Where do I stand?

DM

DM

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;17086550 said:
No such thing as a private dealer despite those who flog cars off the driveway trying to maintain there is. You are either a trader or a private seller - and the consumer protection offered to the customer in law (Which is why most dealers simply purchase a warranty and include it in the price, to protect themselves as much as protecting you) is the same whether you are Park Lane BMW or Bob and Daz's Driveway Motas.

Sorry i wasnt clear, i meant an independent dealer, as in not a main dealer.

Permabanned
[TW]Fox;17086013 said:
Why do people buy from dealers like this?

Why do people buy Corollas !?

Perhaps the OP was looking to retire and indulge in a spot of bowls ?

Regardless, the dealer sounds a total cowboy.

Edit:- Anyway, its a fricking battery, get a decent Bosch for £20 odd at the nearest Motorfactors, swap it, enjoy your new car.

Last edited:
Caporegime
[TW]Fox;17086330 said:
He was told the car would have just one month of warranty. This is highly unusual for any car dealer, let alone a main dealer. Even the pikiest of dealers usually offers a 6 month warranty, if anything to cover themselves!

The fact they were only willing to warrant the car for a single month is unusual enough to make me nervous.

Makes me nervous too, hence my statement earlier that they are trying to get rid of a lemon sharpish !

Heres one of my local ford dealers

http://www.ringways.co.uk/ford-warranty

12 month warranty on all used cars they sell.

They are a ford/mazda/kia franchise, and even offer 12 month warranty on the P/X stuff they want to get rid of. Like toyota corrolas:

http://www.ringways.co.uk//used-car...ROLLA,14-VVT-i-Colour-Collection,AETV45795192

Soldato
I would bet that the 1 month warranty mentioned is the standard used car "1 month, money back if we cant fix it guarantee" jobby that they all give out.

Permabanned
ITs probably not a lemon at all.

Ignore the panic merchants.

They have probably made so little on it since its a part ex from another manufacturer, its easiest for them to get rid at a cut down price in the long run.

Was probably costing them money by taking up space on the forecourt.

OP needs a new battery first, and needs to forget about the "dealers" and doing anything with them in the future is going to cause more stress than its actually worth.

If the car does turn out to be a lemon, just shift it on Autotrader/ebay etc and put it down to experience.

Caporegime
ITs probably not a lemon at all.

Ignore the panic merchants.

They have probably made so little on it since its a part ex from another manufacturer, its easiest for them to get rid at a cut down price in the long run.

Was probably costing them money by taking up space on the forecourt.

OP needs a new battery first, and needs to forget about the "dealers" and doing anything with them in the future is going to cause more stress than its actually worth.

If the car does turn out to be a lemon, just shift it on Autotrader/ebay etc and put it down to experience.

thing is though is they are still bound by the sale of goods act which means that faults developed within 6 months its up to the dealer to proove they have developed since the owner bought the car.

By saying "you're on your own after 1 month" it effectively signifies they are trying to dodge their legal obligation which is shady practice.

What franchise is it ?

Soldato
If it was a lemon they'd have sent it off down the auctions. Main dealers won't want to mess around retailing a different make part ex if they think there's much wrong with it. I'd imagine it's dead tidy and they thought it would sell easily so stuck it on the forecourt.

No doubt the one months warranty is just a ruse to try and sell customers a third party product with a big margin on it.

In terms of having the car fixed, you just need to keep on at them. Poor customer service seems to be endemic in the motor industry - I don't think any garage or dealer, ever, has rung me back when they said they would!

Soldato
OP
When you take a step back and you read what some people put and how others jump on the band wagon its actually quite amusing

Its a franchised main dealer, its not a small one either its a well know one, so saying they are cowboys knocking out a banger is just scare mongery, its blatently obvious you havent a clue what you're talking about and just enjoying the ride on the band wagon.

I love how some guy is miffed at the fact that they are selling a Toyota at a Ford dealer, its not rocket science, it was a trade in, it was too good for auction so they sold on their forecourt

I actually regret making this thread, not because of reading the comments that I know wont be true because end of the day i'll get the car back and all will be well, i'm just being paranoid as usual, its for that fact that i've only been on here a fairly short time and I knew for a fact that the usual suspects would be out to post doom and gloom and I would read it and start to panic a little even though it was predictable.

However I logged out, had a think about it realised there is no point in panicing which is also thanks to the sensible posts and that all I can do is sit back and wait for my car to fixed and returned to me at which point I can crack on because lets face it, saying things like buying a toyota from a dodgy main ford dealer is just hilarious, especially if you dont even know what franchise it is and have no personal experiance what so ever of the dealer!

Last edited:
Soldato
Odds are it just needs a new battery. Simples :). But quite why it would take a dealer three days to do that?!

Not sure I like the idea of a 1-month warranty though...

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I love how some guy is miffed at the fact that they are selling a Toyota at a Ford dealer, its not rocket science, it was a trade in, it was too good for auction so they sold on their forecourt

Way to miss the point dude.
I am not miffed at all I am just surprised how dumb people are with there cash that's all.
For the record my point is If you are going to buy a Toyota from a dealer then buy it from a Toyota dealer as the aftersales is Superb, Your OP proves the aftersales at the dealer you are using is Crap otherwise they would have turned it around within 24 hours.
You say you don't know why you bothered posting & I feel the same way when I am misquoted or people are just to Ignorant to read the post Properly.

Permabanned
When you take a step back and you read what some people put and how others jump on the band wagon its actually quite amusing

Its a franchised main dealer, its not a small one either its a well know one, so saying they are cowboys knocking out a banger is just scare mongery, its blatently obvious you havent a clue what you're talking about and just enjoying the ride on the band wagon.

I actually regret making this thread, not because of reading the comments that I know wont be true because end of the day i'll get the car back and all will be well, i'm just being paranoid as usual, its for that fact that i've only been on here a fairly short time and I knew for a fact that the usual suspects would be out to post doom and gloom and I would read it and start to panic a little even though it was predictable.

However I logged out, had a think about it realised there is no point in panicing which is also thanks to the sensible posts and that all I can do is sit back and wait for my car to fixed and returned to me at which point I can crack on because lets face it, saying things like buying a toyota from a dodgy main ford dealer is just hilarious, especially if you dont even know what franchise it is and have no personal experiance what so ever of the dealer!

If you are desperate and they are useless, replace the battery and (when it fixes the problem) go in with the invoice, ask for them to pay, and quote your rights as a consumer if you need to.

Im just thinking of the least stress for you here really. Some of these places, even the ones with a supposedly good repuation, can be so hard to deal with.

Caporegime
he's only in a position to demand a refund or repair.

He cant demand which they offer him. As they have offered to collect the car and repair it, they are fulfilling the obligations legally and with the warranty.

Soldato
OP
Ok heres an update for the interested, which is interesting, an interesting update for the interested

It was looked at yesterday, its just that guy who I spoke to this morning didnt know this, it was charged overnight and the battery didnt hold its charge, new battery was ordered, supplied and fitted today, the car is ready to be picked up. My paranoid mind tells me if there is an underlying problem then it will drain the new battery and thats when I start to ask for my money back, if that doesnt happen then happy days and may many years of happy motoring follow

Speculation is bad, mmm'kay.

Back
Top Bottom