When are you going fully electric?

I will definitely switch to Octopus but I am currently receiving £750 of free financing from EON :D

I'll wait until my final £66 has been paid and taken a chunk out of what I owe them....

Were you planning on finishing this sentence?
you normally finish my sentences for me - that's why I've ended posts 3.2.1;
audi are building more renumerative e-trons than id4s? I thought jaguar had a similar strategy, but did not mention it as I knew you'd have ms response
reactions perhaps not as fast as those soliciting for referral opportunities in the energy thread.

---------

autotrader comments interesting - there are, indeed, a glut of £20K mg5's and 40K EQA's

More broadly, the drop in average used EV prices is being driven by the huge overbalance of supply in the market. Whilst demand[8] levels for used EVs on Auto Trader remain stable – up circa 40% YoY – the rate of stock growth has rocketed, with current supply up 303% YoY. Auto Trader’s data, which is based on the broadest single view of electric vehicles in the market, shows this trend at a more granular level: so far this month, the volume of used Mercedes-Benz EQA in the market has increased 823% YoY (demand +71.9%), whilst the number of MG MG5s (demand +56.5%) and Vauxhall Mokka-e’s (demand 77.5%) have increased 918%, and 958% respectively.

Anyone have any creative (read "cheap") ideas for charge scheduling an old shape MG5?

Seems like there are plenty around at the moment and given the price drops was considering cancelling my Niro order on salary sacrifice and buying one instead, however I just found out they don't have any way of delaying/scheduling the charging, which seems a massive oversight and makes them pretty pointless if you're on a cheap time-of-use tariff such as Go. Even the Zoe & Leaf had that functionality 10 years ago!

Failing that, a 62kWh Leaf is looking like a potential option right now, except for concerns about the obsolete charging tech :(

Last edited:
Anyone have any creative (read "cheap") ideas for charge scheduling an old shape MG5?

Seems like there are plenty around at the moment and given the price drops was considering cancelling my Niro order on salary sacrifice and buying one instead, however I just found out they don't have any way of delaying/scheduling the charging, which seems a massive oversight and makes them pretty pointless if you're on a cheap time-of-use tariff such as Go. Even the Zoe & Leaf had that functionality 10 years ago!

Failing that, a 62kWh Leaf is looking like a potential option right now, except for concerns about the obsolete charging tech :(
What charger do you have? - you can set schedules on most of them now.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...et/894pg#product_additional_details_container + Granny charger.

Alternatively, a PodPoint 3 from eBay is about 300 quid. Finding someone to fit it without $lol tax may be an issue but they are about (a lad quoted me £150 to install, excl materials - but part of a bigger consumer unit swap out job).

Last edited:
I have one of the old BP Chargemaster ones (the ugly white oval) - socketed rather than tethered, so no smart functionality at all

https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-...et/894pg#product_additional_details_container + Granny charger.

Alternatively, a PodPoint 3 from eBay is about 300 quid. Finding someone to fit it without $lol tax may be an issue but they are about (a lad quoted me £150 to install, excl materials - but part of a bigger consumer unit swap out job).

Granny cable is too slow, and for PodPoint money I might as well just pick up an Ohme cable (assuming I can't swap the charger myself even with all the wiring already in place?)

I have one of the old BP Chargemaster ones (the ugly white oval) - socketed rather than tethered, so no smart functionality at all

Granny cable is too slow, and for PodPoint money I might as well just pick up an Ohme cable (assuming I can't swap the charger myself even with all the wiring already in place?)
Swap it for something else. If it’s already installed, I’m pretty sure you can just swap it yourself (assuming it’s like for like E.g. it has built in DC and pen fault protection).

It’s no harder than wiring a plug in reality, just hope the original installer left enough cable slack inside the unit itself.

On a similar topic to the above, which is the best work salary sacrifice EV scheme?

Family member is starting a new role, and they've asked the question about having an EV. Currently, said company doesn't have an EV scheme, but have tasked them in finding one.

Wondering if anyone has any good/bad experience with the various schemes available?

Cheers

I'd looked at the octopus tariffs while you get a cheap night rate the day rate was like 45p+ a unit so if you were doing moderate miles you'd probably be better off just staying on the price cap and charging up with a granny lead whenever you needed?

Do you have a smart meter? If so, there are apps which will check this for you, e.g. Octopus Compare on Android.

Go is cheaper for us, and that's with us using a granny cable (meaning charges regularly run over the cheap period). I suspect your mileage would have to be very low or your daytime electricity usage very high (e.g. hot tub) for Go to be more expensive.

Intelligent Octopus shows up as cheaper for me though. Now I've upgraded from a 24kWh Leaf (with the 3.3kW onboard charger) to a 40kWh Leaf, I'm looking at getting an Ohme or a Zappi (Intelligent support coming in May) fitted.

Do you have a smart meter? If so, there are apps which will check this for you, e.g. Octopus Compare on Android.

Go is cheaper for us, and that's with us using a granny cable (meaning charges regularly run over the cheap period). I suspect your mileage would have to be very low or your daytime electricity usage very high (e.g. hot tub) for Go to be more expensive.

Intelligent Octopus shows up as cheaper for me though. Now I've upgraded from a 24kWh Leaf (with the 3.3kW onboard charger) to a 40kWh Leaf, I'm looking at getting an Ohme or a Zappi (Intelligent support coming in May) fitted.

We do have a smart meter, i'd not heard of that app before but just installed it now. Very interesting indeed!

Yes, that is who my company use and who I have ordered my ID4 through the salary sacrifice scheme.
How much is the gross deduction/BIK on the ID4 please? Trying to judge what the prices are compared to something like the Octopus scheme. Also, what’s the lead time on the ID4 you’ve ordered? Cheers!

How much is the gross deduction/BIK on the ID4 please? Trying to judge what the prices are compared to something like the Octopus scheme. Also, what’s the lead time on the ID4 you’ve ordered? Cheers!
I went for the 77kwh Life Pro version, ordered in January and delivery is mooted for December. Prices have risen since I ordered mine though a month ago.
Gross deduction now (40% tax payer) is £718 for 16k miles per annum and BIK is £35.47 per month.

They are getting to almost sensible values

MY21 IPace HSE for ~£40k with the £3.8k deposit contribution, 2 years servicing and warranty doesn't seem too bad

Would still prefer an e-tron 55 personally :p

Back
Top Bottom