• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the Gpu's prices will go down ?

Associate
Generally speaking, textures are the biggest vRAM using assets, not resolution of frame. In some games resolution of textures changes if you change display resolution (then you get worse textures when you turn on DLSS) but that's gladly sensibly rare - usually requires user to change that option. RT uses about 450MB max with Nvidia's example that was designed to use as much vRAM as possible with RT, hence it's not much in itself. Textures in games are already compressed as much as possible, so short of lowering their resolution (and quality by that) the only other solution is to have more vRAM. Streaming and direct storage will not help in cases where there isn't enough vRAM to render one full frame - something has to give.
Compression can always be improved just like we are getting new video compression every couple of years that usually reduces file size by half without visible image downgrade.

https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-neu...Nvidia (opens in,without any loss of quality.

Last edited:
Associate
but don't the textures need to be decompressed when in vram?
Textures are still compressed while sitting in vram.
I would also imagine that highly compressed textures will require less memory bandwidth than those using less compression so you kill 2 birds with one stone by improving it.

Associate
Yea but if you use Nvidia's deep learning compression/decompression they take up less space than native so just run them through that a few times and you'll have zero byte photo realistic files. ;)

https://forum.unity.com/threads/do-...ure is loaded,crunch compressed data on disk.

IMG-3908.jpg

Associate
Mining is dead.
Mining isn't the only concern for used GPUs. This might be irrational but I'd never buy a used GPU for gaming in case it had a HWID ban on a game I played. If the previous owner was banned on something like Warzone for example (loads of cheaters) and I played any of the recent COD games with it, I'd instantly lose access to several games linked to my Activision account and years of game progress.

Soldato
Mining isn't the only concern for used GPUs. This might be irrational but I'd never buy a used GPU for gaming in case it had a HWID ban on a game I played. If the previous owner was banned on something like Warzone for example (loads of cheaters) and I played any of the recent COD games with it, I'd instantly lose access to several games linked to my Activision account and years of game progress.
I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to get that reversed if you submitted proof of when you purchased the card regardless of it being second hand.

The same thing could happen if you bought new and had to RMA as you usually get a different card back.

Soldato
Generally speaking, textures are the biggest vRAM using assets, not resolution of frame.
Well yes, nobody said otherwise. In fact, I pointed out the floor of ~10GB where lowering resolution no longer makes a difference. But there's still a 5GB gap between rendering at 1080p (with Performance DLSS) versus native 4K in the case of Cyberpunk, which isn't insignificant in the context of how much VRAM most current cards have. It would be the difference between playable or a complete mess on cards like the 3080 or 4070 Ti, so there's certainly potential for DLSS (or FSR) to help in otherwise VRAM-starved conditions. Obviously the amount of VRAM you save is going to vary title to title, as different engines (and implementations of engines) handle things differently. I'd imagine 5GB to be on the high end. Checking a few other recent titles via TechPowerUp's coverage, the difference between 1080p and 4K VRAM usage seems to be closer to 3GB on average.

Associate
I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to get that reversed if you submitted proof of when you purchased the card regardless of it being second hand.

The same thing could happen if you bought new and had to RMA as you usually get a different card back.
Submitted proof to where? Their official policy is that permanent bans are final and can't be appealed. Even if you could somehow get your account back it's still going to be a massive faff and probably not quick.

Last edited:
Soldato
Submitted proof to where? Their official policy is that bans are final and can't be appealed. Even if you could somehow get your account back it's still going to be a massive faff and probably not quick.
Took like 5 seconds on google to find this.

I doubt there would be any issue getting it overturned if you’ve had a long-standing account with no past reprimands as the HW ID would show only the gpu being changed out and even when purchasing second hand you could still show some purchase evidence.

You’re overthinking this though, I’ve bought many used gpus over the years and never had any issues from previous owners being HW banned.

Associate
Took like 5 seconds on google to find this.

I doubt there would be any issue getting it overturned if you’ve had a long-standing account with no past reprimands as the HW ID would show only the gpu being changed out and even when purchasing second hand you could still show some purchase evidence.

You’re overthinking this though, I’ve bought many used gpus over the years and never had any issues from previous owners being HW banned.
"If your account is confirmed to be permanently banned for a violation of our Security and Enforcement Policy, it will not be overturned unless we determine the infraction was due to unauthorized activity on your Activision account."

Unless their system detects unusual account activity like logging in from another country when you were banned, then the only thing you'll get from that appeal link is a generic auto-reply stating it won't be overturned. There is no human checking the appeals.

Last edited:
Associate
Soldato
I could be wrong as IDK exactly how every single developer handle hardware ID bans but i don't think it works like that. There's nothing within the hardware that allows you to identify one card of the same model from another, AFAIK they typically create a unique hash from a collection of hardware ID's and possibly other data.

Soldato
that 8GB of VRAM will look like an even bigger joke 2-3 years down the line.

I'm going to cautiously comment because...well... reasons on this forum it seems, but I'm already struggling today, let alone few years.

Got a 3070, was playing Fallout 76 which keep in mind is what, 4 years old? I play at 1440p with a 144hz monitor. It does run more or less at 144fps, but noticed the game dropping down to maybe 90fps at times, this isn't terrible but was wondering why.

Fired up some monitoring software, video memory usage 99%......

So it's capping out on memory.

I've had this card 2 years....

Honestly pretty disappointed in Nvidia, I've never been a massive fan, outside of my 1070 which by all means is a fantastic graphics card, that one is still being used today, and also has 8gb of VRAM, but that's a 5+ year old card. Otherwise always bough ATI/AMD cards over the years and have never felt let down.

I'm already thinking about moving on because I'm clearly getting gimped by lack of memory, but GPU prices are still too high to be comfortable about forking out, again.

It won't be a Nvidia card anyway.

I'm kinda of bittersweet because I got this 3070 on a cracking deal, keeping in mind mid 2021, height of the mining thing, it wasn't the card I had wanted but it was a case of beggars can't be choosers, and I was very happy at the time, to just get anything half decent for what I paid.

Would love a 7900xt but I can't justify the cost.

Associate
I could be wrong as IDK exactly how every single developer handle hardware ID bans but i don't think it works like that. There's nothing within the hardware that allows you to identify one card of the same model from another, AFAIK they typically create a unique hash from a collection of hardware ID's and possibly other data.
I have to agree with that. I have not seen a software that can read a serial number of a GPU so I can’t see how their anti cheat system can.
If anything they might create a unique hwid from a combination of components that a particular user has like you pointed out or simply ban MAC address of network card.
All of that can be easily bypassed.
This is pc not a console and there is nothing they can do to permanently ban pc hardware.

Soldato
I'm going to cautiously comment because...well... reasons on this forum it seems, but I'm already struggling today, let alone few years.

Got a 3070, was playing Fallout 76 which keep in mind is what, 4 years old? I play at 1440p with a 144hz monitor. It does run more or less at 144fps, but noticed the game dropping down to maybe 90fps at times, this isn't terrible but was wondering why.

Fired up some monitoring software, video memory usage 99%......

So it's capping out on memory.

I've had this card 2 years....

Honestly pretty disappointed in Nvidia, I've never been a massive fan, outside of my 1070 which by all means is a fantastic graphics card, that one is still being used today, and also has 8gb of VRAM, but that's a 5+ year old card. Otherwise always bough ATI/AMD cards over the years and have never felt let down.

I'm already thinking about moving on because I'm clearly getting gimped by lack of memory, but GPU prices are still too high to be comfortable about forking out, again.

It won't be a Nvidia card anyway.

I'm kinda of bittersweet because I got this 3070 on a cracking deal, keeping in mind mid 2021, height of the mining thing, it wasn't the card I had wanted but it was a case of beggars can't be choosers, and I was very happy at the time, to just get anything half decent for what I paid.

Would love a 7900xt but I can't justify the cost.

My 3070, had a similar time, is overall ok at 1440p and also 1440p UW. Both monitors at 165hz, not a thing tho with my GPU.

With the game Transport Fever 2 I needed to drop the terrain textures from Very High...........

V-High-textures-terrain.png

V-High-Frame-Timing.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ the "glitching" stutter type effects, especially when moving, were very noticeable.

to then go to High............

High-textures-terrain.png

High-Frame-Timing.png

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ no such glitching or stuttering any more.

sometimes, if it is possible and acceptable, dropping a setting or two can help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom