Where to buy first used bike?

Soldato

I have one like the first - just without the LEDs:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/314426

The second one you link to, are pretty naff in the flesh - I'd also not rate the face mask on impact. Yes it looks cool, and yes I have considered getting one myself - they just feel **** when I have tried them on.

Soldato
Associate
OP
Should never buy a lid second hand - you don't know if it's been dropped. It's the advice my instructor always gave.

OK thats fine he says it hasnt but better to be safe. Also by dropped do you mean crashed? Can dropping it from ur hand make a difference lol

What kind of maintenance would I need to learn for my 125? Oil change, filter change, brake pads? Chain or sprocket change? Where should I look for parts and buying the right tools and motorbike centre.

What sort of things should I inspect on the bike? Oil level, chain sprockets?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah my instructor said the same thing, always buy new from somewhere reputable.

OK thats fine he says it hasnt but better to be safe. Also by dropped do you mean crashed? Can dropping it from ur hand make a difference lol

I asked my instructor the same thing, and although he said a small drop is *probably* ok, how can you tell? Short of scanning it (which definitely wouldn't be economical), you can't. Even if you have a little slip on the bike, bump your head but not very hard, and there doesn't seem to be any damage when you look.. it's a new helmet time. You don't want to risk testing the integrity of the helmet with something that 'should be ok' for the sake of £100, especially when it's your head/brain we're talking about.

So my instructor said, don't store it somewhere it could drop (i.e. a shelf), and don't place it on something that could be nudged off when you're just about to put it on, or have to take it off for a brief moment (i.e. on the bike seat). Put it on the ground if you can't carry it.

Soldato

What kind of maintenance would I need to learn for my 125? Oil change, filter change, brake pads? Chain or sprocket change? Where should I look for parts and buying the right tools and motorbike centre.

What sort of things should I inspect on the bike? Oil level, chain sprockets?

Sorry for the late reply - been away!

My instructor always said that a drop from a few feet, could be enough to compromise you lid - the thing to remember, is that in the event of an accident; you need your lid to perform at 100% - if a drop has caused any issues you won't be getting the best. It's probably an arse-covering exercise really, as I personally doubt that dropping your lid form [say] knee height will kill it - but why take the risk?

Skills to learn - just the basic stuff within the manual should suffice - most have a section on the daily/weekly checks and most shouldn't require any tools. Stuff like checking your oil level and topping it up, tyre pressures, checking chain slack, coolant levels, brake fluid levels etc. A reasonable set of spanners, allen keys, a torque wrench and associated bit for you nuts (ooh err) will cover the vast majority of DIY work on the bike - a foot pump and separate tyre pressure gauge (Draper do a decent non-digital one) will allow you to keep your pressures on point too.

A bike stand is optional - but will make cleaning, checking and adjusting your chain a doddle! As for changing components, you might not need to if you only have the bike a couple of years (assuming you get bored of a 125) - providing it is coming with decent history and the pads and chain/sprocket are ok; though that depends on your mileage. But these are skills you can easily teach yourself, though you will need the correct tools for the job - pads are normally a few bolts and out they come, oil and filter are just a case of draining into something suitable (you have to dispose at a council tip) - then fitting a new crush washer on the drain plug, and getting the old filter off can be achieved by stabbing a screwdriver though it to turn (unless it has a notch to spanner it off). Chain and sprockets are a bit more involved and will need the rear wheel off, a chain breaker/riveter, and replacement locking shim (for the front).

Get yourself signed up to forums for the bike too - there will be plenty of advice on there, same goes for YouTube videos, though just be wary of some of the things people do on them (like crappy mods!). I'd also suggest signing up to forums before-hand, as you will be able to ask owners for advice on the model you are interested in. You'll also be able to get advice on what to check for when you go to look at a bike - you can take printouts then, and check through the items to look for - but bear in mind, it is going to be second hand, so not perfect!

Soldato
I bought online as the choice locally was very limited, i bought my Yamaha WR125R from a chap in Newcastle on autotrader and my Honda CRF rally on ebay from a bloke in Norwich.

I paid over £3300 for my 125 as it was almost brand new but it got nicked and i got the insurance money so didn't have to worry about finding a buyer and maybe taking a big loss on it.

Had both of them shipped to me in the west of Scotland, maybe i got lucky but i had zero problems with the sellers and the couriers kept me updated with phone calls and texts letting me know the ETA.

Back
Top Bottom