When are you going fully electric?

VW MEB plug and charge works now on IONITY through both the official app(Elli), but also on Electroverse. No need to do anything just plug in

Love the car but to me no physical buttons or stalks is a massive mistake done to just make the car look/feel different. It isnt better.
Agree. For a brand that supposedly blazes the trail on improving safety, they’ve taken a huge backwards leap. Touchscreen interfaces require the driver to take their eyes off the road and divert their attention to the UI to perform any task. Physical buttons don’t require the same level of distraction and are arguably much safer. It’s in the Ladybird book of ergonomics and human factors. I’m surprised Volvo have embraced it.

I have a 2018 Volvo which has some physical buttons, but changing the seat or steering wheel heat or any of the HVAC requires the driver to focus on the screen and tap small catchment areas which is difficult to do on an uneven road. Pain in the ass.

The EX90 was looking promising as the replacement of my current car but now I’m not so sure. It depends what the competition can offer.

Yup Volvo definitely making a lot of user interface mistakes, particularly on the small screen of current cars and removal of mode buttons etc. really poor choices, locking the drive modes behind 2-3 clicks of the the small screen, some one needs a good smack in the face!!!! the bottom bar is smaller in Google models than it is in older Sensus, muppets

Fortunately the seat/steering heat and HVAC all work flawlessly off of voice though so it is not as bad as it could be.

Perhaps the GUI will work better on the bigger screen but as their GUI designer doesn't seem to have a clue on how to effectively use a 9" screen (there is plenty of space, just poorly utilized) I can't see them using the additional any better and in fact looking at the pictures it still has small hit points, may as well be 9"

Last edited:
Article on fifth gear yesterday on re-map of a 330e -> +100hp = 392hp, and raced it against an M2 comp, albeit, you void your warranty,
not a full ev, but interesting that 3rd parties interfacing with the electric motor, I'd thought control system might be more encrypted/protected
(Maybe remap is the type where you send control unit false readings from sensors, as opposed to over-writing ecu.)

saying that, another article was saying clocking on ev's is not uncommon, eu regulations are supposed to be making moden cars more impregnable.

Mrs has arranged a weekend down in Ross-on-Wye for us, so this will be the first journey where I'm going to need public charging! Not looking forward to it really.

Mrs has arranged a weekend down in Ross-on-Wye for us, so this will be the first journey where I'm going to need public charging! Not looking forward to it really.
:eek: good luck, pretty sparse in that area and the ones at morrissons are out of service (yesterday):o

Edde cross carpark seems to be your only 1 available working site! (And only one unit) but it is contactless..
79p/kWh though :eek:

:eek: good luck, pretty sparse in that area and the ones at morrissons are out of service (yesterday):o

Edde cross carpark seems to be your only 1 available working site! (And only one unit) but it is contactless..
79p/kWh though :eek:
Yea....

We do Leeds and back sometimes which is a 150 mile round trip, and usually do that on just over 55% of a battery, although admittedly the last bits of the journey are around towns.

Liverpool to ROW is 150 each way. So I may have enough to get away from ROW a little and go somewhere else on the way back.

Take a cable extension reel and Run your granny cable out the window of your apartment / flat / hotel to where you parked it :D

Edit*
If you're walking up Symonds yat then stop off at old court hotels rapid on the way down from ross.

Last edited:
Take a cable extension reel and Run your granny cable out the window of your apartment / flat / hotel to where you parked it :D

Edit*
If you're walking up Symonds yat then stop off at old court hotels rapid on the way down from ross.
Nah, we’re staying with someone in an old house. Not only would I not want to try their electrics, it is beyond cheeky to expect to be able to charge my car up at someone else’s house.

EDIT: not sure of the plan yet but I’ll keep that in mind. May just stop off on the way down for 20 minutes somewhere and see how we fare.

Honestly, hate that I need to plan so much. I knew I was entering a nerdy, early-adopter lifestyle when I got the Kona but meh…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom