• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Wheres todays best bang for the bucks?

Soldato
Its all very confusing for someone who swore off an upgrade from my 1070ti until prices got sensible again, but right now, where the best bang for your buck of your looking for an upgrade from a 1070ti?

So just asking your opinion, if I can buy any card up to about £650, where do I put my money? I can see the advantage of sitting on a 7900 and saving the cash for a good improvement, or going all out on a future proof 4070 and rebuilding my system. Or do I wait?

I suppose its a how long is a piece of string question, but interested in any takes.

Last edited:
People rate HUB (depending on topic....) for their cost per perf.

At that price range, no-brainer to go with 4070 though imo.

- better efficiency
- better dlss support and quality (which you will be using whether you like it or not with gpus in this price range at 1440/4k)
- frame generation
- superior rt grunt
- cuda if you need it
- better streaming and recording capabilities if that's your thing

Last edited:
The high-end 68/69 cards are reasonable prices, 6950 XT is the best currently, I think. 7900 XT is a fair chunk faster than a 4070, which is worth it for long-term 1440UW/4K, but the 4070 does have the best power efficiency, especially compared to RDNA 2 @ stock. I wouldn't want to buy anything less than a 6800 non-XT for your budget.

I'm trying to decide between a 4070 and a 7900XT myself.

For your budget, if you want to buy a card now, then the 4070 IMO.

But it is a shame it doesn't have 16GB.

I'd put my money on the rx6600 at £180 from OCuk being the best bang for buck right now. With the 1070 sale, should allow an acceptable stop gap performance. Then see how the prices play out towards the next months. But we've just literally had AMD discounts on the 6*** cards, so those won't be dropping much again for a while.

I wouldn't touch anything Nvidia with a barge pole right now, 4070 is far from good. I'd also not want to spend £650 on most of the cards available from any brand that has short warranties and/or bad customer repair services.

Its all very confusing for someone who swore off an upgrade from my 1070ti until prices got sensible again, but right now, where the best bang for your buck of your looking for an upgrade from a 1070ti?

So just asking your opinion, if I can buy any card up to about £650, where do I put my money? I can see the advantage of sitting on a 7900 and saving the cash for a good improvement, or going all out on a future proof 4070 and rebuilding my system. Or do I wait?

I suppose its a how long is a piece of string question, but interested in any takes.

^.... That's where I would put my money on a GPU right now.

That is best bang for your money right now and anyone saying anything else is well living in dream land if they think 12GB will be enough in the near future. Also depends what resolution you game at and if its 1440p and up well 16GB is the real level of VRAM you should be buying and not even looking at other cards sadly.

The GPU market is a huge mess right now and doesn't look like it will get better as we have seen with recent releases from Nvidia and AMD both really still think they can get away with silly prices for 1080p 8GB cards.

The RX6700XT is getting closer to £300 and apparently can be had for under £300 after cashback. It is around twice the rasterised performance of a GTX1660 Super:

Your GTX1070TI is around 12% faster than a GTX1660 Super:

Edit!!
Here are the details of the cashback:

If it all works you can get an RX6700XT for £285 apparently.

Last edited:
Hi there

OcUK has some deals:

7900 XTX @ £989
7900 XT @ £749
6950 XT @ £579
6800 XT @ £519
6800 @ £449
6750 XT @ £389
6700 XT @ £339
7600 @ £259
6650 XT @ £239
6600 @ £199

A pretty solid lineup from AMD and the older 6xxx are good value for money.

Last edited:
6950 XT, no idea why the 6800 XT is close in price.

Because 6950 XT is bigger discount and is now on last stock so that one will cease to exist in coming weeks. At which point the 6800 XT around £500 will have no competition, but right now 6950 XT sub £600 is best deal, but very limited stock wise now.

I bought a Powercolor Red Devil 6950XT so obviously I think that's the best buy in that price range. Great rasterization performance, 16GB VRAM, good cooling, dual BIOS and easy to tweak with AMD Adrenaline software. I don't use any of the Nvidia software features so that's moot.

If you don't need or want the Nvidia features then it's a great GPU. It will use more power but for the number of hours a week I game it's neither here nor there. I was running it on a good quality 750W PSU but do have a 1000W now, no issues with either.

Back
Top Bottom