Where do I stand?

Caporegime
Ok heres an update for the interested, which is interesting, an interesting update for the interested

It was looked at yesterday, its just that guy who I spoke to this morning didnt know this, it was charged overnight and the battery didnt hold its charge, new battery was ordered, supplied and fitted today, the car is ready to be picked up. My paranoid mind tells me if there is an underlying problem then it will drain the new battery and thats when I start to ask for my money back, if that doesnt happen then happy days and may many years of happy motoring follow

Speculation is bad, mmm'kay.

well its no surprise it didnt hold its charge

thats why when you left it over the weekend it went flat and wouldnt start. With any luck a new battery should be all that it needs.

Soldato
OP
well its no surprise it didnt hold its charge

thats why when you left it over the weekend it went flat and wouldnt start. With any luck a new battery should be all that it needs.

That is the only thing that is throwing me slightly, it was fine on Saturdau when I went gym, it was fine after the gym for driving home

All I can think of was the battery wasnt being charged and it was just using what ever was left until the point where there wasnt enough to kick the starter motor

That can only mean two things, duff alternator or duff battery. They say its the battery and I hope it is, I honestly cant see a 47k mile 5 year old jap car needing an alternator, its not unheard of obviously, its just unlikely

Thanks though, I have my fingers crossed

Soldato
OP
Got it back, all seems well, even risked a visit to a pub in the middle of no where, how brave am I.

However

The front splitter has a scrape that wasnt there before! I noticed it as soon as I picked it up but I was fuming and the guy was on the phone so I just left when I should have stayed and pointed it out. Not sure what to do about it now, should I just leave it or chase them to get it sorted?

Caporegime
That can only mean two things, duff alternator or duff battery. They say its the battery and I hope it is, I honestly cant see a 47k mile 5 year old jap car needing an alternator, its not unheard of obviously, its just unlikely

Thanks though, I have my fingers crossed

If the alternator is failing to supply sufficent voltage / current to the battery won't the battery light come on the dash telling you the battery is discharging?

Its either a duff battery or you have an electric drain in the system, something like a broken glovebox switch will do this.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;17093887 said:
You saw it yet... still accepted the car?

Yea good luck.

Trust me, it was walk away or kill someone, there was no way I was keeping my temper in check after the day that I had yesterday

I'm not too bothered, would be nice if they did it, if not there is a web in the paint on the back bumper that I intend to get done and i'll just get the front splitter done at the same time

If the alternator is failing to supply sufficent voltage / current to the battery won't the battery light come on the dash telling you the battery is discharging?

Its either a duff battery or you have an electric drain in the system, something like a broken glovebox switch will do this.

They tested the alternator (apparently)

As for a potential drain, only time will tell

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Spoke to the GM today about the front splitter being damaged whilst in for the battery swap and its going to be repaired and painted and i'll have a courtesy car whilst its being done

Happy days

PS can I just say Fox, in a friendly way, maybe take a look at the way you put some things across, as they seem quite defeatist and in most cases with these things, its impossible to tell the outcome in any given situation, you almost put me off contact them to get this work done

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Tbh you left the garage knowing the issue was there, im surprised there going along with the repair.

Well they are, they can check their CCTV if they like, regardless its going ahead, I was lucky

I dont disagree, I should have done something about it there and then, but i've already explained why I didnt

Soldato

Most likely a duff battery, as if it were the alternator the light would be on as you say.

They don't like being sat for a while unused.

Soldato
OP

The saga continues

So I drop my car off this morning, it was arranged a week and a half ago, I arrived at exactly 8:30am as discussed.
The service desk guy has no booking for me so I have to wait for the sales guy to come in, by 9:00am he comes to collect me by now its blatently obvious to me that they have not arranged this properly and have had to pull a car out of the showroom, to my epic delights its a 2010 Ford KA with delivery miles, oh the joys. By now i'm in a hurry as running late for the agreed time with work so I jump in it, get onto the dual carriageway and realise the fuel light is on

So now i'm driving a Ford KA for the next couple of days and I had to put fuel in it, also whilst I was waiting I noticed a sign that said courtesy cars are ten pounds a day admin fee! Yeah right!!! I'm looking forward to them asking me for that

I might request some fuel for all the incoveniance? If not at least my splitter will be repaired and a scuff on the underside of the splitter that was already there will also be painted [/brightside]

DM

DM

Permabanned
Sod the tenner a day but the fuel is down to you.

Saying that mind, you should stop rushing off and clarify things like the tenner a day before leaving.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most places I know say £10 per booking of a courtesy car not per day. Covers insurance or something.

Fuel is up to you, I'd be a tad miffed but only because I'd have to go straight to a petrol station. End of the day throw £10 and should do you for long enough.

Soldato
jesus christ.... firebomb the dealer. theyve added no value to your car buying experience at all

should have got an old golf ;) (just playing)

Back
Top Bottom