• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

When the gtx590 and hd6990 out in uk?

Caporegime
Do you think the release of these new cards will have any affect on the price of existing cards? For example, even though the price difference is so huge, would we see something like the 6970 coming down in price?

I doubt it. These arent replacing anything. They are simply a whole new performance/price bracket.

Associate
Why exactly because of the cost of there gpu chips? I suppose these are enthusiast cards and although there is a demand for them it's still not a high enough number to mass produce but isn't that the same for Ati 6990?

Associate
I see the vram numbers being thrown around but you have to remember it is effectively 1.5 GB on the 590 and 2GB on the 6990, as they are SLI/crossfire solutions.

Soldato
Why exactly because of the cost of there gpu chips? I suppose these are enthusiast cards and although there is a demand for them it's still not a high enough number to mass produce but isn't that the same for Ati 6990?

Its not just the cost factor, but realistically Nvidia would have to lose money on every GTX590 sold IMO.

ATI are just in another league in terms of production. The HD6990 has a realistic pricing slot to fill, but the GTX590 slot is already filled by the GTX580.

Associate
Its not just the cost factor, but realistically Nvidia would have to lose money on every GTX590 sold IMO.

ATI are just in another league in terms of production. The HD6990 has a realistic pricing slot to fill, but the GTX590 slot is already filled by the GTX580.

Yeah I actually agree with that tbh good point. I'm torn between the 2 cards so much so I hope they stupidly price the 590 or it's always out of stock so I can make a choice lol

Soldato

Why would they lose money. If they did they wouldnt sell it

bru

bru

Soldato
Its just certain naysayers have the opinion that Nvidia must sell these GPU's at a loss, when in reality none of us have a clue how much it actually costs to make each die.

[/sarcasm] cue someone with a cost analysis of biscuits per 1000 with only X percent actually having the required amount of chocolate chips per square inch so as to be viable for "Cookies R US" to sell as their premier brand biscuits, but taking into account the cost of each cherry, that has to be strategically placed in the exact center else the biscuit can only be sold as one of the lesser quality biscuits. [/sarcasm]

Associate
OP
so let me get this staright, nvidia will only produce a limited number of gtx590's due to loss in selling them, this means that the cayman powerd antilles chip(hd6990) will win wont it? is nvidia just making this gtx590 as a final hurrah for the fermi cards?

bru

bru

Soldato
this is pure supposition, there is no evidence to support this at all.

Nvidia wont even admit to the GTX590's existence let alone give out any facts about the costing of such cards.

Associate
OP
agreed very expensive, but wasnt there leaks on the internet of the gtx590, which apparently was originally the gtx595, and i have read around ppl saying there is more info on gtx590 than 6990. is that true you guys rekon?

Permabanned
Why would they lose money. If they did they wouldnt sell it

You clearly don't know nVidia that well, that's pretty much what they did with the GTX480, and the 470 to a lesser extent. To "save face", the most powerful card is seemingly the most important thing to them. I wouldn't put it past them at all to sell something at a loss just to make sure they're perceived as "the best" by having the fastest graphics card. Even if it's actually slower than the 6990, they'll find some way to declare it as the fastest, be that skewed benchmarks using PhysX, or something completely idiotic.

Back
Top Bottom