Which 24" would you advise? S-PVA or S-IPS?

Man of Honour
Vista?

Just as a note, if I uninstall the nvidia driver and reboot then shutdown windows with no display driver then monitor enters DPMS mode perfect but if you try it with a display driver installed then it doesn't work!

Defo a Vista support issue methinks and we can confirm this if you are using Vista!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi mrk,

my firmware is 2.02c as well. Additionally the logic board in mine is version 3.2 (don't know if you can get at that without taking the back off).

You are correct that if you get rid of the nVidia driver (which forces the os to use the VGA Graphics Adapter driver) it will go into DPMS fine. I don't know if this is because it bypasses the I2C bus on the card and just cuts the signal instead? Strange that it also has problems with my mac mini as that's an ATI radeon chip IIRC. I think the current batch of logic boards may have a small problem. They introduced them because the last version sometimes made the screen display a funny colour when starting up (but operation was fine) - made some people complain about the monitor.

I must add to people thinking about the Hazro that they are working on this issue, and even if they couldn't fix it I'd keep the monitor - I hardly ever rely on standby mode anyway, I've always been in the habit of turning monitors off when I get up from the computer to do something else. Plus I was damn impressed someone actually came to visit to confirm the issue (and offered to loan me another hazro monitor if I wanted to send mine back for repair - didn't need to in the end as the loaner had the same problem and thus they could experiment on that one!). The warranty centre have asked what make and model of card I've got, so I suspect they may be getting one to do some tests on.

Man of Honour
I called them up just now to inform them of myself experiencing the issue too, I have been told that they were notified by you Phil of the issue and the issue is being worked on at the moment and they should have an update for us by this afternoon.

If the fix is a firmware update then they will do this for us but if it's a swapout then that will be done too :D

Soldato
Yeah, I've been in contanst contact with them about the issue, they're really pro-active about getting it solved. At the moment it looks like a Vista issue only as their test-beds on XP are working fine. They've gone out and bought the same graphics card as I have to make sure it works. I also mentioned to my account manager that you were also having the exact same issue and provided a link to your post.

I'm currently installing XP to do a test here and make sure it works fine, at which point they'll be able to figure out whats going on.

As I always say: The sign of a good company isn't one that doesn't have problems, but rather what they do when problems occur!

Hope that apart from this issue you're enjoying the S-IPS goodness!

Man of Honour
I'll be looking forward to your results mate, I don't have an XP machine with DVI output only VGA and all my DVI output machines are Vista (Ultimate and Home premium). It's defo an issue with Vista and DVI though, Vista and VGA works fine.

Hoping for a fix soon as I prefer to have monitor go into sleep mode if I nod off in the eve or step out for a few hours and forget to turn the display off!

Associate
OP
Guys, mine did it for the first time yesterday. Looks like the common thread may well be Vista / driver related. Guess what, when I said mine wasn't doing it I had tested it on Vista with a particular driver setup

I reinstalled Vista over the weekend and it's now flashing away when it goes into DPMS. Insterestingly it also does it when you shutdown the PC as well as going into standby from Vista. Current driver version is 169.25 WHQL.

I'm trying to recall which drivers I was running before, I'm not sure now. They were either the same or one of the Beta releases though not the latest one.

I'll hook up my work lappy tonight, it's running XP so I'll see if it works with that.

Soldato
Tested with XP and it went into DPMS mode fine, which means it's definitely a Vista issue. They're just about to start testing the monitor with Vista now and should have an update later today or early tomorrow about what exactly is the problem.

Sounds promising! :)

Man of Honour
Got a call from Hazro a moment ago too and they confirmed no issues in XP so will test in Vista and give an update by end of day tomorrow. Looks like it's defo a Vista / display driver in vista DPMS issue somewhere, could be the screen not getting the correct signal when Vista issues a dpms state or something!

Soldato
Got the call as well. Apparently it may need a firmware update or new board revision. That may take a little while as the board development is outsourced to a Taiwanese company.

Was offered a full refund if I wanted it, needless to say I refused, grown far too attached to the image quality on this thing! There's a perfectly suitable work-around until such time as the fix is in place - the power button. :p Alternatively VGA input works with sleep so I may just use that for a little while; the quality of the AD converter looked very good when I tested it.

Man of Honour
Aye, if they do improve the 24" later this year with height adjustable stand for example then I will sell this one and get one of those just for that hehe :D

I'll see what they call me with tomorrow though, I'm hoping it's a simple FW update. I'm still getting used to the different motion in games, it's not ghosting or anything ike that, it's just the motion is quite different to the BenQ, very hard to explain but I need to game more to get the feel of it!

Edit* just come across one final issue I hope they resolve with a new stand! I tend to use portrait mode for photo presentations and slideshows from time to time so would like to have a pivot function!

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, it's meant to be able to take any 100mm vesa stand but I haven't found any that a) I like the look of or b) will handle a 24" (most only go up to 23").

Talking to my sales rep the other day he suggested he may try to talk the higher ups into offering a bespoke one as an optional extra (like the lut board and colorimeter they're planning for some point in the future).

Personally I never use portrait mode so it wasn't a big loss for me.

Associate
OP
Mine works fine with my work lappy which runs XP, so the evidence seems to stack up.

You can request a serial now for the Hazro colour management software which is going to be included with the monitors in the near future. As discussed by all the guys, I've had top service from Hazro.

Back
Top Bottom