• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
one thing as a PC gamer I always loved was the ability to use my games and softeare from the past and get it to work better on a new updated PC, same thing now on consoles.

Except that's not true is it? I've got a copy of Dead Space 3 for the PS3 here - can I play that on the PS5 in 4k at 60fps and still play co-op with a friend like I can on the PC?

The answer is no.

Can I choose to buy DRM-free games on console?

Also no.

I get everyone's frustration about the GPU situation at the moment - and I don't blame anyone that just wants to play some games for getting a console - but console gaming is playing inside a rigidly-controlled walled garden subject to the whims of the corporate owner and at some point (perhaps when you'd like to play your multiplayer PS5 game with your XBox-owning friend?) you'll bump suddenly and unpleasantly into those walls.

Soldato
Except that's not true is it? I've got a copy of Dead Space 3 for the PS3 here - can I play that on the PS5 in 4k at 60fps and still play co-op with a friend like I can on the PC?

The answer is no.

Can I choose to buy DRM-free games?

Also no.

I get everyone's frustration about the GPU situation at the moment - and I don't blame anyone that just wants to play some games for getting a console - but console gaming is playing inside a rigidly-controlled walled garden subject to the whims of the corporate owner and at some point (perhaps when you'd like to play your multiplayer PS5 game with your XBox-owning friend?) you'll bump suddenly and unpleasantly into those walls.

Read everything I said ;) without skimming. I said from PS4 for sony.

PS3 was never mentioned, also some PS3 games got updated for the PS4, but you will not be able to use the PS3 original software on any machine other than the PS3. As I stated above this was one of my pet hates with consoles and only the PS4 made me buy into a console with my own money as I knew they would work on PS5 and hopefully future systems.

DRM is a fact of life and yes you can choose not to buy DRM based games and choose to buy DRM free games or games with DRM that will get removed if servers are taken down.

Associate
I read everything you wrote - I mentioned the PS3 because there's games I love from the PS1, PS2 and PS3 era - I have them all on the PC and I can play them without restrictions whenever I choose. I'm glad to see Microsoft and Sony being more supportive of backwards compatibility but there's still a wealth of gaming history that's simply unavailable to current-gen consoles.

Associate
It's unfortunate that some people don't actually have the luxury of waiting for prices to go down. I don't any see any point going from and 10 series to a 29 series when there are 30s on the market. Might be a little while before I get one but unless I become desperate I'll wait a few more weeks

Ivs

Ivs

Associate
Hi guys

Im wondering when the Gpu's prices are going down ??

Everyone is suffering from the prices specially in kuwait ! They are selling rtx 3090 $3500 !!

The core factor that determines the change of prices is the formula of 'supply and demand'. When demand is high and supply is low, like our current gpu situation, prices usually go up, and when supply is high and demand is low, prices usually drop.

The insane prices of gpus now was the result of a perfect storm. First, the virus came around and caused lockdowns, slowing and lowering supply. Second, the announcement and release of the 30 series was such a jump in performance vs cost that everyone wanted it. Demand went up. Then, the price of Bitcoin skyrocketed with other crypto soon following, making miners REALLY REALLY want 30 series cards. Demand skyrocketed and miners hoovered up all gpus worth their salt, leaving behind dusty 770s and 960s for the rest of us, which were then all bought by gamers for double their value. Leaving no gpus for anyone other than scalped cards. It all really was the perfect storm).

(Now, if people all together refused to buy at the insane scalper prices, that would also lower the price, but that takes united effort)

Demand is high now and supply is low, but thats slowly changing as vaccines roll out and companies produce more cards. Its only a matter of time when gpus go back to their original rrp. Also, crypto value is declining and is no longer sky high. Also, special mining only gpus and special mining dedicated computers (instead of gpus) will be coming out soon, and they are far more efficient than gaming gpus. It wont be long until the miners are off our backs and the virus ***ks off to allow companies to produce at full capacity again.

The RRP times are coming, brothers! Just a few more months! I would say around November as companies get ready for Christmas

Last edited:
Permabanned
It's really difficult to say but it doesn't look like it will be this year. I think the earliest will be 2022 and probably 2023.

The depressing part is that gamers have shown they are willing to pay ridiculous prices for a graphics card and I am afraid that NVIDIA are unlikely to ignore that. Prices may never come back to normal. It will take another fail launch to do that. Even so, I am not sure they will ever return to anything like normal. Knowing NVIDIA they are likely to push prices as much as they can, meaning we have seen the last of "good value".

Permabanned
It's unfortunate that some people don't actually have the luxury of waiting for prices to go down. I don't any see any point going from and 10 series to a 29 series when there are 30s on the market. Might be a little while before I get one but unless I become desperate I'll wait a few more weeks

Weeks? There is no way this is going to take weeks. I don't think there is any hope whatsoever in six months. Supply may improve by 2022 but that will see the start of a gradual return to normal prices that could easily take another six months, if ever.

Associate
In terms of the semi-conductor shortage, I have been dealing with various suppliers that originally said early 2022, but have now said late 2022.

A nice financial crisis or crash in the crypto market would probably ease things quite a bit, but that is down to chance.

My 2c is its not getting better this year, probably easing over 2022 and resolved by late 2023.

Associate
In terms of the semi-conductor shortage, I have been dealing with various suppliers that originally said early 2022, but have now said late 2022.

A nice financial crisis or crash in the crypto market would probably ease things quite a bit, but that is down to chance.

My 2c is its not getting better this year, probably easing over 2022 and resolved by late 2023.

Generally what I'd predict at this stage as well. I'd actually bet that we see the next generation of GPUs before we see prices come back down. You have 3 big problems all at once, demand outstripping supply which creates scarcity now, people not being able to get what they want now creates a backlog of consumers with money to spend but no product which is just growing and will need to be caught up with even once supply is increased. And then you have all this future demand for new products which will be ready by the time supply starts to get better, new GPUs and phones in a few years which will create renewed demand all over again.

Having said that a mining crash in Eth and other GPU efficient crypto may flood the second hand market with cards at some point, there's always that hope.

Associate

Having said that a mining crash in Eth and other GPU efficient crypto may flood the second hand market with cards at some point, there's always that hope.

The second hand market is already "improving" price wise at least. I expect those people willing to pay stupid scalper prices have now got a card. It's also good to see items being unsold with zero bids when they would have been sold easily a few weeks ago. A further mining crash would help though

I for one wil not pay scalper prices. Running a 1060 at 1080p is better than that and I'll hold out for my OCUK order. I just wish more could hold off just a little longer to make the prices drop quickly to help out those unfortunate enough to miss pre-orders.

As to the return to the normal state of being able to go to a retailer and buy the card you want I expect late 2022. But prices will be well above the original MSRP for the 30 series. And going forward you can bet that the MSRP of 40+ series will be nearer the actual selling price. Once bitten...

Associate
The depressing part is that gamers have shown they are willing to pay ridiculous prices for a graphics card and I am afraid that NVIDIA are unlikely to ignore that. Prices may never come back to normal. It will take another fail launch to do that. Even so, I am not sure they will ever return to anything like normal. Knowing NVIDIA they are likely to push prices as much as they can, meaning we have seen the last of "good value".

Part of the reason for acceptance is people are still getting 2080ti performance (or close to) for less money in most cases. I think that is the only reason there has been acceptance of these prices.

The oddity is the 3060 pricing and what those cards are going for... I can only assume these are selling for mining?

Associate
The second hand market is already "improving" price wise at least. I expect those people willing to pay stupid scalper prices have now got a card. It's also good to see items being unsold with zero bids when they would have been sold easily a few weeks ago. A further mining crash would help though

I for one wil not pay scalper prices. Running a 1060 at 1080p is better than that and I'll hold out for my OCUK order. I just wish more could hold off just a little longer to make the prices drop quickly to help out those unfortunate enough to miss pre-orders.

As to the return to the normal state of being able to go to a retailer and buy the card you want I expect late 2022. But prices will be well above the original MSRP for the 30 series. And going forward you can bet that the MSRP of 40+ series will be nearer the actual selling price. Once bitten...

Yup you're exactly right on that, the prices in general will come down as the people willing to pay lots for the cards start to get their kit and are not longer bidding up the prices, and that'll probably be a fast non-linear drop off. But that's going to come right back for any kind of next gen card because those people with a lot of disposable income don't just want the best but are generally willing to pay it every generation. Which is why I think any drop in prices between now and the next gen cards will bounce right back up and probably keep them high for a good 6 months after they launch, even if they manage higher supply.

I'm interested to know how the retooling for the next node shrink affects all this. One thing that'd be nice to see is not having to compete with the hundreds of millions of consoles for the wafers, as they'll stick to the 7/8nm node where as the PC GPUs will move on.

Associate
Prices might be high, but what I can't get is why we lack any low-mid tier GPUs options. Something on par with a 2060 or around there... I mean, a 2060 Super for 599£ seems insane...

Associate
The core factor that determines the change of prices is the formula of 'supply and demand'. When demand is high and supply is low, like our current gpu situation, prices usually go up, and when supply is high and demand is low, prices usually drop.

The insane prices of gpus now was the result of a perfect storm. First, the virus came around and caused lockdowns, slowing and lowering supply. Second, the announcement and release of the 30 series was such a jump in performance vs cost that everyone wanted it. Demand went up. Then, the price of Bitcoin skyrocketed with other crypto soon following, making miners REALLY REALLY want 30 series cards. Demand skyrocketed and miners hoovered up all gpus worth their salt, leaving behind dusty 770s and 960s for the rest of us, which were then all bought by gamers for double their value. Leaving no gpus for anyone other than scalped cards. It all really was the perfect storm).

(Now, if people all together refused to buy at the insane scalper prices, that would also lower the price, but that takes united effort)

Demand is high now and supply is low, but thats slowly changing as vaccines roll out and companies produce more cards. Its only a matter of time when gpus go back to their original rrp. Also, crypto value is declining and is no longer sky high. Also, special mining only gpus and special mining dedicated computers (instead of gpus) will be coming out soon, and they are far more efficient than gaming gpus. It wont be long until the miners are off our backs and the virus ***ks off to allow companies to produce at full capacity again.

The RRP times are coming, brothers! Just a few more months! I would say around November as companies get ready for Christmas
Hi guys

Everyone is suffering from the prices specially in kuwait ! They are selling rtx 3090 $3500 !!
Hi guys

A lot of the demand is from mining. Towards the end of July a major change in mining profitability of ethereum will happen. If it goes negative then gpus will flood the market and new ones won’t fly the shelf as quick. Keep fingers crossed!

Don
I'm hoping for the next 2 or 3 months. If that hash thing Nvidia done works it might be within that time frame

The hash limiting won't have an effect until those are the only models you can buy, and even then there are still tons of people wanting cards. Until availability outstrips demand there will be no change.
My guess is that prices aren't going to come back down again until late 2022.

Associate
The hash limiting won't have an effect until those are the only models you can buy, and even then there are still tons of people wanting cards. Until availability outstrips demand there will be no change.
My guess is that prices aren't going to come back down again until late 2022.
Oh yea suppose that's true. Hopefully they can speed up the manufacturing of the cards. I seen someone saying there isn't a physical shortage just demand outways production

Back
Top Bottom