Where did you go for your Honeymoon...?

Soldato
Kruger National Park (South Africa) for a week, then a week in Mauritius.

Personally I wish we'd stayed in SA for the whole two weeks, maurice was a bit rubbish.

Should be going back to SA for our 5th (next year) but this time we'll do the battlefields/KwaZulu Natal area.

I fell in love with the place and would move out there tomorrow if I could sort it. The things that went into that week were immense. The memories still fill me with awe.

Sitting in a landrover watching a male lion trying to "score" with his grumpy missus, about 12 feet away from us.
Having a herd of Elephant, including calves, pass between our landy and the one behind.
Seeing a leopard make a kill, and then get it mugged off it by a pack of Hyena.
Watching the landy in front get charged by an irate bull elephant.
Sitting on the grass watching wild hippo wander past about 15 feet away protected only by a slim strip of electric fence as they move out of the hotel pond to graze as the sun goes down.
Being out in a landy in the pitch black, with the searchlight picking out owls and aardvark.
Seeing the herds running as you pass over in a helicoptor on your way to a champagne mountain top picnic.
Watching a family of Rhino grazing amidst a group of Buffalo. We were probably about 20' away with the engine off, just watching. The Rhino made the buffalo look small in the same way a normal horse makes a donkey look small. Rhino are immense!

The list goes on and on, but my favourite part was finding, as the sun was going down, an old male lion with a fat belly full of food. We stopped a few feet away and watched him snoring. Then, in the distance, another lion roared and the old guy woke up, seemed mildly surprised to find a landrover full of gawking humans in front of him, then answered the call of the other lion. Hearing a fully grown, wild, male lion roar right in front of you is nothing like you hear on the TV. You only actually hear about 50% of the sound, you feel the rest rattle through your ribcage and send shivers down your back.

Soldato
San Francisco and Yosemite. Two weeks in the city with a couple of days in Yosemite in the middle.

Great place to go if you want something different to lying on a beach. We just hung out and wandered about for two weeks; Alcatraz, Golden Gate Park, Haight/Ashbury, Sausalito, the Pacific Coast, cycling across the Golden Gate Bridge, chilled cafes, great restaurants, bars and clubs, sunshine, etc etc etc

Soldato
volospian said:
Kruger National Park (South Africa) for a week, then a week in Mauritius.

Personally I wish we'd stayed in SA for the whole two weeks, maurice was a bit rubbish.

Should be going back to SA for our 5th (next year) but this time we'll do the battlefields/KwaZulu Natal area.

I fell in love with the place and would move out there tomorrow if I could sort it. The things that went into that week were immense. The memories still fill me with awe.

Sitting in a landrover watching a male lion trying to "score" with his grumpy missus, about 12 feet away from us.
Having a herd of Elephant, including calves, pass between our landy and the one behind.
Seeing a leopard make a kill, and then get it mugged off it by a pack of Hyena.
Watching the landy in front get charged by an irate bull elephant.
Sitting on the grass watching wild hippo wander past about 15 feet away protected only by a slim strip of electric fence as they move out of the hotel pond to graze as the sun goes down.
Being out in a landy in the pitch black, with the searchlight picking out owls and aardvark.
Seeing the herds running as you pass over in a helicoptor on your way to a champagne mountain top picnic.
Watching a family of Rhino grazing amidst a group of Buffalo. We were probably about 20' away with the engine off, just watching. The Rhino made the buffalo look small in the same way a normal horse makes a donkey look small. Rhino are immense!

The list goes on and on, but my favourite part was finding, as the sun was going down, an old male lion with a fat belly full of food. We stopped a few feet away and watched him snoring. Then, in the distance, another lion roared and the old guy woke up, seemed mildly surprised to find a landrover full of gawking humans in front of him, then answered the call of the other lion. Hearing a fully grown, wild, male lion roar right in front of you is nothing like you hear on the TV. You only actually hear about 50% of the sound, you feel the rest rattle through your ribcage and send shivers down your back.

Check out Southern Cape and Western Cape if you can. I have 2 properties out in Western Cape and go there at least twice a year. Driving the Garden Route and visiting all the little towns with interesting (often British) history with colorful characters is something I can do everday, all year long.

Associate
Thailand with Kuoni.
Very good service levels from the operator.
We spent 2 days/1 night in Bangkok in the Dusit Thani - it was pretty good when we went, but it's even more luxurious now.
We sipped cocktails while watching a lightening storm from the 22nd floor bar.....
Dusit Thani
Then we went to Chang Mai for 3 days - we wanted to see a lttle bit of the countryside - night market, some tours - again Kuoni came up trumps - personal mini bus and tour guide for the two of us, asking us what sort of things we wanted to see and do - temples, local villages and so on....we stayed at The Empress - fine, but not special - what it did have was a very central location, and it made a good base.

From Chang Mai we flew down south to the "relaxing" part of the holiday - Krabi.

I had learned about a luxury resort called Rayvadee - on the headland at Krabi and accessible only by boat.
All of the accomodation is in individual pavilions - there are no "hotel" sized buildings - just single story buildings for the main admin, restaurants and sports/beauty facilities.
It was stunning.
We had a pavilion with our own hydro pool, walked through queit paths to our choice of beaches, or pools, ate at night in a top class restaurant overlooking the beach and went out for a cruise in their own "junk" - the whole area is a nature reserve, so there are no motorised watersports...truly luxurious and quiet...I remember watching the monkeys on the roof of the admin block as we were having breakfast outside...
Rayavadee
We stayed there for 10 nights.

Taken back to the main land on the hotel cruiser, and flew back to Bangkok Dusit Thani for another 3 nights before flying home - little bit more time for sightseeing and visiting - and shopping.

Wonderful, and I'd be back there like a shot.

Soldato
regulus said:
Check out Southern Cape and Western Cape if you can. I have 2 properties out in Western Cape and go there at least twice a year. Driving the Garden Route and visiting all the little towns with interesting (often British) history with colorful characters is something I can do everday, all year long.

Yeah, we aim to do the lot, if we can, but the place is so damn huge that you have to either do it a bit at a time, or spend months there :)

If we can get around to it (and I can't actually arrange to go live there) we may try and do a month out there sometime doing the southern area, garden route, winelands etc. I'm trying to talk her into the blue train from Cape Town to Victoria Falls to finish (with a few days at the falls, of course), but that's damn expensive, so we'll have to see about that :D

Soldato
FISHGUTS said:
16 nights in Mauritius. I found it overpriced for what it was, prefered Jamaica and Cuba.

Where did you stay and what side of the island was it. The wife and I are looking to go to Le Mauricia in march, (we didnt have a honeymoon after our wedding). Everyone I've spoke to thats been there seems to love the island.

Associate
Dandle said:
Where did you stay and what side of the island was it. The wife and I are looking to go to Le Mauricia in march, (we didnt have a honeymoon after our wedding). Everyone I've spoke to thats been there seems to love the island.

We went to another Beachcomber property, Shandrani on the south east of the island, it's very near the airport.
I enjoyed it and it was very nice, the wild beach was fantastic but I've been to better places for the money.
Are you going all inclusive, if so be careful most of the restaurants will have a very limited all inclusive menu and to upgrade to costs a fair bit :eek:

Caporegime
Got married in the dominican and spent another 12 days there afterwards (had already been there 5 days), we could not find anywhere else in the world that offered such a holiday for such little money.

i can whole heartedly recommend the south of the island (avoid the north!), Punta Cana has had a lot more development recently as well and all the new hotels look stunning.

Man of Honour
We got married in Marylebone registry office in London, had a very quiet meal in the hotel opposite (The Landmark) with 6 guests. Then immediately got a taxi to the airport to fly to The Datai in Langkawi, Malaysia:

The Datai

We've stayed in some superb hotels throughout varios parts of Asia, including varios Aman resorts. But the Datai was far and away our favourite. It is built on the side of a hill covered in rainforest. Our villa was one of the beachside ones (still in rainforest but yards from the beach). It was amazing to watch monkeys all around us and huge monitor lizards cross our path while walking around. One of the restaurants is built in a treehouse. Absolutely loved it :)

Back
Top Bottom