When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I was amazed to hear 22% of all new cars must electric this year. Thats going to cause waves when maybe the majority arent even considering it. Car makers are finding it hard to make the same premium they normally would.

I would guess either usability or finance will have to come with these required sales, giving people the ability to charge cheap is part of the price. Ive heard of free charging being given at dealerships but never seen it myself

Caporegime
People with 9k in the bank wouldnt be the ones in the market for a cheap chinese **** box :p

Anyway onto more important matters, how much of a difference does a heatpump make in the real world, on VAG products its a ~£800 option.
Lots to range in the winter but not worth it on a maths basis on the longer trips where range matter. (Marginal saving by needing less fast charging). Spend the money on a more useful option

Associate
I was amazed to hear 22% of all new cars must electric this year. Thats going to cause waves when maybe the majority arent even considering it. Car makers are finding it hard to make the same premium they normally would.

I would guess either usability or finance will have to come with these required sales, giving people the ability to charge cheap is part of the price. Ive heard of free charging being given at dealerships but never seen it myself

There are so many additional factors at play though. For example I used to manage pricing at Motability pre covid, they're actually the biggest purchaser of new cars in the UK I think its something like 1 in 9 new cars is purchased by Motability. They get huge discounts from suppliers but even still when I left the cost of an electric car was prohibitively expensive meaning people even if their use case was perfect for one wouldn't go for it (often they go for the cars which need £0 additional input from themselves above their benefit amount).

I think Fleet is about 50% of new car sales, the rest private. My numbers will be out of date though as I've been out of the industry almost 4 years at this point.

All that is going to happen is the car companies will accept they're going to be fined because of not hitting the 22% electric car registrations, and will allow for this fine by bumping up prices of their cars. The exact same has just happened in boilers. Price increase pretty much at every manufacturer of £110-150, to allow for the fine they will get from the govt for not selling enough heat pumps as a proportion of their boiler sales.

ETA: Although actually shocked that Dec '23 had almost 20% electric car sales & Motability does have £0 cost electric cars albeit smaller ones and the bigger cars which most go for attract an additional payment.

Last edited:
Soldato

It’s why the headline ban of ICE changing was never really a story as this background requirement had no changes. They can buy credits from other manufacturers that are exceeding the 22%

Soldato
I reckon you could get that camping stuff in there, sounds like someone should've spent more time on Tetris :cry:

I thought we were fine with the Niro... Until my other half decided she wanted a dog. Not a small dog, a bloody greyhound :mad:

Probably need a van next :cry:

I'd agree that for a single-car family (do they exist anymore?) in certain use cases and scenarios the MG4 is far from ideal, but it also seems like those somewhat niche use-cases are being used to brand it overall useless, which it isn't. imo.

Far from useless, if we only had the one kid I'd be all over the MG4 (worst case scenario you stick stuff on the back seat!)

Soldato
Wasn't trying to convince you, just pointing out that when you word it "finding £9k for a deposit" making it sound like you have to have it on hand or be rich, when trading in something like a 67 plate Fiesta or Corsa will get you most of the way.

Indeed, so probably shouldn't try and compare what you would do, since you'd never buy new and therebefore any deal on a new car looks like a bad deal. What's the BIK on your company given car these days? £200+ per month?
I never said I wouldn't buy new.

I think my BIK comes out at £129, not that it's within my control. Company car can't be opted out of and the MD has indicated that EVs aren't an option so I can't bag a low BIK rate motor.

For my circa 10k annual personal mileage inc. fuel it works out as 29p/mile.

Soldato
We swapped my wife Level 2 Mini Electric for a Level 3 as they were doing a run out special on them at the end of last year. She has gone from Chili Red to Enigmatic Black (BMW Carbon Black) with white leather and fully loaded. Very impressed, surprisingly its more comfortable and drives better than the older one which was only 2 years old with 20K on the clock.

Soldato
I got my wife a MG4 before Xmas to replace her Legacy Estate. Her main gripe is the boot space of course, but she gets by perfectly fine. Although more space would be nice, she is otherwise very happy with it. We have 2 young kids, 2 months and 2 years. Its fine for day to day stuff. We would use my van for trips away.

Range is around 150 miles in this weather, but it drives nicely and has everything we would need. Spacious enough front and back. Boot is not that bad in my opinion. I mean, we all made do with much less space when we were kids.

We got this on Salary Sac for £250/month on 10k/4 years. Includes all costs, insurances, AA etc.

Last edited:
Associate

Some quite large depreciations in value on used EV's in 2023.
Ive noticed this recently, I very nearly pulled the plug on a model 3 last year for around £32K, you can now get a model 3 LR/Performance for mid 20's with under 35k on the clock.

Soldato
Some quite large depreciations in value on used EV's in 2023.

Yep, sadly due to the weird previous years where prices were not dropping at all, and in some cases going up the whole market was skewed and a drop bigger than normal was inevitable. It's not necessarily a bad thing though, as the market needs to be back towards affordability second hand. I had a leased Merc C-Class Coupe with a list of over £42k, and after three years it was just under £20k in the same spec, so that is where something like a Model 3 is now in terms of depreciation. People complain about used prices being too high, and then complain about losses when it does drop, you can't make 100% of people happy only some of them. :)

Back
Top Bottom