When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
Issue is from Oct, av uk day rate will be more like 58p per kwh so almost 20p per mile, same as fuel and fuel is currently dropping week by week (paid £1.68 for petrol and £1.179 for diesel today (2 different cars)

So except for night charging, EVs will soon cost more if you day charge or use public chargers
Using an EV on purely off-peak rates just needs some planning ahead of time.
Of course, if you are daily driving more than you can put in overnight- about 25 to 26 kWh, then this isn’t possible.

Off-peak rates aren’t disappearing any time soon.

Soldato
Issue is from Oct, av uk day rate will be more like 58p per kwh so almost 20p per mile, same as fuel and fuel is currently dropping week by week (paid £1.68 for petrol and £1.179 for diesel today (2 different cars)

So except for night charging, EVs will soon cost more if you day charge or use public chargers

I hope you kept your receipt for that diesel, unless you are Batman and the Batmobile runs on dieslel ;)

Soldato
Of course, if you are daily driving more than you can put in overnight- about 25 to 26 kWh, then this isn’t possible.

Yep, my I-Pace has an 84kWh battery and if I let get down to less than 10% SoC, it has to be charged in two separate cheap tariff windows (7 hours per window). I have found it best to never let it drop below 35% and I will get to roughly 80% in one charging session. If I need to do a 100% charge for a long trip I am happy to let it charge for a few hours at the higher day rate on those very rare occasions.

Associate
There's no financial benefit to an EV for many who do the UK average mileage or less.

There will be even less as electricity prices rise

Even calculating my crappy diesel tank with 20 odd mpg it'd take years to recoup the extra on an EV for equivalent motors.

Of course manufacturers trying to beat cycles etc for numbers are slowly killing off the cheap petrol in favour of mild hybrids, absolute waste of time and expense pushing up the price of the entry levels.

I bought a mg5 pre reg for 23k, lots cheaper than your qashqai.
Initial cost isn't so straight forward.
There's also a top grar pcp deal comparison for a corsa petrol vs e corsa, guess which ones is cheaper per month and overall to run?

An MG5 come on lad, no one is cross shopping a stylish affordable family SUV from a well known brand with that, no one, anywhere, ever

I'm not arguing, my next car will be an EV, but it's not always easy to get the true picture. It's not a fringe case to not be able to charge at home.

All you can do is do the calculations on your situation as it won't mirror anyone else's, I just used a crude spreadsheet to do the numbers for me and EVs make no sense to me, I do like the idea of one and the wishy washy green reasons that I can talk myself in to one, that is all I need.

I could attach my sheet and you can tweak to suit your set of circumstances, assumptions and numbers.

Whilst off peak tarif will exist for some time, the day rates for newbies have changed significantly so much so that Octopus offers no benefit to me over using my current day rate with British Gas

Associate
There's no financial benefit to an EV for many who do the UK average mileage or less.

Even calculating my crappy diesel tank with 20 odd mpg it'd take years to recoup the extra on an EV for equivalent motors.

Of course manufacturers trying to beat cycles etc for numbers are slowly killing off the cheap petrol in favour of mild hybrids, absolute waste of time and expense pushing up the price of the entry levels.

An MG5 come on lad, no one is cross shopping a stylish affordable family SUV from a well known brand with that, no one, anywhere, ever

All you can do is do the calculations on your situation as it won't mirror anyone else's, I just used a crude spreadsheet to do the numbers for me and EVs make no sense to me, I do like the idea of one and the wishy washy green reasons that I can talk myself in to one, that is all I need.

I could attach my sheet and you can tweak to suit your set of circumstances, assumptions and numbers.

Whilst off peak tarif will exist for some time, the day rates for newbies have changed significantly so much so that Octopus offers no benefit to me over using my current day rate with British Gas
Stylish suv
Oxymoron at its height.
13 months trouble free and saving me money each week on fuel.
As per the outlay? I was looking to buy a car anyway so no additional outlay.

You carry on with your badge snobbery at your own cost.

Associate
Dude I own a Chevrolet, not a cool American thing but a flash Daewoo because I too am a tight arse when it comes to some things :D zero badge snobbery here, its just a reference to the apples vs oranges comparison.

Last edited:
Soldato
Stylish suv
Oxymoron at its height.
13 months trouble free and saving me money each week on fuel.
As per the outlay? I was looking to buy a car anyway so no additional outlay.

Each to their own on styling but many people including myself prefer SUV/Crossover style cars. Hell I have even heard that some people find Telsas "stylish". :)

Like it or not he has a point on premium brands, someone looking at an Audi, BMW, Merc etc is not remotely going to have an MG on their radar. I have friends who consider me a badge snob because my last few cars have been BMW, Audi and Jaguar. I ask them if they considered a Dacia when they bought their Renault/Ford/Peugeot/Nissan etc.

Funny how that tends to shut them up.

Associate
That said though I don't relish the thought of unhitching the thing with all the expensive stuff there and leaving it in a trailer park to go off and use a power point, ripe for being stolen.
In some motorway services, the one way system means you can't get back to the chargers if you leave the trailer in the caravan parking area.

Like you say, going to be a while before an EV makes sense for towing in the UK

Soldato

This is why I believe EV prices will begin to drop again. The biggest driver of all car prices is buying patterns (market forces). Used car prices will drop back to sensible levels as the chip shortages are resolved. By sensible levels I mean lower than new car prices. New cars have excessive wait times and this pushed used prices up, but used prices EVs are especially high due to fossil fuel prices.

It is inevitable that the situation will be resolved as oil and electricity prices shift around and when (not if) the chip shortage is resolved in a few years. Add in the upcoming recession and it all adds up to a lot of factors affecting the car industry. I don’t see it being a case of prices tanking instantly, but gradually over the next three or four years.

Last edited:
Soldato

Off-peak rates aren’t disappearing any time soon.
Definitely won’t be. Octopus is still offering 40p/7.5p fixes. Renewable energy dominated suppliers are winning at the moment.

Soldato
Was looking at the latest charging infrastructure news etc. and I see Moto are making progress for their new Medway services hub with Gridserve on the M2, seems the electrical connections to support the (up to) 48 HPC's are half done already. Not sure if they'll get the whole thing finished by the end of the year, but it is good progress and will really help those travelling via Dover to the continent, has to be a massive improvement over the smattering of BP Pulse chargers currently on that route.

Soldato
if they can get to original tesla roadster 1300Kg ( or bmw i3s 1365 ) that could be fun.

.. or buy an old roadster ! maybe not

TeslaRoadster
V2.5 - HEATED SEATS - 2 DIN SCREEN

Londerzeel, BE
€ 165,000.
Mileage
65,989 km
First registration
04/2012

Caporegime
I need a 7m ish lead and local installer can do Zappi or hypervault. Any recommendations. Need to unloop house but it’s over the garden so should be ok.

Or are current chargers now a waste of time installing as V2G is coming for many cars including VW ID and so they will soon need upgrading? I see Zappi have v3 in the pipeline but what about hypervault ?

My cupra comes much earlier on 6th sept so want to get things ready.

Soldato
Nothing currently on sale supports V2G other than a limited trial with the Leaf so I’d not even consider it at the moment. You’ll inevitably need a new car and charger to utilise it.

As for Zappi or Hypervolt, I’d just get which ever suits your needs the most. Both have their plus and minus points and only you can really decide that. For example, the Zappi is more functional but the hypervolt looks better (IMO of course). Does the Zappi come with a long enough cable?

On another note I have really noticed the public rapid charging hubs are getting really quite busy at peak times. We are certainly regressing in parts of the country.

I was navigating the charging desert that is the A14 corridor over the weekend and it’s really not very well served at all.

For context, there are only two sites with high power chargers at Rugby and at Cambridge services.

The last few times I have stopped at Cambridge, the chargers have been rammed with cars queuing. Fortunately this week I was just stopping for a quick toilet brake and didn’t need to charge.

There are some high powered chargers on the A1 going north and south once you get off the A14 but the ionity hub at Peterborough was also rammed last time I stopped there.

On the flip side the A11 is very well served going north with big hubs from MFG, Tesla (public) and the gridserve forecourt all within 45 miles.

Associate
Zappi comes with 6.5m and the latest one is Wifi which will likely be a bit more convenient than the hub as the range can be a bit of an issue for some between hub and charger though I guess that can be an issue with Wifi too.

You can get a 10m cable for the Zappi and I wish I had went for that as I could use that extra few metres, wouldn't have been an issue but missus did not want the ugly box on the front of the house, so it is around the side, good for one car but not so much the other unless I park the other way around. :rolleyes: but obviously more cable means more bulk as it has to wrap around.

Back
Top Bottom