When are you going fully electric?

See, you've said supercharger - are you in a Tesla? Or using a pleb car on open Tesla superchargers? Tesla are a massive outlier, because of both their charger/car/ecosystem integration, and the fact they generally install "proper" sites with multiple chargers. A lot of others are just one or two devices.
Keep up, other sites are often 6-12 chargers now

2023 does feel the year of real change. Even the Osprey pub sites are putting 3x 75kW units in rather than a single 50kW. Demand is there to justify investment and supply chains getting back up to speed is really encouraging. InstaVolt doing hubs too, ie 6 units at a Costa Just off M5 J22.

I think summer I’ll get a subscription for Telsa to allow use across Europe into Italy. Anyone done similar? It’s Tesla, Ionity or maybe even Elli.

Keep up, other sites are often 6-12 chargers now
Fair enough.

As for the question from @b0rn2sk8 , I'd consider the situation "good" when you can make any journey, and pull into any charging point and be on it either instantly (or within a minute or two). I'm really trying to get a feel for how public charging is going, as I'll need to be confident it's going well from 2024-2027 for when my Kona comes out of lease. At the moment, I'd either have to switch to a Tesla or go back to ICE to avoid some (or all) the faff - and yes, I'm aware the faff is self-inflicted by getting a BEV when it's still very clearly in the nerdy, early adopter stage.

If you're doing motorways it'll be fine by then. The problem is going to be quite remote rural areas (bit like 4G/5G where there's not much incentive for private companies to take a bath on loss making areas)

If you're doing motorways it'll be fine by then. The problem is going to be quite remote rural areas (bit like 4G/5G where there's not much incentive for private companies to take a bath on loss making areas)
But are we saying fine by 2024, or fine by 2027? Because if it's fine by 2027, then I'll strongly consider ICE for that lease period, knowing I can go back to an EV come 2027. But if you think it'll be fine by 2024 then yes I can still consider an EV for that period.

See, you've said supercharger - are you in a Tesla? Or using a pleb car on open Tesla superchargers? Tesla are a massive outlier, because of both their charger/car/ecosystem integration, and the fact they generally install "proper" sites with multiple chargers. A lot of others are just one or two devices.
I have a Model 3 and yes they have always installed hubs but on the flip side there is a a hell of a lot of Tesla’s out there and their network is not expanding anywhere near as quickly as their sales are. There are way more non-tesla hubs out there theses days, many of which are in far better locations than the closest tesla site.

For example, we probably will not see the expansion of tesla chargers at any welcome break services going forward. Apple green want to deploy their own chargers and lock others out. That means if tesla want a site in that area, they’ll have to secure a nearby but slightly off motorway location.

Their second site in Stoke or the new Newark site are good examples of what that looks like. Sometimes it’s fine, sometimes the diversion is not ideal.

The main advantage of a tesla site for a tesla owner at the moment is price (as low as 39p/kWh) and the nav actually taking into account charger availability and speed when it’s deciding on stops.

Last edited:
Have I imagined it or have used EV prices dropped a lot lately?

Model 3 Performance down at £30-35k~

iPace similar, and the eTron.

Have I imagined it or have used EV prices dropped a lot lately?

Model 3 Performance down at £30-35k~

iPace similar, and the eTron.

Yep, but gluts of EV's are coming off the 2 and 3 year lease deals and are flooding the market. Autotrader did an article saying that while demand is up 30-50% year on year supply is something like 800% higher on some models at the moment.

High electricity prices are not helping the used market grow as quickly as it could at the moment. Particularly when the price of pre too and diesel is coming down from historic highs.

Last edited:

ZapMap has a couple of statistics here, but I suppose it's difficult to make a ratio because which stat do you base it on? Devices, connectors?

If we just go on devices, they have about 17k devices at the end of 2019, or about 5.7 cars per device, then end of 2022 is about 37k devices, or about 17 cars per device. This is definitely not the direction we need that ratio heading :(

Thats the Uk for you though. Bring in a law saying all cars have to be electric by a certain date and then leave it to the private sector as to whether there is enough charging points around the country.

Last edited:
Thats the Uk for you though. Bring in a law saying all cars have to be electric by a certain date and then leave it to the private sector as to whether there is enough charging points around the country.

There are plenty of criticisms that could be levied at the government but I don’t think that is one of them. No other European country that I am aware of has a state funded/controlled rapid charging network. Well apart from Scotland and let’s be honest, it’s better than nothing but it’s not great.

Ionity had some public funding but ultimately it’s also privately owned and operated.

Charging around here seems to be on the decline rather than improving - quite a few chargers have disappeared despite the blue bays still being there, some others bizarrely the marked bays have been there 2+ years but still no physical infrastructure.

Pod point 3 but make sure you really need one as it's a grand installed version a 3 pin plug (200 quid).
Speed of charging is a main factor, 7kW would fully charge overnight, 50kWh battery on the car I'm looking at, whereas a 3 pin plug would take 3 times longer at 2.3kW. Also, is it safe to leave a car charging overnight just off a 3 pin plug?

Been looking at getting an ev but will need a charger at home. What's the preferred one?
The one that fits your needs best, look at the features you want and may want in the near future. A charger will/should last 10+ years without issue so think long term, will you move house, or maybe you'll want to integrate it to use solar PV if you have it, or get it later down the line? Zappi, HyperVolt, Ohme Pro, etc. Just do some research to give yourself a good overview of what is out there. :)

JLR r4pm article from JLR production line yesterday evan davis on their reimagine strategy to become a bently'esque/RR supplier with high margin, custom tailored cars, off of the production line,
they/TATA sound like some blackmailing of UK government for UK battery investment; lot's of UK production line/R&D jobs,but, are the profits being bled off to India.
All too similar to ARM situation, & nothing to do with the B word.

The one that fits your needs best, look at the features you want and may want in the near future. A charger will/should last 10+ years without issue so think long term, will you move house, or maybe you'll want to integrate it to use solar PV if you have it, or get it later down the line? Zappi, HyperVolt, Ohme Pro, etc. Just do some research to give yourself a good overview of what is out there. :)

This basically. My two cents is that I’d get a tethered charger is what to go for but you might prefer not to have the cable clutter and don’t mind getting the cable out every day.

Otherwise it probably comes down to if you need solar compatibility or not and looks vs price. Everything else is a much of a muchness and every man and his dog seem to be getting into the market at the moment.

Few examples:

Zappi is a great whole home solution for solar and hot water diversion but it looks like a toilet seat.

Hypervolt is fine if you just want solar compatibility or like the look of the unit and it isn’t too pricey.

Simpson and Anderson both look fantastic but you’ll paying a lot for the privilege.

Last edited:
Speed of charging is a main factor, 7kW would fully charge overnight, 50kWh battery on the car I'm looking at, whereas a 3 pin plug would take 3 times longer at 2.3kW. Also, is it safe to leave a car charging overnight just off a 3 pin plug?

You can do it and it will probably be fine but there is a higher risk you’ll melt something. I’ve seen a lot more melted sockets from granny chargers than I have wall boxes but it that way.

It only takes one weak link to cause a problem and the weak link is usually the plug socket. New sockets are fine and reduce that risk but they wear out over time and they will probably melt eventually.

The other thing to think about is time of use tariffs, it’s much harder to take advantage of short periods overnight which are the cheap rate if you can’t get the power into the car in that window.

Back
Top Bottom