Where did you go for your Honeymoon...?

Soldato
Dandle said:
Everyone I've spoke to thats been there seems to love the island.

Didn't like it myself. Nothing wrong with it, per se, but it was just not "me".

Fine if you like lounging on the beach, or watersports, I suppose, but not much else to do. We hired a car and drove around a lot, but it was just to get out of the complex, really. A lot of the roads are small and are covered in rotting sugar cane. It was an experience, but I would never go back.

Associate
Botswana

Better than SA gameparks as they have bought most animals in - Botswana has native wildlife.
The Okavango Delta is beautiful.
Vic falls is a must (from Zambezi side) - great hotel there too. Can got white water rafting too (was v'good when I did it)
Camping under the stars is cracking, mind the wildlife though!

Ultimately, I found Botswana far more chilled than SA, but he garden route is good - liked Kynsna and Hermanous Bay with the great whites. Port Elisabeth was minging. Drakensburg's were visually interesting, but Cedarburgs were more colourful (was spring) with more wildlife.

Soldato
weeble said:
Botswana

Better than SA gameparks as they have bought most animals in - Botswana has native wildlife.

OT had a friend who lived in botswana, for what he said of the place it sounded very interesting if a little unsafe.

Back OT

Went to Protaras Cyprus right in the august school hols, defiantly didnt think that one through! Though Protaras doesnt really attract the young family's and young adults, as aya napa is just up the road

Bri

Bri

Soldato
Got married & honeymooned on Paradise Island in the Bahamas nealy 18 months ago, was good we enjoyed it.

My mum & dad went to Hemel Hempstead, how random :confused:

Soldato
Tuscany. Started in Florence and then toured around. I can honestly say it's my favorite place on Earth. The scenery, the history, the architecture and the food (my god, the food) just make it miles above anywhere else I've been. Would I go back? In a heartbeat!

Associate
Flew to San Francisco, 5 days there, picked up hire car then drove down the coast to Monterey, spent a few days there then drove down to LA where we had another week. Best time ever.

Soldato
Got married in our local Church and then went on a three week honeymoon to Florida. Spent some time in Orlando, St Pete's, Miami and finished up in the Keys. Superb, and it only rained twice over the three weeks and that was only the usual thirty minute shower in the afternoon.

Soldato
weeble said:

What rot! You make SA sound like some sort of longleat Safari park. The animals in SA are every bit as "native" as those in Botswana. The Kruger National Park covers an area of 7,332 sq mi which is just slightly less than the whole of Wales. What you are saying is the same as fencing Wales of from the rest of the UK and then stating that it's wildlife is no longer "native" to the British Isles.

South Africa has chosen to fence off most of its large and dangerous wildlife -- an expensive option that perhaps Africa's richest country alone can afford.

The Mkhuze Game Reserve in KwaZulu-Natal province is a typical example. Home to leopard, elephant, rhino, buffalo, hippos and crocodiles, it is 40,000 hectares (98,800 acres) of pristine habitat cordoned off with high-voltage electric fences.

The ecological consequences of South Africa's enclosed wild spaces are a topic of endless debate, from the effect of growing elephant numbers on limited habitat to changes in predator behaviour in a restricted environment.

But the scheme has certainly reduced terrifying skirmishes between man and nature. South Africa has no free-ranging lions, buffalo, rhino or elephant.

This does not mean the country is incident-free. And as usual, it is the poor who usually bear the brunt.

A large group of lions recently broke out of a private reserve and terrorised poor communities during a cattle-killing spree. Leopards wander freely in the countryside and South Africa has unfenced populations of hippos and crocodiles just beyond the boundaries of places such as Mkhuze.

In nearby Lake St. Lucia, crocodiles snatch the odd person.

"The hippos do go onto communal farmland at night in this area and raid crops. It can be a problem," said Sizo Sibiya, Mkhuze's conservation manager.

I don't see how wildlife that are allowed to roam unfenced can be somehow "better" than wildlife that may have just been moved a few miles into a reserve. It is certainly not what makes them "native". There are no animals in the Kruger, or indeed many other SA parks, that are not native to the southern african continent. And none of those animals are "tame" in any way.

This is highlighted by the fact that when we were in the Kruger a leopard killed an 11 year old child from the Kruger village. Earlier in the day we had watched that same Leopard less than a mile outside the village as it caught prey and had it mugged by Hyenas. It then went on to kill the child. The Kruger response? Well, it's a leopard, they do that! The sign at our hotel warned that Hippos walk around the grounds at night and that the hotel cannot be held responsible for any deaths that occur.

But of course, it's not very good in SA because none of the animals are "native"! :rolleyes:

Soldato
Maldives.

Amazing, small island with a sea front villa, was perfect. Only 50 people on the island so we had our own private stretch of beach. It was 4 star acommodation, fresh flower petals laid out on the bed earch day, outside bathroom with hot tub, excellent food.
I went diving everyday, went swimming with reef sharks, rays, dolphins. It was an experience of a life time and wasnt too expensive.

If I ever get married again (now divorced) i would go back for sure.

Associate
volospian said:
What rot! You make SA sound like some sort of longleat Safari park. The animals in SA are every bit as "native" as those in Botswana. The Kruger National Park covers an area of 7,332 sq mi which is just slightly less than the whole of Wales. What you are saying is the same as fencing Wales of from the rest of the UK and then stating that it's wildlife is no longer "native" to the British Isles.

But of course, it's not very good in SA because none of the animals are "native"! :rolleyes:

Perhaps native is a poor choice of words. I have been to Kenya, Botswana, and SA, and is merely my observation of the wildlife from an ecologists point of view. In essence, they are re-stocking from other parts of Africa.

Kenyan wildlife has become so used to tourist vehicles, they don't budge. Whilst that would be great for sightseeing the big 5, I prefer having to track the animal for an hour or 2, preferably on foot.

The Botswana economy hasn't been so reliant on tourism as the other 2 countries, partly due to their diamond mines. Neighbouring Zambia and Zimbabwe are noticably poorer.

SA hunted most of their wildlife out, and when I went most of the game parks were introducing herbivorous wildlife back, with the logic the predator's would follow. Seemed to be working at the places I visited, with leopards and cerval's roaming around.

You would need a game guide wherever you went though.

I would return to Botswana given the choice, but then I prefer the more rustic environments. Cape Town is good to base yourself from SA though if you want a mix of African city/rural life.

But we both agree Africa is good ;)

Suspended
Virdi said:
Who did you go with? and could you maybe give me a rough idea on the cost?

Thanks

The cruise ship was one of the Royal Caribbean line who have the largest passenger ships afloat. Mariner of the Seas. Gigantic vessel with Ice Rink several swimming pools, roman baths etc etc.. Cost about £1200 per person (you get a free upgrade on your honeymoon ;)) plus the flights to Orlando. We booked it in the states and saved a bucket load of cash.

Back
Top Bottom