Where to get nice steaks from?

Associate
Grab a small vacuum sealer. Seal them individually and then leave them in the fridge. They last for ages.

Still don't taste the same to me they are too dry and lose juices once cooked.
You can see the difference when you rest the steak after cooking all the juice has drained from the steak.
I've even tried Donald Russell flash frozen/vacuum sealed steaks but they are same.

Soldato
I find tesco steaks too hit and miss, you might get lucky and get a good one but there is a chance of getting a crap one too. As others have said find a good local butcher, that's where I get mine and have never got a bad steak.

Associate
My favourite steak is skirt; aka 'Bavette' in french. here it's an off cut, but if you like your steak blue, try to get some nice thick skirt, clean it up an have it on the grill. Fantastic texture and taste.

Oh, and remember to age your meat. I always ask my meat to be vac packed, and keep it into a larder fridge in my garage for a couple weeks before eating it. Same applies to lamb, pork etc.

Soldato
Costco, big pack, 4 or 5 big steaks for £25ish. Properly thick cut steak too, none of this 'thick cut but only 1cm thick still' supermarket nonsense.

Soldato
pubs generally have nice steak, what......

http://www.turnerandgeorge.co.uk/the-cuts/steaks.html

and then cook them right, which requires extremely high heat imo, if i'm spending the money for a nice steak i'll do it on the bbq.

Any idea who Turner and George use for delivery? My last favourite online place (Market Porter) have now been blacklisted by me as they use Yodel. Last time I ordered from them £120 of steak was wasted as Yodel still hadn't delivered after 4 days (bearing in mind the packages are only meant to last 48 hours!).

Man of Honour
Any idea who Turner and George use for delivery? My last favourite online place (Market Porter) have now been blacklisted by me as they use Yodel. Last time I ordered from them £120 of steak was wasted as Yodel still hadn't delivered after 4 days (bearing in mind the packages are only meant to last 48 hours!).
i cant remember, haven't ordered in just over a year :(, no freezer space atm.

Soldato
Reading the first 30+ posts wondering why no one has mentioned Aldi and then a bus load of people do at the same time :p I do 90% of my food shopping in Aldi and steaks are no exception. Learn to cook them properly and you'll loathe paying £15-20 for a steak dinner in a pub when you can do it at home (with a pint) for about £6

Caporegime
I'm a fan of the salting and refrigerating uncovered over night method.

I do this, you end up with a nice dry outer layer that crusts up beautifully without needing to overcook, and the steak is full of flavour.

Most restuarant steaks are also heavily influenced by a marinade/baste, I'm a fan of Steers (South African brand) steak marinade on cheaper cuts.

Associate
You do realise all the flavour is in the fatty bits and that a steak without any fat would be pretty much tasteless?

But to answer your question find a proper local butcher. They will cut you any size piece of steak you want. Clearly your local butcher isnt very good. Even my local supermarket which has a butchers counter will cut your a steak to your liking.

Hmm, have you every tried eye fillet?? Its pretty much devoid of any fat and is one of the leanest cuts there is. It also tastes fantastic (in my opinion). I buy all my steak from a butcher i trust. I never buy supermarket steak anymore

Associate

Turner and George use DPD (so good IMO as you get an hour delivery slot)

Most recent order was 2 weeks ago got some massive bone in ribeyes. Bought 2x400G and got 2x550G! Got some pork belly, sausages and chuck roast too.

Caporegime
Hmm, have you every tried eye fillet?? Its pretty much devoid of any fat and is one of the leanest cuts there is. It also tastes fantastic (in my opinion). I buy all my steak from a butcher i trust. I never buy supermarket steak anymore

I'd argue that fillets really need rubs/marinades/sauces, whereas sirloins and ribeyes can just be cooked in their own fat and still be flavourful.

Man of Honour
filet, why do people waste their money on it, its like all the people who buy chicken breasts over thigh. Not only is it th least tastey its massively expensive.

there's only a few good recipes for fillet and thats where is or as close to raw as possible.

Caporegime
Skirt if cooked properly is fantastic. Here in the US it is often served in mexican places, marinaded in lime juice and some light spices, chargrilled. Very good value.

For regular steak I get the USDA prime ribeye form Costco. Not cheap, about $60 for 3 large/4 medium steaks. But just 1 of them big steak would be $50-70 in a good steak place, typically without a single side, just a steak on the plate! These days for me it is more about quality than quantity. A good ribeye and an expensive bottle of red wine every now and then as a treat.

Back
Top Bottom