Associate
OP
8OqT1Ko.jpg
here's what I'm looking at now
8OqT1Ko

uQqSFPO.jpg

Associate
OP
Don't think it is. Plugged an old extension cable (Definitely switched off the elec at the fuse box before attaching cables) into it to test and no joy.

What can I do now? Would really like it live!

sh6bDn3.jpg

Associate
If it was part of a ring main there would be two cables - as there is only one it might be a spur from another socket which may have been disconnected. If you can find a nearby socket with 3 cables and one of them disconnected then that's probably the one.
Edit: I can't see a back box for a socket. Are you sure it is/was a mains socket?

Associate
OP
You're right, there's no back box and I'm not sure it was a mains socket.

I've checked all the wires going into the connector and there's nothing visibly wrong with them.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help so far

Soldato
You're right, there's no back box and I'm not sure it was a mains socket.

I've checked all the wires going into the connector and there's nothing visibly wrong with them.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help so far
I know its a long shot but are you 100% sure the extension worked before you connected it?

By "not sure if it was a mains socket" do you mean it might have been an extension (plugged in else where)? If you cant find any where to plug it in then Im afraid it is either floorboards up or holes in the ceiling below to track the wire. Just a thought are there any spare connections at your consumer board that it might have been disconnected from?

Associate
OP
The 4-way extension cable I used to test it is definitely working. The wire in the wall however, I have no idea.

Soldato
Get a non-contact voltage pen. Flip the breaker and hang it over it. See if it lights up :) I don't trust them much but use them every now and then and they're always pretty good :)

I use a LAP one as it was given to me FOC from screwfix

Soldato
Assuming this is an upstairs room, and that cable looks like it heads upwards, if you have an accessible loft then you might be able to trace at least the location at which the cable sources from. Once you have found the source you will know if you are able to reconnect it or not.

What do you want the sockets to be used for? are you hoping for wardrobe lights or something a bit more heavy duty?

Associate
OP
I think the cable's heading down and is directly above the main fuse box for the house.

I just need the socket for wardrobe lights because the only other sockets are the other side of the room!

Soldato
Are your wires exposed outside of the fuse box (consumer unit). If so try to guess which wire it might be and check if any connections are turned of at the unit. if you can see exposed cable outside the unit it might be worth getting a non-contact voltage pen and having a look/test of those wires to see if any are off.

Or just get some battery lights.

Soldato
Has the house been rewired in the past? The cable you have is the old wiring code colours. If so that cable will likely be dead.

Associate
follow the previous advise of looking in near by sockets

Its a spur of something else, probably another socket, you might be able to find the other end of the cable disconnected in the there.

Failing that lift and boards that has obviously been lifted before and have a look.

Back
Top Bottom