• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
Question - What are people's expectations in relation to the price of the RTX 4000 series in the context of below:

1) Will drop this year  vs won't ever drop

2) Will reduce gradually until EOL  vs price drop annoucement leading to sudden shift

3) Ti / Super models for the 80 & 90 series will replace standard models, but at the same price levels.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Question - What are people's expectations in relation to the price of the RTX 4000 series in the context of below:

1) Will drop this year  vs won't ever drop

2) Will reduce gradually until EOL  vs price drop annoucement leading to sudden shift

3) Ti / Super models for the 80 & 90 series will replace standard models, but at the same price levels.

I don't think an official drop is imminent. They will likely see how the game bundles go first and see if that picks up sales.

The price of the latest releases shows they have no intention of dropping prices across the stack anytime soon. A meaningful price drop on one card means dropping the rest as well.

I think if they really start to see sale struggling they might do a mid life refresh at new price points late this year/early next year.

Then the 50XX series will likely come end of 2024/ start of 2025.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just read on Nvidia's website that the 4060 is releasing in July for £289. That's an absolute bargain considering the 3060 still costs more than that.

AMD will have to beat that price so the next few months are going to be exciting.

Obviously, the madness isn't over for the posh people at the high end but for the average gamer, the crazy prices are finally over.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just read on Nvidia's website that the 4060 is releasing in July for £289. That's an absolute bargain considering the 3060 still costs more than that.

AMD will have to beat that price so the next few months are going to be exciting.

Obviously the madness isn't over for the posh people at the high end but for the average gamer, the crazy prices are finally over.
Its not really a bargain though when you consider its the same specs of a 3050. infact the cuda % to the top AD102 is even less than that of the 3050 to the top GA 102 die at just 16.6% vs 23.8% which the 3050 had.

Soldato

Obviously, the madness isn't over for the posh people at the high end but for the average gamer, the crazy prices are finally over.
The 3060 still being overpriced doesn't suddenly make the 4060 a "bargain". Especially when even by Nvidia's own cherrypicked benchmark results it's barely faster and missing 4GB of VRAM compared to the 3060 too. Considering that people looking at that price tier upgrade less frequently than the enthusiasts, that 8GB of VRAM will look like an even bigger joke 2-3 years down the line. The used market is still a better option for most lower-end gamers, or a £100 RX 5700 from AliExpress and keep the change.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Except it has less vram and is barely much faster .

Doesn't seem like much of a bargain.

Soldato
The 3060 still being overpriced doesn't suddenly make the 4060 a "bargain". Especially when even by Nvidia's own cherrypicked benchmark results it's barely faster and missing 4GB of VRAM compared to the 3060 too. Considering that people looking at that price tier upgrade less frequently than the enthusiasts, that 8GB of VRAM will look like an even bigger joke 2-3 years down the line. The used market is still a better option for most lower-end gamers, or a £100 RX 5700 from AliExpress and keep the change.

Yeah a used 2080 is my backup option because I've seen them go for as low as £200. If the 4060 has a similar performance then it will be worth paying the extra for the warranty and extra features. Otherwise Nvidia can kiss my rear.

I'm actually an enthusiast myself. It's just that I'm not predudice against anything but the very best like most enthusiasts. ALL tiers of hardware gets me enthusiastic and excited.

Last edited:
Soldato
no expert. but doesnt dlss reduce vram usage, or am i wrong as usual, :cry:
It reduces VRAM usage in that it lowers the rendering resolution. If you're only rendering at 1080p instead of native 4K, then there are obviously VRAM savings made too, at least up to a point. As an example, Cyberpunk 2077 running at native 4K using the Ultra preset with RT on (not the new Overdrive mode) uses ~15GB VRAM, which is cut to ~12GB at DLSS Quality, ~10GB at Balanced and still ~10GB at Performance (suggesting ~10GB is the floor).

Of course, you also need to consider that it's essentially unplayable even on a 4080 there at 4K native with RT on, so DLSS is pretty much mandatory for a half-decent experience anyway.

Soldato
Only 5% less than the 3080 is within striking distance IMO. You don't even have to overclock it that much to match it. The price is the problem

Once the performance is known, price is the only thing left to determine if it's good or not.

Jensen can scribble whatever part number he wants on the box. What matters is what he wants from us, (price) and what the thing in the box will do for us. (performance)

Soldato
Once the performance is known, price is the only thing left to determine if it's good or not.

Jensen can scribble whatever part number he wants on the box. What matters is what he wants from us, (price) and what the thing in the box will do for us. (performance)
It’ll land about 10% slower than a 3060ti for 80 quid less.

Associate
It reduces VRAM usage in that it lowers the rendering resolution. If you're only rendering at 1080p instead of native 4K, then there are obviously VRAM savings made too, at least up to a point. As an example, Cyberpunk 2077 running at native 4K using the Ultra preset with RT on (not the new Overdrive mode) uses ~15GB VRAM, which is cut to ~12GB at DLSS Quality, ~10GB at Balanced and still ~10GB at Performance (suggesting ~10GB is the floor).

Of course, you also need to consider that it's essentially unplayable even on a 4080 there at 4K native with RT on, so DLSS is pretty much mandatory for a half-decent experience anyway.
Generally speaking, textures are the biggest vRAM using assets, not resolution of frame. In some games resolution of textures changes if you change display resolution (then you get worse textures when you turn on DLSS) but that's gladly sensibly rare - usually requires user to change that option. RT uses about 450MB max with Nvidia's example that was designed to use as much vRAM as possible with RT, hence it's not much in itself. Textures in games are already compressed as much as possible, so short of lowering their resolution (and quality by that) the only other solution is to have more vRAM. Streaming and direct storage will not help in cases where there isn't enough vRAM to render one full frame - something has to give.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom