When are you going fully electric?

The owners Facebook group is in meltdown as well. That said it was pretty obvious a price cut was coming this time. It already happened in China and the USA and there has been big non-price incentives since mid December which expired yesterday. You could have got free enhanced auto pilot, paint colour and 6000 miles free supercharging.

That’s the thing, because of Tesla’s business model, their pricing is transparent to all. You’d absolutely get this in the rest of the market but because the price people pay isn’t transparent, customers just don’t know about it.

The standard range Tesla was never worth anywhere near £50k. You'd have to be crazy to order one at that price.

100% this, I’d never have paid that much for a standard Model 3. It’s still priced higher than I paid just over a year ago. It’s a good car but it’s never £50k good. Their margins are insanely high for a car, well they were, probably just very high now.

Yep, will be 3 years in September.
That’s a crazy price, well played.

To add to the above, it looks like they hiked the interest rate on their finance options to 6.9%. From 3.9 IIRC.

So actually if you are financing the car via Tesla, you’ll be paying not far off the December prices anyway and way more than I paid just over a year ago.
Damn those #legacyauto for sticking to what they do. :cry:

Well yes but see above, all is not what it seems unless you pay cash which basically no one does.

There was always going to be people upset when prices change in either direction. New buyers will be happy because they think they are getting a better deal. If they raised prices new buyers will be annoyed they’ll be paying more while yesterdays buyers will be feeling smug.

BIK is not exactly a big deal though is it? It’s 2% so about £100/year.

That’s the thing, because of Tesla’s business model, their pricing is transparent to all. You’d absolutely get this in the rest of the market but because the price people pay isn’t transparent, customers just don’t know about it.

I wonder if they should allow people to negotiate their price, start with an artificially higher price and those that just don't bother or aren't as aggressive pay more, and those that try harder pay less. Surely that is way more fair? Last time I was at Tesco, they wanted £113.odd at the checkout but I offered them £95 but the checkout assistant wouldn't budge, but told me I had a bargain after only paying £1 for a trolley. :p

The Model Y SR+ (RWD) with the option wheels and premium interior is looking good for £48k, could be tempted as 2nd family EV.

Question to people who know about Tesla's : Is the difference between the SR+ and LR, just the number of motors and battery size, or is the interior/tech spec different too?

Last edited:
The Model Y SR+ (RWD) with the option wheels and premium interior is looking good for £48k, could be tempted as 2nd family EV.

Question to people who know about Tesla's : Is the difference between the SR+ and LR, just the number of motors and battery size, or is the interior/tech spec different too?

Not sure on the Y but on the 3 the SR+ didn't have a subwoofer

how quick do WBAC react

I wonder if they should allow people to negotiate their price, start with an artificially higher price and those that just don't bother or aren't as aggressive pay more, and those that try harder pay less.
only a veneer of price transparency in the usa - how much did tesla sell the job lot to Avis for, equally tesla leasing in the usa are controlling second hand market values by taking back cars at lease end;
upcoming in UK, be interesting to see what deals people disclose on EV purchase prices.

The Y pricing changes makes quite a difference, we felt it was too cheap a feeling car for the dough when we looked, this helps it somewhat though it didn't really have a premium ride quality when we tried, I think they might have revised it though?

Last edited:

The SR doesn’t have front fog lamps from what I can see.

Not sure on the Y but on the 3 the SR+ didn't have a subwoofer

On my model 3 the difference was, motor, battery, front fog lamps, 4 speakers, subwoofer and the lights in the lights in the foot wells. That was over a year ago though so I don’t know if it’s still the case.

Last edited:
Longish video just for the discussion but I think Harry hits the nail on the head with the current situation:

I'm still not completely sold on the idea of an EV. Most likely waiting for a "cheap" trainstation runner whenever they appear

Longish video just for the discussion but I think Harry hits the nail on the head with the current situation:

I'm still not completely sold on the idea of an EV. Most likely waiting for a "cheap" trainstation runner whenever they appear

I watched that yesterday and basically he confirms what the views of most people are on EV's :
  1. They only currently work from a convenience and financial point if you can charge at home.
  2. The majority of your charging can be done at home - i.e. not rely on the public charging network.

It's a no brainier for the people that tick these two points, especially if you're on an EV electric tariff.

The SR doesn’t have front fog lamps from what I can see.

Last edited:
The Y pricing changes makes quite a difference, we felt it was too cheap a feeling car for the dough when we looked, this helps it somewhat though it didn't really have a premium ride quality when we tried, I think they might have revised it though?

That's what we thought when we test drove one. Not very fair as we've been driving an etron for a while, but it was harsh and cheap feeling to say the least.

How are those ‘no depreciation’ maths looking now for the Tesla owners I wonder
It was never going to last. EV used car market especially has been in a bubble but people start to think it's normal and will continue.

Tesla I think will continue to do well longer term but in the near term the super faster growth over recent years I think may bite them. E.M's "Build them and buyers will come" mantra might come a cropper for a while, in a higher interest rate global economy possibly in or entering recession.

Last edited:

I disagree with his take on the December figures. It was largely driven by Tesla who deliver all their cars in Europe from China at the end of the qtr.

I agree with his take on home charging, that is ultimately what makes it work for most people at the moment. Also on government policy on incentives, it’s been focused in the wrong place for a long time. It needed to transition to infrastructure from purchase a long time ago.

I’ve always said destination charging/charging when the car is parked doing nothing is the key to this whole transition. Rapid charger utilisation would drop significantly if slow AC charging was available everywhere.

There's starting to be a problem with used EV prices

Basically 2/3 or company cars are BEV now due to BIK tax breaks causing a flood in the used market, with no incentives for private buyers. Good for us who don't have company cars and buy used privately lol

Good timing for me. In the market for a new car. Been looking a petrol estate/hatch for family duties and commuting (budget of about £25k) but I'm self employed through my Ltd Company so EV are a good option. Unfortunately I didn't really feel any offered much value for money or got me excited but given the corporation tax savings a poverty spec Model Y is tempting and allows me to use my company profits.

Back
Top Bottom