• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
Supply and demand. Once every retailer has excess stock of all models of GPU and it's just sat there not getting sold - the prices will drop.

The question is when. My guess is 2021 at the earliest.

We'll never see a return to Pascal prices again though. It simply costs more money to build a GPU these days. I'm sure prices will be cheaper than Turing.

Caporegime
Supply and demand. Once every retailer has excess stock of all models of GPU and it's just sat there not getting sold - the prices will drop.

The question is when. My guess is 2021 at the earliest.

We'll never see a return to Pascal prices again though. It simply costs more money to build a GPU these days. I'm sure prices will be cheaper than Turing.
PC will never again be the lead development platform, when an entry-level GPU costs £450, and a "mainstream" GPU costs £600.

So yeah, prices can go as high as they wish - obviously sales will drop proportionately, and PC gamers will moan that "consoles are holding us back". Well that's because people can afford consoles, and devs aren't going to target hardware only 2% of gamers have.

Soldato
PC will never again be the lead development platform, when an entry-level GPU costs £450, and a "mainstream" GPU costs £600.

So yeah, prices can go as high as they wish - obviously sales will drop proportionately, and PC gamers will moan that "consoles are holding us back". Well that's because people can afford consoles, and devs aren't going to target hardware only 2% of gamers have.

So your saying the entry level will always be £450?

I'm guessing £200.

Caporegime
So your saying the entry level will always be £450?

I'm guessing £200.
The xx60 cards are what I'd call entry-level. No chance they'll be back to £200. They were £300 before the pandemic.

And yeah, I can see those cards sticking around £400 going forwards. Like you said, it's only going to get more expensive. Everybody chasing higher margins. From TSMC to all the AIBs.

Soldato
The xx60 cards are what I'd call entry-level. No chance they'll be back to £200. They were £300 before the pandemic.

And yeah, I can see those cards sticking around £400 going forwards. Like you said, it's only going to get more expensive. Everybody chasing higher margins. From TSMC to all the AIBs.

Surely the 1660 replaced the 1060.

The 2060 name was a marketing gimmick to make entry level gamers spend more. The 3060 replaced the 2060.

We haven't seen the 1660 replacement yet.

Caporegime
Surely the 1660 replaced the 1060.

The 2060 name was a marketing gimmick to make entry level gamers spend more. The 3060 replaced the 2060.

We haven't seen the 1660 replacement yet.
Regardless of naming, the current 3060 (non-TI) is a pretty anaemic card that's barely capable of matching/beating console performance. Hence, entry-level.

Anything less powerful would be a pointless purchase for a gamer.

Associate
Supply has to catch up and exceed demand basically.
But there is zero signs that is going to happen anytime soon.

The real question is NVIDIA intentionally drip feeding this market to keep the supply constrained and prices elevated?
I mean they can say whatever they like it really does not matter at this point.
As the actual reality on the ground is ongoing shortages many months after launch.

This has been my thought for the last 6 months.

Associate
PC use to be at the forefront of gaming.
Sadly but it will become Toys for the rich and hobbyist .

I consider Myself lucky growing up with relatively cheap pc gaming, and I'm getting to old to care any more.

I have 1080 that gives me 45fps in Redemption 2 and 40 fps in flight simulator
And on 3440x1440 Screen. More then enough.

I play wow classic and my gpu is 45% loaded.
Realy no point Spend money on 3xxx GPUs.

I think 1xxx series cards holding well against 3xxx cards performance Vise and due to no availability and stupid prices there is no good reason to get one.

hef

hef

Associate
High end PC gaming will never go away because too many content production professionals have excellent hardware because of their line of work. There will always be a demand for high end hardware, the pricing of it will just fluctuate dramatically, as it always has done.
Compare the RTX 3090 release price to the last gen TITAN RTX...
RTX 3090 release price is 71% cheaper than TITAN RTX was but performs 22% better on average. 71% is a pretty massive price drop for a better device in a tier where little to no competition existed until the 6900XT.

Obviously that point is not fully consequential at the moment because of other market factors (crypto mining, chip shortages, logistics delays) but it's worth observing for future context.

Associate
Supply has to catch up and exceed demand basically.
But there is zero signs that is going to happen anytime soon.

The real question is NVIDIA intentionally drip feeding this market to keep the supply constrained and prices elevated?
I mean they can say whatever they like it really does not matter at this point.
As the actual reality on the ground is ongoing shortages many months after launch.

All I'll say is they don't seam to be suffering any ill effects from these 'shortages'.

nVidia could basically dust off a warehouse full of Geforce 256's and move them at ludicrous prices right now.

There's no real motivation for nVidia to manufacture a shortage, and they simply cannot crank out GPUs fast enough to meet demand. They need to keep revenue coming in, and as much as possible, otherwise the party will end and institutional investors i.e. the investors holding 90% of stock will start selling. And they can't just increase supply since they have a fixed allocation from TSMC who are completely red-lined for the foreseeable.

The real question is how much will nVidia continue to raise their baseline prices going forward. By the time prices have settled, my guess is MSRP across all segments will have shifted upwards 30-40%. I think we're looking at a world where the mid-range starts at £500-600.

The other scenario is the crypto market bottoms out and stays there. That will bring prices down across the board right quick.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

When the consoles approach end of life, their performance will be so poor. Even a budget xx50 GPU will destroy it.

Eh? Performance will be exactly the same at a consoles end of life as it was at its launch.

Do you mean relative performance will be poor?

Soldato

gtx 460 - $200
gtx 560 - $199
gtx 660 - $229
gtx 760 - $249
gtx 960 - $199
gtx 1060 - $299
rtx 2060 - $349
rtx 3060 - $330

Will it ever drop below $300 again? Probably not... Can see it easily staying at $400.

Associate
I don't think prices will return to normal until mining is no longer profitable or LHR cards are nolonger desired by miners.
I saw a post that although LHR cards are no good for Eth mining they can still earn about 90% on some other coins so not sure these alone will be the gamers salvation.

Associate
I think the current GPU market is making consoles look very attractive. Although I use my PC for a development/machine learning too and don't game so much as probably some of the others on here do can't quite bring myself to pat £450 for a gaming only XBox.

Back
Top Bottom