When are you going fully electric?

These ones aren’t smart are they so can’t be officially installed.
They all state wireless/WiFi --- and there is enough of them showing up with positive feedback being left? I did ask someone FB Marketplace what the crack was, given it is WiFi it'd likely report serial number etc... They then ignored me...

That’s not smart. Just means you can connect with an app

But they are solo3. Prob fell off a lorry
I don't know what you mean by smart then?

I imagined they were off of a lorry too but it is very regionally distributed... a lad in St Ives gets plenty and a lad in Sheffield!

Please don't compare a high power commando to a 3 pin with a dedicated control unit and thermal management.
Something I should have made clearer at the start I guess... The dedicated control unit with thermal managment is in the charger you PLUG IN to the commando socket.

Most granny cables are limited so don't pull the full current from the line, but if it's an old house than pre-dates many of the modern regs and hasn't been rewired I'd certainly be concerned with long term high current drain, our old condenser drier used to pull ~3kw and the heat I could feel build up around the plug was a concern after only a couple of hours, I was never that happy, I certainly wouldn't want to go to sleep/or leave unattended with something like a car pulling high current for hours through decades old wiring without having it checked to ensure it's good for it but perhaps I'm too cautious.

Grand scheme of things a properly fitted EV point at £500-1k is peanuts really and so much more convenient than a house fire.

Yeah my granny cable on the PHEV only pulls 10a. I was getting quoted £1500 for my install, i think as PHEVS and BEVS start falling into the used markets, you will see a lot more ropey installs.

I must admit my Podpoint was a used tethered charger, its served me well for the last 3 years, I used a common and garden sparky to do the install, my cost including a new Hagar RCBO CU & outdoor socket upgrade was 750.

I had a rather cheeky email from Bonnet asking me to give them money (aka crowd funding) and didn't even bother to explain why they needed the extra money. I guess they have finally burnt through their ~£5m VC money

Does anyone actually still use it since they completely switched their business model? Can't say I have even opened the app, I just don't see the point in the service unless you use public chargers all the time which very few people actually do.

Last edited:
Not sure but there were ~630K BEV's on the roads by the end of 2022, vs ~97k at the end of 2019.

ZapMap has a couple of statistics here, but I suppose it's difficult to make a ratio because which stat do you base it on? Devices, connectors?

If we just go on devices, they have about 17k devices at the end of 2019, or about 5.7 cars per device, then end of 2022 is about 37k devices, or about 17 cars per device. This is definitely not the direction we need that ratio heading :(

Last edited:
Yeah my granny cable on the PHEV only pulls 10a. I was getting quoted £1500 for my install, i think as PHEVS and BEVS start falling into the used markets, you will see a lot more ropey installs.

I must admit my Podpoint was a used tethered charger, its served me well for the last 3 years, I used a common and garden sparky to do the install, my cost including a new Hagar RCBO CU & outdoor socket upgrade was 750.

I think it'll be interesting going forward as you say now the market is starting to be flooded with used EV's coming off lease.

If someone was to pick up a used Ioniq or e UP! or whatever for say 10 or 12k in 6 months time, do you think people will be happy to spend 10% of the purchase price of the car on a charger, i bet a lot of people wont.

It's a different story to the guy getting a 50k car on salary sacrifice, what's a grand here and there to someone in that position? but the regular person who's used to spending 10k on a used car will be counting the pennies much morel, i'd expect to see lots of 'hacks' and threads on reddit on how to do it on the cheap.

I think it'll be interesting going forward as you say now the market is starting to be flooded with used EV's coming off lease.

If someone was to pick up a used Ioniq or e UP! or whatever for say 10 or 12k in 6 months time, do you think people will be happy to spend 10% of the purchase price of the car on a charger, i bet a lot of people wont.

It's a different story to the guy getting a 50k car on salary sacrifice, what's a grand here and there to someone in that position? but the regular person who's used to spending 10k on a used car will be counting the pennies much morel, i'd expect to see lots of 'hacks' and threads on reddit on how to do it on the cheap.
We may see a lot of car dealers rolling in a charge point install into the finance deal that'll inevitably be used to buy the car.

ZapMap has a couple of statistics here, but I suppose it's difficult to make a ratio because which stat do you base it on? Devices, connectors?

If we just go on devices, they have about 17k devices at the end of 2019, or about 5.7 cars per device, then end of 2022 is about 37k devices, or about 17 cars per device. This is definitely not the direction we need that ratio heading :(
But in 2019 the devices were barely used and losing money hand over fist

There's a balance in there somewhere though. Tons of rapid chargers going in as Gridserve, Instavolt, BP, Shell, MFG and even Tesla all dropping in thousands over the next few years

The type of chargers and their location also matters.
True. If you look at the ZapMap stats, looking at only Rapid (25-99kW) and Ultra-Rapid (100kW+) makes things a lot worse - 2019 is 33.5 cars per device, 2022 is 91.3 cars per device. This is not even taking into account location, nor the fact of how many of those devices are actually in service (or how many vehicles they can charge).

It'd get rationalized away as part of the purchase/running costs, you can't save upto 50% of the running costs of ICE if you can't charge it at home, there is no saving to be had on public chargers.

Last edited:
True. If you look at the ZapMap stats, looking at only Rapid (25-99kW) and Ultra-Rapid (100kW+) makes things a lot worse - 2019 is 33.5 cars per device, 2022 is 91.3 cars per device. This is not even taking into account location, nor the fact of how many of those devices are actually in service (or how many vehicles they can charge).

What does good look like though?

I drove up to Scotland and back 2 weeks ago using the super charger network and of the 4 charging stops I made, 2 of them I was completely alone at both a 6 (open to all) and 8 stall location.

At the 16 stall location I visited on the way there and back there were 3-4 other cars on both occasions.

Edit: I don’t think we are at saturation on the rapid network yet, there are most definitely pinch points like the top of the M6 and the top half of the M25, but there also seems to be a lot of capacity going unused in other areas.

Last edited:
What does good look like though?

I drove up to Scotland and back 2 weeks ago using the super charger network and of the 4 charging stops I made, 2 of them I was completely alone at both a 6 (open to all) and 8 stall location.

At the 16 stall location I visited on the way there and back there were 3-4 other cars on both occasions.

Edit: I don’t think we are at saturation on the rapid network yet, there are most definitely pinch points like the top of the M6 and the top half of the M25, but there also seems to be a lot of capacity going unused in other areas.
See, you've said supercharger - are you in a Tesla? Or using a pleb car on open Tesla superchargers? Tesla are a massive outlier, because of both their charger/car/ecosystem integration, and the fact they generally install "proper" sites with multiple chargers. A lot of others are just one or two devices.

Back
Top Bottom