When are you going fully electric?

I had an e-208

If you gave it a week you’d find a bit more modulation in your foot

Like trying left foot braking I think I am tapping the brake slightly but it jerks me forward because I just don’t have the feel.
Next you'll say one pedal driving can be done with modulation too lol.

Eco modes in EVs don't really do a lot that can't be managed with some foot control.

Also set and forget the AC, it just works, especially now I've set the auto fan speed to low.

Wipers are a lot better than they used to be, on par with other manufacturers. BUT sometimes I really miss the ability to tweak sensitivity, just like you need to with other manufacturers.

Eco mode in mine splits power 30:70 rather than 10:90 to warm up the front EDU oil faster and lower its viscosity, lowers the duty of the compressor and heating for a trade in cabin comfort, softens throttle response and turns off seat heating etc.

So basically more than an ICE...

The Kona's drive modes change only throttle map, effectively. As someone just said above, it won't save electricity as it's just a case of how fast you're accelerating. You just have to press the pedal more/less in each mode to get to that amount of acceleration. ECO is very dull, normal mode seems like it has a linear response, and sport is pretty hot, but not enough that you couldn't get used to it after half an hour.

ECO mode does also have the climate run in a sort of "reduced power" mode, but this can be turned off in the car menus.

Also set and forget the AC, it just works, especially now I've set the auto fan speed to low.

Ah yes I forgot about that change. I stuck it on low and it’s spot on. The old auto setting did have a tendency to air on the side of more fans.

I’ve found the automatic heated seats excellent since that was implemented, I’ve just had them in auto all winter and they have been very comfortable.

Cupra born.

Eco mode slows the accel on the active cruise. So will accel from 40 to 60 more gently. it kills throttle response which is almost dangerous when you pull out and forget as to get full power you have to hit the kick down switch. Also cruise won’t let you go above 80 (weird one really).

Haven’t noticed much else. As said already. nothing like the ipace. So don’t bother with it.

Performance mode makes steering better and more lift off regen even in D mode which is better for when you are giving it a bit - all rather pointless experience anyway :p (B is the max regen). Other mode is comfort and individual where I can chose all the separate things.

All pointless as it resets every time you get in the car. Unlike my M3 which remembers it all and is also key specific

For all those trailing up and down the A1, I spotted a new charging hub going in at Grantham services. It’s Moto so I’m guessing 6+ 350kw gridserve units to go alongside the existing 16 V2 super chargers. The services themselves are an utter dive though!

Tesla also has the site on its coming soon map last year so perhaps an expansion or a much needed upgrade to the existing V2 units is in the works.

I kind of feel bad for the 5 non Tesla’s crowded round the two existing 50kw gridserve units as I passed through last night. They would have been there awhile and is a few other options around directly off the A1.

Just 10 miles down the road is 4 50kw instavolts and 20 miles up the road is 4 150kw shell recharge, 2 120kw instavolt, 2 50kw instavolts and a token 50kw BP pulse.

Also cruise won’t let you go above 80 (weird one really).
Not really wehen our speed limit is 70 in the UK. Also, if the Born is the same as the ID3 then eco mode is not in the slightest dangerous when you pull out unless you are pulling out in a dangerous manner.

Not really wehen our speed limit is 70 in the UK. Also, if the Born is the same as the ID3 then eco mode is not in the slightest dangerous when you pull out unless you are pulling out in a dangerous manner.
That’s why eco mode having a speed above the speed limit is odd.

It caught me out the other day as I forgot. Soz

Last edited:
I presume the e-208 ECO mode is the same as the one in the corsa-e. If so, ECO makes a huge difference to throttle response but not enough to efficiency. I'm sure it's user error as I just end up mashing the throttle even more.

It definitely changed the air con too, as the car mists up much easier in ECO mode.

Must admit, my car forgetting what I'd actually like to have in way of personal settings for drive modes etc every time it's started is one element I'm definitely not looking forward to.

I guess there has to be some common reason behind it given the number of cars that do the same thing, but it seems like a huge oversight

Must admit, my car forgetting what I'd actually like to have in way of personal settings for drive modes etc every time it's started is one element I'm definitely not looking forward to.

I guess there has to be some common reason behind it given the number of cars that do the same thing, but it seems like a huge oversight
I think it's WLTP related

I guess in that case what most are missing is a saved user preference accessible by one click or a single voice command (maybe some do have this in fairness) to save tweaking individual elements every time

Last edited:
For all those trailing up and down the A1, I spotted a new charging hub going in at Grantham services. It’s Moto so I’m guessing 6+ 350kw gridserve units to go alongside the existing 16 V2 super chargers. The services themselves are an utter dive though!

Tesla also has the site on its coming soon map last year so perhaps an expansion or a much needed upgrade to the existing V2 units is in the works.

I kind of feel bad for the 5 non Tesla’s crowded round the two existing 50kw gridserve units as I passed through last night. They would have been there awhile and is a few other options around directly off the A1.

Just 10 miles down the road is 4 50kw instavolts and 20 miles up the road is 4 150kw shell recharge, 2 120kw instavolt, 2 50kw instavolts and a token 50kw BP pulse.
It is demonstrations of knowledge like this that makes me want to burn my EV.

It is demonstrations of knowledge like this that makes me want to burn my EV.

If you spend as much time as me trawling up and down the A1 and A14 as I do then I’m sure you’d pick up the knowledge as well.

I only know they are there because you can either see them from the road or I’ve stopped there for some reason (usually for the loo). The shell chargers are next to KFC and the instavolts are next to McDonald’s. The loos in the fast food places are much better than the skank you’ll find in the petrol stations ;). The tesla chargers are in the nav and I have actually used them.

I didn’t need to charge when I stopped on Friday, I just really needed the loo having been in a restaurant with bottomless soft drinks an hour before and I wanted to get my moneys worth :D

I couldn’t tell you where any are on the M1 for instance as I seldom have a reason to use it.

Last edited:

The starting price for Tesla’s locally built Model Y sport utility vehicle has dropped 10% to a new low of 259,900 yuan ($37,875), according to the company’s China website. That standard-range, rear-wheel-drive
version costs 43% less than the base Model Y available in the US, which has a longer range and is all-wheel-drive. Tesla also lowered the price of the Model 3 by 14% to 229,900 yuan, about 30% cheaper than in the US.
need a bit more competition in the UK too, guess they can't divert production lines to UK models and USA line is being rejigged for Biden grant conformity, but,
they have tesla showrooms in China, it seems - for the protesting owners who bought at old price.

vw id7/aero saloon/estate (nice) further announce - seems to be disappointingly long @4.9m https://www.goingelectric.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=891&t=84160&start=10
3.2.1 ...

Last edited:
It's not really $38k though is it? That does not include fees, taxes or taxes in China. Bring that into the UK and you also need to add import tariffs and shipping half way across the world to the UK. That base price would translate to being at least £42k landed in the UK which happens to be the price when I bought mine just over a year ago, they still made good money on it then and probably will now.

The average margin on theirs cars is something like $15k at the moment. For a car like a Model 3/Y, thats an enormous margin and there is plenty of room for that to come down without causing any issues what so ever for the sustainability of the company. The current prices being charged for certain things is as much about managing demand as it is creaming off as much profit as possible while they can.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom