Where to buy first used bike?

Associate
OP

I dunno man... the Yamaha is 10 years newer, still hasn't even had its first MOT yet, has had roughly 20K less miles on it but it is Cat N with minor scuffs. It is £800 more but it does look a lot better... I'm just not convinced I'd really be saving much when it comes to sell time, looking at their older MT 125s they dont really go down much in value

Associate
OP
Don't forget the kit! Don't want to scrimp on that - I'd budget at least 120 for a lid, 200 for a textile set, 30-50 for gloves and maybe 100 for boots.

Damn do you know where I should look for the gear? Do you need boots? How do people commute to work everyday do they have to change their clothes that often lol

Soldato
Damn do you know where I should look for the gear? Do you need boots? How do people commute to work everyday do they have to change their clothes that often lol

For the lid - buy new, never second hand! Sportsbikeshop are brilliant with kit, but you can get lids off of eBay - just make sure they're new! The rest of the kit you could source on eBay second hand - though you lose the ability to try before you buy.

Getting kitted up and changed at work is a faff, I won't lie, but you dress for the slide and not the ride. So if you value your body, and life, then you will work through the hassle of having to get changed at your destination. It's a bit naff this time of year imo, as I have to pack both wet weather and dry weather kit - as my WP (waterproof) gloves get a tad too warm when it's dry and over 10 degrees - but I ride with a rucksack.

Boots are optional - if you're not going to get motorcycle boots, you must ride in sturdy ankle boots - in fact, my CBT place required that! But proper motorcycle boots will offer the best protection in a crash, and from the elements if WP ones - I think mine cost £60 from Amazon; they're "Black" (that's the brand) somethingorothers.

Soldato
Yea second sportsbikeshop they are really good.

I have a new helmet on the way myself from them, my current one is 6-7 years old now. Also picked up some armour pads for my Kevlar jeans.

Man of Honour
Biking is not cheap, anyone that says otherwise has never actually done it.

It's bargain basement when it comes to price vs performance though.

Soldato
Biking is not cheap, anyone that says otherwise has never actually done it.

It's bargain basement when it comes to price vs performance though.

I dunno, I reckon it's cheap once you got started out. If you can service your own bike. It depends on where you live but I pay about £80 a year insurance, tax is cheap, oil, oil filter, every year, air filter every other year.

Tyres though, give you that, they are expensive, and definitely not something to cheap out on.

Man of Honour
I dunno, I reckon it's cheap once you got started out. If you can service your own bike. It depends on where you live but I pay about £80 a year insurance, tax is cheap, oil, oil filter, every year, air filter every other year.

Tyres though, give you that, they are expensive, and definitely not something to cheap out on.
I suppose it depends on your millage as well, for me it's oil and filter every 2-3 months, air filter every 6ish, tyres now I'm on an 1100 will be a rear every 6 months if I'm lucky and maybe a front and rear every 12.

Mostly though it's that initial layout and then that extra layout when you find out doing decent mileage in that cheaper kit you bought initially is grim.

Again servicing is only cheap if you're prepared to get your hands dirty or else I'd have spent thousands on labour charges in my 5 years riding again due to your mileage I've done.

Soldato
I suppose it depends on your millage as well, for me it's oil and filter every 2-3 months, air filter every 6ish, tyres now I'm on an 1100 will be a rear every 6 months if I'm lucky and maybe a front and rear every 12.

Damn....thats is pretty extreme though :)

I had to retire one of mine recently - it was coming up to 9 years old.... oops!

Yeah easily done. I noticed mine on Saturday once up to speed really moving around on my head where the lining foam etc is worn. Was probably overdue a year, but nevermind Im still here :)

To the OP, a bike like a Honda CG provided you looked after it would outlast any of us. But at the end of the day its your money you need to be happy with the bike, and I cannot argue against ABS it really is a good thing to have, something more and more going forward I think i should probably look to change my bike, unfortunately I have just had to buy a new car so that is on hold for a while.

Man of Honour
Damn....thats is pretty extreme though :)
It is, but it's a good comparison in terms of a car. normally bikes are cheaper in large parts because they don't do anywhere near the mileage people would do in their cars whereas I've been knocking on the door of roughly 15k miles a year.

Associate
OP
What helmets did you guys get? How much did you spend?

That shop you linked to has 500 helmets lol

I am willing to spend a fair bit on a life time leather jacket that I can also wear out and about

Any recommendations for gear and pants? Any kind of jeans I can wear whilst at work

Soldato

I am willing to spend a fair bit on a life time leather jacket that I can also wear out and about

Any recommendations for gear and pants? Any kind of jeans I can wear whilst at work

I just paid either £150/£160 (can't remember) on that helmet.

With helmets some of it is personal choice. I prefer a full face helmet, I don't like the flip up ones, plus they add weight, but I do like an internal sun visor and fog shield.

Helmets have come down in price significantly since I last got one which is good news, even the Arai helmets are much less than they were.

As for bike trousers, hmmm, you really got 3 main categories, leather, textile or bike jeans.

Leather is probably the best protection, but probably the most uncomfortable, non-practical for anything else. The more money you spend the better they are for comfort but be prepared to pay a lot for a good pair.

Textiles are also good for safety, perhaps slightly more practical for walking around etc (you wouldn't want to wear them all day at work though), they are also cheaper, but tend to be bulky.

Bike jeans - probably worst for safety, although still much better than just regular jeans, they will have double/triple stitching, and are generally lined with Kevlar/aramid (same ****) and also some kind of heat resistant layer. You can also get armour pads for jeans. You potentially could wear a pair of bike jeans all day, walk around etc. You got no waterproofing though.

One thing to check is you can zip your trousers and jacket together. Most will have s short type (8 inch) zip that goes on the small of your well worth doing and something a lot of people overlook.

Soldato
Yeah easily done. I noticed mine on Saturday once up to speed really moving around on my head where the lining foam etc is worn. Was probably overdue a year, but nevermind Im still here :)

What really annoyed me, is that the lid felt fine - the pads and interior were still supportive and clean, it's just the manufacture date was a long time ago! Can't afford to spend 400+ on lids any more, so went from that awesome Shoei XR-1100 to a Shark D-SKWAL, which is actually pretty decent for 120 quid.

Soldato
What really annoyed me, is that the lid felt fine - the pads and interior were still supportive and clean, it's just the manufacture date was a long time ago! Can't afford to spend 400+ on lids any more, so went from that awesome Shoei XR-1100 to a Shark D-SKWAL, which is actually pretty decent for 120 quid.

Yea my current very soon to be replaced is a shark vision R and I love it. I've gone for a Nexx Toxic in black, think it was £150-£160.

You won't go wrong with a shark helmet though.

Soldato

I'll probably be mirroring what BUDFORCE has already added - but here's my take nonetheless:

Look at the Sharp (iirc) rating of lids - you will often find that lids in the £100-150 range, often out perform some of the premium offerings - though those manufacturers often come back with arguments as to why the Sharp rating is wrong etc etc. But a decent AGV or Shark lid can be purchased for around the 150 mark - I would [personally] steer well clear of the £60-80 jobbies found in Halfords mind.

A full face lid is always best, yes you have to take it off at some petrol stations, but it's no big deal really. And lids have come on in leaps and bounds these days - the weight of my 120 quid Shark, is the same as my 400 odd quid Shoei from years back - the Shark also has an integrated visor, so there's no need to purchase a separate dark tine visor - but I did, as I'm a ponce :D

You really should find somewhere to try a lid on - you want to measure the crown of your head to get the size - I'm a Small at 56cm, there's youtube videos on the subject anyway. But you want to get the lid on, do the strap up, then give it a good pull up/down/left/right - you don't want the lid to slip around on your head; as that indicates it is too big. It might be a tight fit initially, but bear in mind that the pads will 'give' over time as it sculpts to your head shape. It's hard to describe, so watch some videos and ask the shop to help - you can find a lid you like, then order it elsewhere online :p

If you plan to ride year round, I wouldn't bother with leather - it is water repellent to a degree, but eventually soaks and takes an age to dry out - the dye will also stain your clothes and skin! Your best bet to cover all bases, would be textiles - I recently updated my jacket and got a Furygan Titan for £150, though later found the store (megamotorcyclestore) had dropped it to 100! It's easily the best textile item I have purchased - nice and warm with the liner (good for 5 degrees and below), warm without the liner (for 5 degrees and up), and water just beads off it. It has zip vents too, so will be good in the summer months I suspect.

Textile trousers don't have to be the same brand - mine are really old (coming up to 12 years now!) Frank Thomas ones - they zip together with most other jackets, and have served me will over the years. I think I paid £120 for them way back when, but you could probably pick up a much more modern pair for 60-100.

Leather typically will offer the best protection, but cow leather can take a while to break-in, so will be uncomfortable for a while - if it's a "two piece" then you also get the added discomfort of the zip area and the extra leather associated with it. A "one piece" is far more comfortable, but quite impractical - especially when you need a poo! I personally wouldn't use my one piece to commute in, as it's just extra faff imo. Kangaroo leather was/is the best leather, as it's softer and easier to break-in, but often comes with a decent premium to it - I was lucky to get my old suit for £250 new, as it later shot up to £600 :D

I have both a two piece and one piece (well two, as a crashed set is in the loft :D) - I will wear them for the more 'spirited' pleasure rides.

Motorcycle jeans and a leather jacket are my go to combo for a lazy pleasure ride, summer commute, or if I'm meeting friends or family for lunch - the jeans were £120 from Triumph, and I spent an extra £30 getting the hip protectors. They are really comfortable, have decent knee protection, but I wouldn't like to wear them in the rain - they might be sower proof, but will likely get soak in an downpour. I would wear these jeans at work though, but I'd need to take out the knee and hip armor to have all day comfort - easy enough as they are slotted into pockets internally.

But I still think textiles are the way to go for commuting - you can wear your work gear underneath them, and just slip them off when you get to work, like superman!

Soldato
Yea my current very soon to be replaced is a shark vision R and I love it. I've gone for a Nexx Toxic in black, think it was £150-£160.

You won't go wrong with a shark helmet though.

It has impressed me actually - only thing that's a bit guff is the ventilation :( The chin vent seems to do nothing, and the head vent only lets a small amount of air through. I was spoiled though - the old XR1100 had six vents on the head section alone!

Also....

Like I told my last wife, I said "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see.
Besides that, it's all in the reflexes."

Best film ever :D

Soldato
I've just been through all of this last week.

CBT - £125
2017 Yamaha YBR - £1250
Tax - £20
Insurance - £250
Breakdown - £30
Chain, 2x Disklocks, Cover - £230
Clothes - £460

Total = ~£2400

More expensive than I was expecting as well, but the kit will last ages.

For the helmet, I would say get something with an anti-fog coating, or have a Pinlock ready visor. I got an MT Thunder 3, but the Shark helmets look better for the price.

Soldato
Check out the Nolan n87 range . Come with flip down sun visor and comes with a pinlock which more expensive helmets dont.. and often charge £40 for . Its also setup for an intercom . Great quality and if you shop about can be had for £100ish . Been using Nolan/Xlite for a while now and really rate them . Also like the mid tier AGC .

Soldato
Damn... I've just realized the total costs for a first bike is a hell of a lot.. at this point I'm thinking about just getting a cheap car lol.

Bike: 2,000
Insurance: 400
CBT: 90
A2 Course: 500

I'm looking at least 3K for my first bike
Reference figures for a couple of years ago, my CBT was £120, insurance was £550 for the first year, and my DAS was £800 or so. Kit on top was around £800, but you wouldn't have to spend that.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I've just been through all of this last week.

CBT - £125
2017 Yamaha YBR - £1250
Tax - £20
Insurance - £250
Breakdown - £30
Chain, 2x Disklocks, Cover - £230
Clothes - £460

Total = ~£2400

More expensive than I was expecting as well, but the kit will last ages.

For the helmet, I would say get something with an anti-fog coating, or have a Pinlock ready visor. I got an MT Thunder 3, but the Shark helmets look better for the price.

What do you think of this SHARK for £120 https://www.helmetcity.co.uk/shark-skwal-flynn-kab-sale/

I like the look of this better https://www.helmetcity.co.uk/shark-drak-stripe-mat-kwk-1-xs-left/

Back
Top Bottom