 800V pack into two 400V units :D

It will come anyway, 900ish as a cap on passenger cars as per Lucid, anything over 1000V will be for commercial stuff as it requires professional drivers to ensure the appropriate training and license to operate 1kV machinery.
Even when considering all that, it’s fair to say thar the cells are still the main limiting factor on any sensibly sized (E.g. 70-80kwh) battery pack.

Sure, you can go faster and harder but they won’t last very long.

Or in the case of the U.K., the weak link is the grid connection the site have at the moment.

So cars are goign to top out at 800V and 500A forever basically? Or is there scope to go above that without needing special licences to operate machinery...

Chademo Gen3 or ChaoJi is looking at DC of up to 900A but that's an Asian specific market as oppose to CCS. So yeah basically 400kW is a pretty much cap for now - 5 years for UK, EU and USA.

I does so they are all good.

Even when considering all that, it’s fair to say thar the cells are still the main limiting factor on any sensibly sized (E.g. 70-80kwh) battery pack.

To be fair I covered that in the post prior. Current tech around 3C is sensible, things like high silicon dioxide anodes might push it up but 80kWh pack charging around 240kW (hence 3C). etc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom