• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Soldato
yeah i know that one, been at this waaaaaaaaaay too long, all the way back to pre 3dfx days. il probably give it a few more weeks and see what shakes out.
Hope you get the right one. I go back to the Kyro II cards. Sold my 5700XT for £850, now using a 5830 so no high end gaming for me!

Associate
Past performance is not a guarantee of future performance ;) You take a chance whatever. If you buy now you may find you've overpaid for much lower performance but at least you'll have something. I'll take the chance I may not get something but I will still have cash in the bank to spend later and not a very depreciated asset. You pay your money and take your choice...

You might find that this time round, there will be a lot of folks who've bought 30 series cards (even if they overpaid) and would be reluctant to sell before the 40 series. My point is that there may be more availability and lower prices come October.

Soldato
You might find that this time round, there will be a lot of folks who've bought 30 series cards (even if they overpaid) and would be reluctant to sell before the 40 series. My point is that there may be more availability and lower prices come October.

I agree, I'm waiting until then too.

Associate
When the cryptos change from POW to POS then proabably the demand for GPU will fall, but the chip stortage is still going on so price wont drop too much in the foreseeable future.

Associate
Good to see you guys are notcing prices coming down - there certainly seems to be better stock availability than last year.

For what it's worth I ordered an RTX3080 early last year, waited months with no end in sight to the supply crisis and then spotted a Gigabyte Radeon RX6800XT on sale at £949 back in August so bought that instead. I've been thrilled with it! I mainly use flight simulators and driving simulators with HP Reverb G2 and it performs really well - albeit there are no graphics cards in the world that can drive that headset at 90fps in full res on FS2020 or XP11 running complex aircraft. For flatscreen gaming it will take everything you can throw at it and still deliver frame rates that are way above the refresh rate of my monitor, I saw 600fps on the loading screens for FS2020 the other day.

What did surprise me is that my card is still £999.95 on OC at present so I am glad I jumped in when I did. I've had 8 months gaming and saved £50 on current prices. Most of all I am glad I ditched my 3080 order. At the time I purchased they were £1200 if you could get one at all although it seems some are now available at £950 ish. There's little to choose between them and at the end of the day you've got to figure out if you want to forego a year or two's gaming in high res or VR with good performance in order to maybe save £200 on the price. For me I decided that I would pay the premium to enjoy gaming asap but YMMV.

Birdseed

Associate
It's noticeable. Sold my RTX 2060 to CEX for a £313 voucher. It's still in the same store for £300 cash just now.
They made scalper's levels of profits earlier, so no tears from me!

This does partially explain why they haven't done much reductions since about 1-2 weeks ago though - they bought these cards at high prices.

Current gen cards they still have priced way above MSRP aside from the 6500 XT, the 6900 XT, and (barely) the 3090, so even with buying vouchers @85% or so, they have no bargains.

Associate
With gpu prices and demand going down (not MSRP but improving at least) how likely is it that the next gen releases will be available for reasonable prices? At launch I bet they will still sell out instantly but I'm curious if stock will be better by then

Soldato
Good to see you guys are notcing prices coming down - there certainly seems to be better stock availability than last year.

For what it's worth I ordered an RTX3080 early last year, waited months with no end in sight to the supply crisis and then spotted a Gigabyte Radeon RX6800XT on sale at £949 back in August so bought that instead. I've been thrilled with it! I mainly use flight simulators and driving simulators with HP Reverb G2 and it performs really well - albeit there are no graphics cards in the world that can drive that headset at 90fps in full res on FS2020 or XP11 running complex aircraft. For flatscreen gaming it will take everything you can throw at it and still deliver frame rates that are way above the refresh rate of my monitor, I saw 600fps on the loading screens for FS2020 the other day.

What did surprise me is that my card is still £999.95 on OC at present so I am glad I jumped in when I did. I've had 8 months gaming and saved £50 on current prices. Most of all I am glad I ditched my 3080 order. At the time I purchased they were £1200 if you could get one at all although it seems some are now available at £950 ish. There's little to choose between them and at the end of the day you've got to figure out if you want to forego a year or two's gaming in high res or VR with good performance in order to maybe save £200 on the price. For me I decided that I would pay the premium to enjoy gaming asap but YMMV.

Birdseed

Nice read that, good opinions too.

Lots are so blinded by Nvidias DLSS and Raytracing marketing, that they just don't consider AMD GPUs as being "worthy enough" when in fact they are brilliant GPUs.

Associate
Nice read that, good opinions too.

Lots are so blinded by Nvidias DLSS and Raytracing marketing, that they just don't consider AMD GPUs as being "worthy enough" when in fact they are brilliant GPUs.

They certainly are.

Remove ray tracing from the equation and the 6900XT compares very well to the 3090.

The reality is ray tracing hasn't even been that great for me personally. Not a single game has wowed me with it.

The power draw in comparison to Nvidia cards is fantastic too.

The reason I went for Nvidia is my tv only has gsync support and that's a massive factor for me.

With regards to the likes of DLSS and RSR etc I'm probably in the minority that doesn't want that push. I'd rather graphics cards were powerful enough to run the resolutions natively. I actually avoid using it when possible as I prefer the native resolution.

All those technologies are is a band aid for the fact that hardware isn't powerful enough to run at certain resolutions with raytracing.

It's great for consoles, but on PC give me more powerful hardware.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Been the case for a long time, in fact most times we debated this the cohort that pretends they are neutral a few years back would say if only AMD could compete (as in offer same raster performance, power consumption etc.) then they would buy their cards. In reality we know this seldom happens as they seem it as a risk or some inferior product so they perpetually just buy the same brand regardless.

They certainly are.

Remove ray tracing from the equation and the 6900XT compares very well to the 3090.

The reality is ray tracing hasn't even been that great for me personally. Not a single game has wowed me with it.

The power draw in comparison to Nvidia cards is fantastic too.

I think anyone with good understanding knows RT is still a gen or two away for that experience but typically when a justification has to be made for the purchase it sits comfortably knowing well I can try ray tracing as its better than AMD's (from what I noticed anyhow). I agree with your bolded point succinctly.

Last edited:
Associate
Been the case for a long time, in fact most times we debated this the cohort that pretends they are neutral a few years back would say if only AMD could compete (as in offer same raster performance, power consumption etc.) then they would buy their cards. In reality we know this seldom happens as they seem it as a risk or some inferior product so they perpetually just buy the same brand regardless.

I think the next gen of AMD cards will be very interesting.

They've made massive improvements across all their hardware and their next cards could be their zen 3 of GPU's.

Back
Top Bottom