When recruitment goes weird

Caporegime
:D :D :D Sounds like the place I'm at.

We have no space in our area of the building to add extra desks or workspaces. We've got someone on sick who's back the end of May, his space has been filled by someone doing a temp personal development stint with us for a few months, someone else is on maternity and they've lost their desk. We've got a contractor in 3-4 days a week who basically sits at the side of 2 other peoples desks just a few mm from some cupboards that are constantly being used.

Our SysAdmin & Inf team had to move taking up the only free space in the area because some upper management got turfed out of their cushy offices so they took some of our space.

It's like a call centre at the moment its terrible. The closeness of everything, the air, the noise it's really not a nice environment to be in.

Man of Honour
Lack of desk space is more genuine than you might think, although I don't think I would risk losing a good candidate for that reason, I would find a way to make it work whether that be by hotdesking or whatever. Presumably you would be on a notice period during which they could get it sorted.
My colleagues seem more worried about it than I do; I guess ultimately you can hit issues not strictly 'desk' related but more like network/power/legal etc.

Many reasons it could come up, perhaps a new project team has been setup so they've moved people in from other locations etc that wasn't envisaged when the job was posted.

Soldato
Lack of space if genuine or not is their problem not yours.

Just go do something else, if they come back and you can do it, great, it not, their loss.

Soldato
I assume you know the company you got interviewed at....just call them??

I do yeah, see above wasn’t sure how that would go down lol

do not do this. If a company is using a recruiter it is for a reason. I use recruiters because i have to manage upwards of 100 applicants for each role I advertise. if a candidate came directly to me to start enquiring what was going on bla bla bla, they get removed from the list instantly as it shows they can't follow a simply procedure and i have no need for sunday morning quarterbacks

Caporegime
at this point though he's not one of 100 applicants but rather an applicant they want to hire - throwing his CV out because he dared to call up would be a bit extreme, I'd assume in most cases the people in charge of hiring are more normal, balanced individuals

Soldato
do not do this. If a company is using a recruiter it is for a reason. I use recruiters because i have to manage upwards of 100 applicants for each role I advertise. if a candidate came directly to me to start enquiring what was going on bla bla bla, they get removed from the list instantly as it shows they can't follow a simply procedure and i have no need for sunday morning quarterbacks

He's hardly one in a hundred though is it, he's been for an interview, well received etc and would hopefully be getting back in touch. Also, "Sunday morning Quarterbacks"?? what?

@antijoke did anything come of this?

Soldato
You sound like somebody stuck 20 years in the past. A good candidate experience should be a given - they are your customers and advocates as well. If a candidate has reached the interview stage then they deserve to be treated a lot better than this.

Soldato
You sound like somebody stuck 20 years in the past. A good candidate experience should be a given - they are your customers and advocates as well. If a candidate has reached the interview stage then they deserve to be treated a lot better than this.

20 yrs ago you always got a reply. Its these days that people don't reply. Normally at interview you'd get a reply, but not always.

Soldato
20 yrs ago you always got a reply. Its these days that people don't reply. Normally at interview you'd get a reply, but not always.
I guess it depends on the company, but especially now when you have platforms such as LinkedIn and Glassdoor these days, it's always best to treat your candidates well even if they weren't a fit for the role.

Man of Honour

Even 20 years ago it was pretty random - you probably have to go back further than that for it to be more the norm - I think I only got a reply from maybe 50% back then but many of the bigger companies felt it was important for their image to properly reply, etc. I've not had to look for a job for awhile but from friends and family experience it seems even less bother replying these days.

Soldato
For job applications its the norm not to get a response. But we are taking interview? That said I never follow anything up. When I was a contactor you just kept applying for jobs so there were jobs constantly lined up.

My current job replied with a interview about 9 months after I applied. Then about 3 months later I had to do an medical and didn't get a job offer till about 2 months after that. In that time I'd done 2 contracts and had another lined up when I got this job offer.

Back
Top Bottom