When are you going fully electric?

Soldato
I wonder if Octopus would allow a dual setup, both Gas and a new heat pump?
The boiler has to go under the BUS grant scheme.

The only reason to go down the hybrid route is that your heat loss is so high, it couldn’t be covered by a heat pump (or multiple) or there was insufficient power to install a high enough power heat pump.

Why would you want it to stay? If the units installed correctly, you don’t need it.

#off topic - go to the linked thread.

Soldato
We are taking fully electric to the next level this week - the gas pipe got capped off today and the trades are in ripping out the boiler.

The caravan isn’t all electric yet though!
if our gas combi wasn't only 5 years old with another 5 to go on the warranty we would (I hope so long as the mrs let me) go full electric heating. probably a heat pump. may as well make use of the massive government grant.

Associate
After a lot of consideration the best option for my circumstances is a PHEV. So Im replacing my Rav4 Hybrid with the plug-in version. And my wifes car will get replaced with a full electric in a couple of years.

Im trying to understand what the best option to charge the PHEV?

1) Get a wall box (that also works with my solar and battery in the house) and be ready for my wifes full electric car in 2 years

or

2) Just use a granny charger. However, this will mean getting a dedicated socket as I dont have a garage. Any recommendations on type of granny charger?

Ive contacted Octopus and their lead time is 8 weeks. So looking at other inslallers

Thoughts on best charging route?

Soldato
if you are going full EV in the future anyway then imo just bite the bullet now and get a home charge point. i would get one which is intelligent octopus supporting as well, Ohme pro and zappi being the most popular

if you want one which plays nice with solar charging then the zappi is the obvious choice... (it does not need to be installed by Octopus to use intelligent Octopus. Elecology installed mine and am happy with it)

Last edited:
Associate
Get a smart wall box now, the RAV4 has a fastish 6.6Kw on board charger, assuming new, think older might be 3.6 and it has a large battery allowing you to charge in 2.5 hours, pretty much useful for any off peak window at home, whereas using the granny you’d be looking at a 7-8hr charge, the fast charger would also allow quick top ups during the day as even peak electric rate is still cheaper than petrol.

The smart wall box will be good for future cars too, may as well take advantage now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, I'll call the dealer to check cheers
Do because they don’t all come with one.

Likewise not all come with a type 2 cable either for public chargers but being realistic, you’ll probably not use it much.

Edit: second a Zappi charger, in terms of functionality it’s probably the best on the market. It’s only downside is it looks like a toilet seat and once you’ve seen that, you can’t ’un-see’ it :p

I’ve got a hypervolt which plays nice with solar and looks better than a Zappi but the Zappi trumps it on features by some margin.

Last edited:
Associate
After a lot of consideration the best option for my circumstances is a PHEV. So Im replacing my Rav4 Hybrid with the plug-in version. And my wifes car will get replaced with a full electric in a couple of years.

Im trying to understand what the best option to charge the PHEV?

1) Get a wall box (that also works with my solar and battery in the house) and be ready for my wifes full electric car in 2 years

or

2) Just use a granny charger. However, this will mean getting a dedicated socket as I dont have a garage. Any recommendations on type of granny charger?

Ive contacted Octopus and their lead time is 8 weeks. So looking at other inslallers

Thoughts on best charging route?
Can only go with my install from Octopus for a Zappi but they were significantly cheaper than any other installer who gave me a price and they used decent 'ultra ev' cable as well. I was happy to wait a couple of months as it's a small amount of time compared to the time I'll have the car.

You may get a type 2 cable with the car, a lot don't provide granny chargers any more. If you do want to buy a granny charger then ask the dealer how much one is and if it's more than the masterplug you can get from screwfix then just get one from screwfix.

Soldato
Im intrigued why you want to move from the Hybrid to the PHEV, from my experience, the Toyota/Lexus Hybrids are stupidly reliable and economical.
IF the time has come to replace your car anyway, and you have the space / ability to charge at home surely the question is why *wouldnt* you when replacing your car get one which you can charge off your home electricity and get some 2p per mile driving.

I filled our i3 up last night at shell (v power £14 for 7.5litres!!!)Daylight robbery!

it was quite funny as the garage attendant didnt know the i3 came with an optional extender engine so he was shocked to see me putting petrol in an EV :D

in over 5000 miles of driving however it was only the 2nd time i have filled it up however. Around 10litres of petrol in 5000 miles is not so bad... and half of that we didnt need to use, but we periodically run the engine for 15 mins to keep it in shape.

Last edited:
Associate
Im intrigued why you want to move from the Hybrid to the PHEV, from my experience, the Toyota/Lexus Hybrids are stupidly reliable and economical.
Just for a change if I'm honest and a step closer to going full electric. Mrs AB had final say and we have saved a fair bit of cash not going full electric as what I was going to buy was another 10k.

Soldato
Do because they don’t all come with one.

Likewise not all come with a type 2 cable either for public chargers but being realistic, you’ll probably not use it much.

Edit: second a Zappi charger, in terms of functionality it’s probably the best on the market. It’s only downside is it looks like a toilet seat and once you’ve seen that, you can’t ’un-see’ it :p

I’ve got a hypervolt which plays nice with solar and looks better than a Zappi but the Zappi trumps it on features by some margin.
Since Hypervolt announced Enphase and Kraken integrations the other week, is this still true?

I like the expansive myenergi eco-system but that comes at a reasonable cost, my neighbour has a zappi and had to buy a 'hub' to get OTA firmware updates and it doesn't play nicely at all with his givenergy batteries.. mind you, I don't know what would..

Soldato
Since Hypervolt announced Enphase and Kraken integrations the other week, is this still true?
Well it’s not implemented yet so I’d say yes.

I like the expansive myenergi eco-system but that comes at a reasonable cost, my neighbour has a zappi and had to buy a 'hub' to get OTA firmware updates and it doesn't play nicely at all with his givenergy batteries.. mind you, I don't know what would..
I suspect GivEnergy might suggest the GivEnergy EV charger ;)

The battery issue is the same across the board and can be made worse if you are using a hybrid inverter.

Unless the two things can talk to each other or you wire in the charger so the battery can’t ’see’ the chargers power draw via its CT clamp, they are a nightmare to deal with.

Nerds resort to using Home Assistant as an interface between the different products and make them work together.

Normal people tear their hair out, particularly if they have ‘smart charging’ which can charge the car at any time of the day.

Last edited:
Soldato
Normal people tear their hair out, particularly if they have ‘smart charging’ which can charge the car at any time of the day.
this is where i am at. i need to figure out home assistant as i am currently not maximising my cheap electricity potential, and its a pita having to wait till either 11:30pm or until my battery is flat before plugging in.

As for hypervolt supporting octopus intelligent charging... that is great news but i would wait until its in and working before being convinced.

it took ages from myenergie announcing Octopus support coming for the zappi until it was actively implemented.

Last edited:
Soldato
this is where i am at. i need to figure out home assistant as i am currently not maximising my cheap electricity potential, and its a pita having to wait till either 11:30pm or until my battery is flat before plugging in.

In all honesty, the most reliable option not non-nerds is to split the power supply just after the meter and connecting the charger in there.

You’d put the battery CT on the house side so it can’t see the power draw of the EV charger, happy days.

The main issue is getting a spark in to deal with it at your cost, if it’s even possible with your particular set up.

Last edited:
Soldato
IF the time has come to replace your car anyway, and you have the space / ability to charge at home surely the question is why *wouldnt* you when replacing your car get one which you can charge off your home electricity and get some 2p per mile driving.

I filled our i3 up last night at shell (v power £14 for 7.5litres!!!)Daylight robbery!

it was quite funny as the garage attendant didnt know the i3 came with an optional extender engine so he was shocked to see me putting petrol in an EV :D

in over 5000 miles of driving however it was only the 2nd time i have filled it up however. Around 10litres of petrol in 5000 miles is not so bad... and half of that we didnt need to use, but we periodically run the engine for 15 mins to keep it in shape.
Don't the additives in V-Power become less effective over time? If so there's no point having it just sitting in the tank, you might as well fill up with regular 95.

I've come off of roundabouts at the same time as some quick EVs recently (mainly Model 3's). Now admittedly I'm not maxing out my little Leon and they may have their foot planted to the floor... but the difference in acceleration is incredible. I mean we all know the 0-60 stats but seeing it like for like on the road it's like our cars are operating to different laws of physics.

TBH I'm surprised more people don't end up stacking their new car when making the swap, especially if they are coming from something relatively modest power wise.

Soldato
Don't the additives in V-Power become less effective over time? If so there's no point having it just sitting in the tank, you might as well fill up with regular 95.

I've come off of roundabouts at the same time as some quick EVs recently (mainly Model 3's). Now admittedly I'm not maxing out my little Leon and they may have their foot planted to the floor... but the difference in acceleration is incredible. I mean we all know the 0-60 stats but seeing it like for like on the road it's like our cars are operating to different laws of physics.

TBH I'm surprised more people don't end up stacking their new car when making the swap, especially if they are coming from something relatively modest power wise.
i am not sure re the fuel.. i certainly didnt put it in for performance (its a 2 stroke 600cc motorbike engine) but i figured if the fuel is gonna sit in the tank for 4months+ and its only a 9l tank i may as well put decent quality stuff in with cleaning additives rather than the cheap supermarket slapper...... but you could well be right.

As of EV performance yeah it crossed my mind. not really an issue for me as whilst my ipace is the fastest 0-60 car i have ever owned (4.3s i think) i have had other performance cars in the past, and the ipace is 4wd with a lot more aids on it than my previous cars have had.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom