When are you going fully electric?

Caporegime
Yeh. Absolutely deluded comments about tech. Personally I like the tech of suspension that is advanced enough to not squeak constantly like the work test model 3s

Soldato
Looking at the EV9 to replace my XC90 when it comes to renewal time, not sure though as i'm not going to have a Full Time charger at home I can justify fast charger prices so often.

I'd only have a 3 pin plug at home as I do now for the XC90 Recharge!

Soldato
Tesla isn't a luxury brand. I'd say it's on par with Ford/Vauxhall and Model 3s are like the new Mondeo. They are very expensive because the batteries and motors are very expensive. The rest of the car is average quality.
In you opinion. Different generations aspire to different brands.

You ask a 12 year old what car they want, i can assure you the name Tesla comes along the same level as Ferrari or Lamborghini.

They might be commodity cars to you, but that brand holds much more youth focus than most others.

Soldato
Looking at the EV9 to replace my XC90 when it comes to renewal time, not sure though as i'm not going to have a Full Time charger at home I can justify fast charger prices so often.

If you have a 3 pin plug then surely installing a 7kw charger isn’t a substantial problem?

If it’s just temporary (E.g. moving house soon) then get a camando socket put in for a fraction of the price and use a portable charger you can take with you. Some cars with 7kw capable granny chargers as standard.

Edit: some people here granny charged for years, it wholly depends on daily milage and how long you are home. If you just do the usual 8-6 out the house, that’s potentially 14 hours a day on the granny charger

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have a 3 pin plug then surely installing a 7kw charger isn’t a substantial problem?

If it’s just temporary (E.g. moving house soon) then get a camando socket put in for a fraction of the price and use a portable charger you can take with you. Some cars with 7kw capable granny chargers as standard.

Edit: some people here granny charged for years, it wholly depends on daily milage and how long you are home. If you just do the usual 8-6 out the house, that’s potentially 14 hours a day on the granny charger
Great Advice, thank you.

There is a possibility they would install a 7kwh Charger as part of the contract, however, because of where my vehicle is parked it maybe classed as a non standard installation which is why when the grants were all about I just opted to have a 3 pin point installed.

In fairness, my daily mileage for work is 14 Miles with a few odd trips here and there.

Soldato

You can use a big battery EV with mostly granny charging if your typical mileage is low.
It's what we're mostly doing with the Q8.

We only resort to using the 7kw OHME charger when back to back longer journeys are needed.

Soldato
In you opinion. Different generations aspire to different brands.

You ask a 12 year old what car they want, i can assure you the name Tesla comes along the same level as Ferrari or Lamborghini.

They might be commodity cars to you, but that brand holds much more youth focus than most others.
if my lad ever choses a model 3 over a lambo I will kick him in the nuts ;)

Associate
If your mileage profile doesn't change you'll likely get more mileage in per charge granny charging an EV9 as Kia tend to be more efficient than Volvo, you can probably carry on as you are.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeh. Absolutely deluded comments about tech. Personally I like the tech of suspension that is advanced enough to not squeak constantly like the work test model 3s
I must admit I have been in a model 3 for all of 5 mins...... I have been in a model S and model X more but they didn't have any thing about them which was annoying like that.
another mate has a model Y being delivered next month which I expect will be closer to the model 3.

but things the Tesla can do which my ipace HSE can't.

any form of self driving (it was removed from my car due to chip shortage so maybe a little unfair) . it's not that I want to trust it, but for long dull drives on a motorway it would be nice to have.

the cameras are far more useful in the Tesla, you can record from them meaning no need to bother with dash cams

the UI is just much better. this is subjective of course but i can't figure out how to get wireless android auto to work which the car is meant to have , I can't fathom how to turn the car hot spot on despite it having the dats pack.

all this stuff is just easier imo in the Tesla.

i still would not swap mind you, but a Tesla model S iS a step up from a Mondeo imo which is my point.

Last edited:
Soldato
Great Advice, thank you.

There is a possibility they would install a 7kwh Charger as part of the contract, however, because of where my vehicle is parked it maybe classed as a non standard installation which is why when the grants were all about I just opted to have a 3 pin point installed.

In fairness, my daily mileage for work is 14 Miles with a few odd trips here and there.
The grants are done now so all the requirements they had have gone by the wayside.

Any reasonable sparky will install it where ever you want it, the only thing that will change is the £.

14miles/day is fine on a granny charger. 2kwh per hour on the charger and the car will do circa 3 miles per kWh. A 10 hour charge would give you back around 60 miles.

I’d personally get a 7kw charger because it means you can take advantage of time of use tariffs to minimise the cost to you. Your employer may only pay you the HMRC rate and it may not cover the fuel costs when using the price cap (plus any public charging).

Last edited:
Soldato
If your mileage profile doesn't change you'll likely get more mileage in per charge granny charging an EV9 as Kia tend to be more efficient than Volvo, you can probably carry on as you are.
Kia’s are generally little cars hence efficicnt. Please don’t draw parallels in road load between a Kona and a bohemoth that is a EV9 just as they share a badge.

Soldato
The grants are done now so all the requirements they had have gone by the wayside.

Any reasonable sparky will install it where ever you want it, the only thing that will change is the £.

14miles/day is fine on a granny charger. 2kwh per hour on the charger and the car will do circa 3 miles per kWh. A 10 hour charge would give you back around 60 miles.

Granny charging is horrendously inefficient.

Soldato
The Model Y we test drove was fine. It didn't feel like a premium car (certainly as far as the horrificly mismatched panel gaps).

But there's something about driving a Tesla that no other car has ever felt like. It's like driving a PS5.

Back
Top Bottom