When are you going fully electric?

Tesla vision is currently useless.
This video shows some tests - Vision vs Sensors. [Richard Symons - Tesla trader for 10 years].

The Vision can’t see some objects behind/in front of the car

Vision - Here the car drives up to the bin and nothing on the display or no audio warnings.

52785293228_d976575359_c.jpg

Vision - Here the car backs up to the bin with no warning, shows the car parked alongside wedged into the back of the Tesla, but with 24inches of space still available.

52785293243_c4eeb5cf2e_c.jpg

Last edited:
hadn't seen regular press mention green day, proposed uk ev selling targets (so will stallentis/vw knock a significant lump off of ev prices)
At least 22 per cent of the cars manufacturers sell next year will have to be electric – or they could face fines of up to £15,000 per car they miss their target by.
That’s if the latest government proposals get the go ahead. Ministers have today announced proposed new targets as part of a major green agenda which details tough goals and punitive measures for car makers.

their article on cazoo Bn losses and used ev sales strategy (dealers re-engaging) inteteresting too

Tesla vision is currently useless.
This video shows some tests - Vision vs Sensors. [Richard Symons - Tesla trader for 10 years].

The Vision can’t see some objects behind/in front of the car

Vision - Here the car drives up to the bin and nothing on the display or no audio warnings.

52785293228_d976575359_c.jpg

Vision - Here the car backs up to the bin with no warning, shows the car parked alongside wedged into the back of the Tesla, but with 24inches of space still available.

52785293243_c4eeb5cf2e_c.jpg
When EM doubles down on not using LIDAR

Standard car sensors are enough, most cars for the decades have been able to do this stuff just fine, you don't even need LIDAR, (though I recommend everyone buy LIDAR, help keep me off the streets :p :D )

Last edited:
More time spent with the Tesla Y now...

Positives -
In Car, App Experience, Phone as key etc just miles ahead of my polestar
Charging experience has been much better, never had a failed handshake yet, consistently has reached the advertised charging speeds after battery pre warming en-route
My wife likes it better
I really like the drive mode changes with the right stalk instead of a gear leaver, it just feels so natural now

Negatives -
Auto Rain sensors aren't as sensitive as I would like - find myself having to hit the button on the end of the stalk to get a clear windscreen
I don't think the seat is as comfortable as the polestar and doesn't have the same lumbar adjustment as the polestar - it's decent enough, but done a few 2 hour drives lately and I think the polestar was more comfortable
I miss the speed, but thats a configuration choice I guess
Headlights aren't as good, or rather, the auto beams / part masked beams on the polestar were miles ahead

Price change on the BP Pulse network again by the looks of it, no idea if it's gone up or down but the fact they don't actually say, I suspect it's up..

XEsuxxA.png

Going to 79p/kWh when the wholesale price at the moment has come well down feels like daylight robbery!
So at roughly 80p/kWh, that’s 4 miles for 80p in an EV. A gallon of fuel average around 700p so that’s equal to about 8.75 kWh at cost … so about 35miles to the gallon cost …. Can’t really see that as being cheaper than a typical fuel burner ????

So at roughly 80p/kWh, that’s 4 miles for 80p in an EV. A gallon of fuel average around 700p so that’s equal to about 8.75 kWh at cost … so about 35miles to the gallon cost …. Can’t really see that as being cheaper than a typical fuel burner ????
It’s not if you pay 80p/kWh for all your electricity but who does that?

The reality is most EV owners pay 10-12p for most of their electricity and 80p for less than 15% of it.

Even if you are on the price cap, it’s less than half that. That said the price difference is not as significant as it once was.

Yep, the comparison using only public charging cost is very unfair. That said, I'm sure there's some people who would buy an EV when they can't have home charging and then complain how expensive it is!

The energy crisis has acclimatised us to high public charger pricing, with new arguments thought up to make it easier to bare, e.g. "It's only a small percentage of charging, so it makes little difference to ownership costs".

Can pretty much guarantee that the days of 20-30p per kWh rapid chargers are over now. The norm might be 50-60p if electricity costs return to normal.

The energy crisis has acclimatised us to high public charger pricing, with new arguments thought up to make it easier to bare, e.g. "It's only a small percentage of charging, so it makes little difference to ownership costs".

Can pretty much guarantee that the days of 20-30p per kWh rapid chargers are over now. The norm might be 50-60p if electricity costs return to normal.
Devil's advocate but I guess the level of investment needed in the infra, something had to give. The expectation you can charge at a rapid for the same cost (or less) than as at home may have been a poorly managed one.

Yep, the comparison using only public charging cost is very unfair. That said, I'm sure there's some people who would buy an EV when they can't have home charging and then complain how expensive it is!
The other poorly managed expectation was that everyone should switchover and those who can't have home chargers now have even trickier maths than before.

Devil's advocate but I guess the level of investment needed in the infra, something had to give. The expectation you can charge at a rapid for the same cost (or less) than as at home may have been a poorly managed one.

Yeah, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Just amusing. Remember the backlash to Ionity's pricing when they started?

It does mean EVs don't really offer a running cost saving if you can't charge at home though.

Last edited:
Whilst the pricing on public chargers is high it is still generally the price of the EV that ruins the comparisons even when charging at home as fueling up is only one part of the cost equation.

Whenever I've done costings for my car ownership an ICE still comes out on top but then I am not taking advantage of EV schemes as I don't have access to them and I don't do Mega mileage so even at 7.5p/unit you don't really make that back in a time frame worth talking about unless all you car about is the monthly amount over what things actually cost you.

I just have to buy one because I want it and leave the money side of things out of the equation.

Whilst the pricing on public chargers is high it is still generally the price of the EV that ruins the comparisons even when charging at home as fueling up is only one part of the cost equation.

Whenever I've done costings for my car ownership an ICE still comes out on top but then I am not taking advantage of EV schemes as I don't have access to them and I don't do Mega mileage so even at 7.5p/unit you don't really make that back in a time frame worth talking about unless all you car about is the monthly amount over what things actually cost you.

I just have to buy one because I want it and leave the money side of things out of the equation.
Tbh new cars in general fail the money equation more often than not :cry:

Back
Top Bottom